Shopping Discussion

Walmart starting Amazon type Prime online shopping at HALF price !!

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 27th, 2015 4:27 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Jul 2, 2015
395 posts
66 upvotes
Canada

Walmart starting Amazon type Prime online shopping at HALF price !!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/bus ... /27267183/

Its mostly in US right now, but just a matter of time before it comes to Canada. In the past few yrs walmart.ca has become quite popular in Canada.

Amazon Prime is $ 99 in US , Walmart Prime is going to be half of that at only $ 50 for FREE & UNLIMITED shipping.

I think this is going to be a major game changer :) ..its going to affect both Amazon & Costco :)

Whether you like Wal Mart or not, they do have good prices & their FREE shipping to your door step ( before they changed it ) in Canada was a huge succees..now you can get that back with Walmart Prime, when they start in Canada for $ 50 a year.
32 replies
Banned
Apr 23, 2015
994 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It is just a matter of time until everyone develops drone delivery systems. My prediction is that by 2020 at least some retailers will be using drones for delivery of some items.
Banned
May 3, 2009
6148 posts
781 upvotes
So basically the same thing as few months ago but now you have to pay $50?

No thanks
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
3901 posts
2190 upvotes
Ontario
Unless Walmart expands their online inventory, I'll still stick with Amazon.
Kaboom! Kaboom! KABOOM!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
Sticking with Amazon for sure. Only wish they would lower their prime few in Canada (or at least allow family sharing like they do in the U.S.)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
TCWeasel wrote: Unless Walmart expands their online inventory, I'll still stick with Amazon.
That's what I was thinking. I've made 3 orders at Walmart. I've made 3 orders today at Amazon.
Walmart has nothing on Amazon when it comes to ecom. Unless it's for a single package of ramen or a stick of gum.

EDIT: As always, Walmart.com has 10x the selection of .ca just like Amazon.
Might be worth it in the US. But unless they pull an Amazon in terms of selection I definitely won't be subbing in Canada especially since I highly doubt they'll be doing same day let alone 2 day.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11320 posts
3870 upvotes
Nowhere
They have had this for a few months now. It may be half the price but it doesn't give the extras that Amazon.com Prime does. It is also 3 day shipping. It is not worth it in my opinion. I wouldn't pay for what used to be free or pay $50 for the privilege of getting things shipped earlier. I'd rather shop elsewhere.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18945 posts
10527 upvotes
booradleysmart wrote: Whether you like Wal Mart or not, they do have good prices & their FREE shipping to your door step ( before they changed it ) in Canada was a huge succees..
Define "huge success" - is it people spending $5 and getting items shipped for free to their door? Margin's are not that high to make that profitable. If your basis for determining whether it was a success is the feedback on RFD, then it was a massive failure. Most people only used it to order a small number of items or items on clearance, not for their regular grocery purchases. Some even deliberately made small orders (under $1) for "fun".

If free shipping was such a huge success, then they would still offer it. Instead they have changed their focus on different delivery methods like their lockers.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4567 posts
3509 upvotes
Montreal
With the current walmart online inventory? I wouldn't want it even if it was free.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
Alvord wrote: Is this Walmart Canada?
Read the first post in this thread.
Its mostly in US right now, but just a matter of time before it comes to Canada. In the past few yrs walmart.ca has become quite popular in Canada
Nov 28, 2011
888 posts
399 upvotes
Markham
redgrandam wrote: Sticking with Amazon for sure. Only wish they would lower their prime few in Canada (or at least allow family sharing like they do in the U.S.)
+1

And also offering Amazon video like in the states
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2010
1030 posts
247 upvotes
Prime is still much better value for Americans. Plus, when there is a problem, you deal with Amazon CS Reps and not Walmart...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
RodDog999 wrote: Prime is still much better value for Americans. Plus, when there is a problem, you deal with Amazon CS Reps and not Walmart...
As much as I rip on Indian call centers I actually find dealing with Amazon quite pleasant.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1026 upvotes
Cheap Cat wrote: They have had this for a few months now. It may be half the price but it doesn't give the extras that Amazon.com Prime does. It is also 3 day shipping. It is not worth it in my opinion. I wouldn't pay for what used to be free or pay $50 for the privilege of getting things shipped earlier. I'd rather shop elsewhere.
Still waiting for a response to your unprovoked and mean spirited insult against me in the other thread.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
TrevorK wrote: Define "huge success" - is it people spending $5 and getting items shipped for free to their door? Margin's are not that high to make that profitable. If your basis for determining whether it was a success is the feedback on RFD, then it was a massive failure. Most people only used it to order a small number of items or items on clearance, not for their regular grocery purchases. Some even deliberately made small orders (under $1) for "fun".

If free shipping was such a huge success, then they would still offer it. Instead they have changed their focus on different delivery methods like their lockers.
Blame it on certain people ordering a can of Pringles with free shipping which cost more than the product (an RFDer did this)
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1026 upvotes
XtremeModder wrote: Blame it on certain people ordering a can of Pringles with free shipping which cost more than the product (an RFDer did this)
Or the people ordering one pack of 20 cent ramen noodles.

They even boasted about doing so because it was some sort of postal economic warfare against a company they hated.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2003
1558 posts
734 upvotes
redgrandam wrote: Sticking with Amazon for sure. Only wish they would lower their prime few in Canada (or at least allow family sharing like they do in the U.S.)
You could always set up multiple adresses/credit cards and just use the same account
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18945 posts
10527 upvotes
NG wrote: Still waiting for a response to your unprovoked and mean spirited insult against me in the other thread.
Why clutter this thread with the petty arguments you are having with someone in another thread? What happens in a thread, stays in a thread.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2009
1391 posts
498 upvotes
XtremeModder wrote: Blame it on certain people ordering a can of Pringles with free shipping which cost more than the product (an RFDer did this)
they only did this until they could crush target, once they were out of the way do you think they would continue free shipping when they could send a couple more bucks to the waltons?