Expired Hot Deals

[Walmart] Shadow Of The Tomb Raider. PS4/Xbox One. $49.96

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2018 7:21 pm
Mar 15, 2010
637 posts
884 upvotes
Toronto
Aside from the really big games like RDR2, I am so far behind in games like these that I find myself playing games of 1-3 years old. By doing this, games can be had for under $20, and since there are so many, a game like tomb raider can wait a year or two. But a game like RDR2 will be played opening day. Just like what I did for zelda BOTW
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2008
1790 posts
300 upvotes
I've started this game a few days ago after finishing Spider Man and I find it quite entertaining. I need my Uncharted fix and this provides a good approximation. I am enjoying it more than the second game so far. I do find it has some of the worst mixed sound I ever ran into - it's not positional at all, it seems, and the dialog is often impossible to make out. I would guess it will drop in price further for holidays.
Oct 18, 2016
162 posts
71 upvotes
Damn hoping for a similar (or cheaper) price on Steam during BF/Boxing Day/Steam Winter sale.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5087 posts
765 upvotes
calgary
xristophoros wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 2:35 pm
not really. there are a ton of games that don't drop in price so drastically and quickly. heck, witcher 3 complete edition still sells for $40-50 several years after its release. how about uncharted 4: lost legacy which has only dropped by $10 since its release over a year ago? (currently selling for $40). crash bandicoot remaster is still selling at its full price over a year after its release... gt sport is about a year old now and it, too, has only dropped by $30 as it continues to sell at $50. i don't expect we will see god of war at the $30 price point on black friday or boxing day, either. generally, only the poor selling games drop in price so quickly out of the gate... for everything else, it is more like 12-18 months (or longer) before you start seeing games in the $20-30 sweet spot.
You are looking at MSRP, those games go on sale.
TW3: complete edition has been 20$ from the digital storefronts many times over the past few years.
Uncharted Lost Legacy was 15$ at the end of August, well UC4 and UCC were both 12$.
GT Sport was 20$ in June.

Just gotta be patient and look for sales, such as this.
Jul 9, 2009
144 posts
83 upvotes
Cornwall
aos007 wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 4:55 pm
I've started this game a few days ago after finishing Spider Man and I find it quite entertaining. I need my Uncharted fix and this provides a good approximation. I am enjoying it more than the second game so far. I do find it has some of the worst mixed sound I ever ran into - it's not positional at all, it seems, and the dialog is often impossible to make out. I would guess it will drop in price further for holidays.
I just finished the main story and I thought it was my headphones that were acting up. I was constantly looking behind Lara becaused it seemed the enemies were all around me. I'm even using Sony's headset with the specific Tomb Raider sound settings loaded. I'm glad to know it's not just me.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2008
1790 posts
300 upvotes
putty3d wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 5:42 pm
I just finished the main story and I thought it was my headphones that were acting up. I was constantly looking behind Lara becaused it seemed the enemies were all around me. I'm even using Sony's headset with the specific Tomb Raider sound settings loaded. I'm glad to know it's not just me.
Yup, enemy chat keeps coming from my rear speakers too, regardless of where the enemies are and where I'm facing.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
2214 posts
837 upvotes
Sudbury
My $50 pre-order from Amazon is still wrapped sitting on my PS4....I sadly have no desire to play it :(
Dec 24, 2017
452 posts
384 upvotes
I am playing the game right now on PS4 Pro and its really boring compared to the previous 2 games. Wait until it's $10 or something...
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2007
2422 posts
605 upvotes
Da boot
aos007 wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 4:55 pm
Make a ticket with Square, theres a thread over at gamefaqs all about this, people have been making tickets to draw attention, the sound was perfect apparently before the newest patch.

I've enjoyed all the Tomb Raider games in this trilogy, the spelunking in this is superior to Uncharted because you need to use all the tricks you have to navigate, not always just pressing "X" to jump from one ledge to the next.

If you're not into collecting everything this game probably will get dull, but the story told in all the objects is quite good.

Anyone with this audio issue PLEASE make a ticket with square support to draw attention to this so it can actually start to get attention and get fixed.

I bought this at $50 from the E3 presale, it's a decent game, if you enjoy exploring, you'll love this. If you want more combat then you'll hate it.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2009
4598 posts
1214 upvotes
Toronto
For what it's worth I liked Shadow a hell of a lot more than Rise, which is not saying a lot. Rise felt like a tedious slog with endless backtracking across a bland environment and a story that very quickly goes nowhere. This one still has some of the same problems but Lara is at least slightly less whiny about her dad and they manage to keep things fresh visually for the most part. The story actually goes some places and doesn't just end in a big wet fart like the last one.

I do think the series has had an identity crisis ever since the 2013 reboot. People kept complaining how there wasn't enough exploration and tombs of the original games, and Lara was basically a psychopath. This game is way more in line with those games but apparently some people aren't happy about that either. Personally, the combat has always kinda sucked in these games so I'm glad there was way less of it this time around.

All that said, wait for Black Friday/Boxing Day if you're not in a hurry. It's only a month away and almost for sure this will be cheaper by then.
Aug 6, 2015
49 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Styleman wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 11:55 am

2) Plus an over-saturation of the market in general. Not just new games, but an abundance of AAA gold from the last 3 years that can be had for next to nothing if you are a shrewd shopper. (Old school gamers like myself will recall this is what caused the video game crash of '82 - the only difference now is that the overall quality of games is higher, but there are still plenty of stinkers - Note: Im not calling TR a stinker, not this specific one anyhow)

3) Single player driven games are on the decline. Yes, God of War did very well but that was the exception, not the rule. If we get 2 or 3 great campaigns a year, that's all there's room for in today's market. GOW and RDR2 crowds out TR. Even COD dumped the campaign this year in favor of battle royale. Maybe the next Tomb Raider will be battle royale (lol - I'm kidding - I hate this trend - I'm old school)
ad 2) Shadow of TR is not a AAA game, and cannot compare with the likes of The Witcher, God of War, BOTW or Uncharted which were and still are the masterpieces. So it cannot command the same or close to the same price. As an example - just last week - GOG.com had a sale on The Witcher series - all 3 Witchers (1+2+3 incl. all DLCs) was $35.00CAD taxes in. So asking $50.00 for TR is ridiculous.

ad 3) single player games are on decline only because of the publishers/developers, not because of the gamers. The greed and milking the public has become the norm in the gaming industry.
Aug 30, 2010
243 posts
109 upvotes
Edmonton
lenz33 wrote:
Oct 19th, 2018 3:06 pm

ad 3) single player games are on decline only because of the publishers/developers, not because of the gamers. The greed and milking the public has become the norm in the gaming industry.
Honestly they aren't on the decline, only 2 publishers are pushing that lie, EA and Activision, And Why? They both make huge games than benefit from the multiplayer Lootbox/packs/etc gambling machine.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2003
3410 posts
979 upvotes
lenz33 wrote:
Oct 19th, 2018 3:06 pm
ad 2) Shadow of TR is not a AAA game, ....
I think you're mixing up AAA game vs. highly rated/high quality title.

TR is a major brand title by a major publisher/studio, costing millions of dollars with a very high production value. It's a AAA title. That doesn't necessarily equate to a high quality title or even a successful one.

It fails because it's competing against open world titles and higher quality/well received titles like Spiderman, GOW, etc. Not to mention RDR2 and COD in the same time frame. It's pretty obvious it wasn't going to do well in the marketplace and required a delay to really have a chance at thriving.

Regarding the comment about multiplayer games being more popular because of publishers.... Gamers did tell them they wanted more multiplayer with their wallets. Publishers make more money there because that's where the demand exists.

The single player experience will always be around and be valued... but at $60-80, we want GOW, Last of Us and Witcher levels of storytelling. The shorter, less impactful stories like TR will be relegated to the $20-40 space. But that's left to the individual and what they deem as being of value.