• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2018 7:21 pm
Feb 22, 2012
461 posts
487 upvotes
Canada
halcyon wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 10:55 am
It's a reflection of how poorly this game is selling compared to everything else on the market now. A great game is no longer good enough and tomb raider In particular should have released on another day. Between Spiderman, Cod and RDR2, the game doesn't stand a chance to do well.
1) This.

2) Plus an over-saturation of the market in general. Not just new games, but an abundance of AAA gold from the last 3 years that can be had for next to nothing if you are a shrewd shopper. (Old school gamers like myself will recall this is what caused the video game crash of '82 - the only difference now is that the overall quality of games is higher, but there are still plenty of stinkers - Note: Im not calling TR a stinker, not this specific one anyhow)

3) Single player driven games are on the decline. Yes, God of War did very well but that was the exception, not the rule. If we get 2 or 3 great campaigns a year, that's all there's room for in today's market. GOW and RDR2 crowds out TR. Even COD dumped the campaign this year in favor of battle royale. Maybe the next Tomb Raider will be battle royale (lol - I'm kidding - I hate this trend - I'm old school)

4) Are we still in a global recession? That may have something to do with it also. People just don't want to shell out $80 + tax for a new game when they can play fortnite for free (the rise of console free to play? I hope not. Again Old School)
Last edited by Styleman on Oct 18th, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RFD: Pick any two.
In stock
Low Price
Quality Product
Jul 9, 2009
148 posts
89 upvotes
Cornwall
So much for me getting a decent price selling my copy on Kijiji!!

Disappointed But Relieved Face
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2003
3552 posts
1198 upvotes
putty3d wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 11:58 am
So much for me getting a decent price selling my copy on Kijiji!!

Disappointed But Relieved Face
Hope they have a trade 50% more credit at EbGames again soon. That's why I don't have a copy (which I didn't even end up playing)
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2008
1953 posts
1584 upvotes
Winnipeg
ovni121 wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 11:45 am
Awesome game. I finished it last week and it was a fun playtrough. I don't think the expansion pass or deluxe edition bonus are worth it. It gives you some unbalanced item at the start of the game which are not too good after a few hours. The expansion pass contains challenge tombs that might be nice but I don't think it's worth the extra cost.

With my first playtrough, I finished the game with 98% completion in about 30 hours.

I'd pick this up right now for 50$ if you intend to play it.
Same here I finished the game at 98% and really enjoyed it. Looks absolutely amazing on Xbox X in 4K.
:arrow: "Proudly Serving The RFD Community"
Aug 6, 2015
111 posts
137 upvotes
Toronto, ON
This was the E3 price at walmart ($50.00). Luckily, I was able to get it at that price. I beat the game in few days and sold it back to EB on 30-days satisfaction program for $50.00+Edge. I'm glad I did not pay full price as this game is not worth it. Out of the three Tomb Raiders this was - at least for me - the weakest of them all. I'd wait for the price to drop to abt $10-$15 range.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2017
1339 posts
1555 upvotes
God people who say "wait until... it'll be cheaper" really need to shut up
Aug 30, 2010
275 posts
153 upvotes
Edmonton
Styleman wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 11:55 am
1) This.

2) Plus an over-saturation of the market in general. Not just new games, but an abundance of AAA gold from the last 3 years that can be had for next to nothing if you are a shrewd shopper. (Old school gamers like myself will recall this is what caused the video game crash of '82 - the only difference now is that the overall quality of games is higher, but there are still plenty of stinkers - Note: Im not calling TR a stinker, not this specific one anyhow)

3) Single player driven games are on the decline. Yes, God of War did very well but that was the exception, not the rule. If we get 2 or 3 great campaigns a year, that's all there's room for in today's market. GOW and RDR2 crowds out TR. Even COD dumped the campaign this year in favor of battle royale. Maybe the next Tomb Raider will be battle royale (lol - I'm kidding - I hate this trend - I'm old school)

4) Are we still in a global recession? That may have something to do with it also. People just don't want to shell out $80 + tax for a new game when they can play fortnite for free (the rise of console free to play? I hope not. Again Old School)
Good points although I'd say 3) is a bit of a stretch, GOW, Spider-Man and RDR2 are all single player and GOW say at the top of the charts for 4 weeks, Spider-Man is still in the top 3, Oddessy sold very well. Prople are just fed up of BAD single player. And as popular as Fortnite, is, it is not reperestative of the industry as a whole. It will certainly lead to some cool online coop type games coming forward but solid story and well designed mechanics will always win out. I mean just look at next year, KH3, Death Stranding (if Kojima doesn't delay it), Days gone, Metro Exodus, Shekerio, and M'F Shenmue 3!

TR is suffering as it's just not as good as the first or second one, and its lead writer had some huge life shit happen part way through development didn't help. It also has to contend with Uncharted being a better evolution of the idea.
Dec 27, 2012
203 posts
254 upvotes
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 11:53 am
With the exception of Nintendo games and Cod/GTA/RDR it's kind of the new norm now.

It'll be 30$ by black friday.
not really. there are a ton of games that don't drop in price so drastically and quickly. heck, witcher 3 complete edition still sells for $40-50 several years after its release. how about uncharted 4: lost legacy which has only dropped by $10 since its release over a year ago? (currently selling for $40). crash bandicoot remaster is still selling at its full price over a year after its release... gt sport is about a year old now and it, too, has only dropped by $30 as it continues to sell at $50. i don't expect we will see god of war at the $30 price point on black friday or boxing day, either. generally, only the poor selling games drop in price so quickly out of the gate... for everything else, it is more like 12-18 months (or longer) before you start seeing games in the $20-30 sweet spot.
Feb 22, 2012
461 posts
487 upvotes
Canada
angel177 wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 2:29 pm
Good points although I'd say 3) is a bit of a stretch, GOW, Spider-Man and RDR2 are all single player and GOW say at the top of the charts for 4 weeks, Spider-Man is still in the top 3, Oddessy sold very well. Prople are just fed up of BAD single player.
Ok. I agree that point 3 is a stretch.

However, I think we could both agree that the single player driven 'campaign based' market-space has continued to shrink over the last 10 years and will likely continue to shrink over the next 10 years as well.
RFD: Pick any two.
In stock
Low Price
Quality Product
Oct 26, 2012
591 posts
775 upvotes
Holy hell. I wonder how long it will take for Black Ops to fall in price or if it's in the "GTA/Nintendo" bracket of never dropping in price.
Jun 27, 2012
744 posts
1118 upvotes
Prediction: prices for every game released in the last month will drop significantly in the next 2 months because of Red Dead Redemption 2.
2010-2019 Contest Winnings = $0
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2007
2246 posts
806 upvotes
Toronto
miniflight wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 10:18 am
wow game prices are dropping faster than ever
As freakx2001 mentioned, if they can sell this for $50 if you pre-ordered during this summer, then why let them milk us for $80 on Day 1 when we all know they can go as low as $50 right off the bat? This is just how some game companies are really milking us, especially ones who sell a season pass (like Shadow of the Tomb Raider) for $40.
freakx2001 wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 10:35 am
This was the same price as the pre-order back during the summer.

That's how much I paid.
Exactly.
FreedomG20 wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 10:38 am
Might as well wait until next year for the GOTY edition with season pass.

Ever better.. wait another 6 months afterward for that price drop Face With Tears Of Joy
Knowing Square-Enix, I'd be willing to pay $35 for the all-in-one complete package (game + season pass content), but not $80 game + $40 season pass. $50 for the game + $40 for the season pass is also steep.
GNKRFD wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 10:49 am
I don't remember new releases having these kinda discounts shortly after releasing, it's pretty nice, finally
Don't forget their Season Pass for $40 on PSN/Xbox. With so many games coming out they're going to have to do better with their pricing. $50 for a game + $40 for a season pass isn't acceptable.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
4704 posts
1526 upvotes
Toronto
lenz33 wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 2:23 pm
This was the E3 price at walmart ($50.00). Luckily, I was able to get it at that price. I beat the game in few days and sold it back to EB on 30-days satisfaction program for $50.00+Edge. I'm glad I did not pay full price as this game is not worth it. Out of the three Tomb Raiders this was - at least for me - the weakest of them all. I'd wait for the price to drop to abt $10-$15 range.
This is why PC Gaming is ass for single player games. It takes several months for a game to drop to $20 or less. Plus you can't play and trade games that are not worth their launch price.
Aug 30, 2010
275 posts
153 upvotes
Edmonton
Styleman wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 3:00 pm
Ok. I agree that point 3 is a stretch.

However, I think we could both agree that the single player driven 'campaign based' market-space has continued to shrink over the last 10 years and will likely continue to shrink over the next 10 years as well.
There is not a decline in people wanting single player games, there is a decline in publishers wanting to make them because they want more money that is brought in through multiplayer. And eventually people will tire of the same bullshit multiplayer trying to squeeze the extra dollar or two out of them, or they'll move on to another game.

The saving grace is Sony, who know that single player sells as long as the publisher doesn't interfere.
Banned
Apr 25, 2018
171 posts
269 upvotes
Montreal
Thanks, i’ve been waiting for this game’s price to drop, just didn’t expect this soon.