Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 31, 2004
520 posts
19 upvotes
Ottawa

Walmart - Testing cashiers for adherance to store policies and procedures

Recently I was in a Wal-mart store (and don't assume in Ottawa) looking for merchandise on sale which I could not locate. An employee went to the storeroom to look and asked me to wait at the desk for the ladies try-on/fitting room.

Along comes a different employee with wad of cash in her hand. She approaches what appears to be a shopper with a shopping cart and hands her the money, the employee comments that there is $400. The employee tells the shopper to spend about $200 in 2 different purchases to go through the cash registers. She further instructs her to place merchandise on the bottom rack of the cart and to insert other goods inside packaging. The shopper picks up 4 bras, leaves 2 empty boxes at the fitting room desk and inserts a bra each into the remaining boxes so that each box has double the merchandise. The final instruction the shopper receives is to advise security by telephone prior to going through two specific check-out lines so that the camera can be trained on the cashier. The shopper in question demonstrated that she was an old hand in selecting merchandise to go through the cash and has done this before.

Each of the two cashes had long lines and eventually, the shopper was going through the first of the two cash lines as I was leaving the store.

What I concluded is that the cashiers who were probably new were being tested to make sure internal policies were being followed by checking the bottom of the cart for unpaid merchandise and that boxes not sealed were opened to check that the contents matched what was supposed to be in the box. I suspect this happens to all cashiers and perhaps if they fail, they get no more shifts.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2008
2273 posts
290 upvotes
North York
ken_ll wrote:
Sep 11th, 2010 12:46 am
Recently I was in a Wal-mart store (and don't assume in Ottawa) looking for merchandise on sale which I could not locate. An employee went to the storeroom to look and asked me to wait at the desk for the ladies try-on/fitting room.

Along comes a different employee with wad of cash in her hand. She approaches what appears to be a shopper with a shopping cart and hands her the money, the employee comments that there is $400. The employee tells the shopper to spend about $200 in 2 different purchases to go through the cash registers. She further instructs her to place merchandise on the bottom rack of the cart and to insert other goods inside packaging. The shopper picks up 4 bras, leaves 2 empty boxes at the fitting room desk and inserts a bra each into the remaining boxes so that each box has double the merchandise. The final instruction the shopper receives is to advise security by telephone prior to going through two specific check-out lines so that the camera can be trained on the cashier. The shopper in question demonstrated that she was an old hand in selecting merchandise to go through the cash and has done this before.

Each of the two cashes had long lines and eventually, the shopper was going through the first of the two cash lines as I was leaving the store.

What I concluded is that the cashiers who were probably new were being tested to make sure internal policies were being followed by checking the bottom of the cart for unpaid merchandise and that boxes not sealed were opened to check that the contents matched what was supposed to be in the box. I suspect this happens to all cashiers and perhaps if they fail, they get no more shifts.
Three golden rules of cashier

BOB - Bottom of buggy
LISA - Look inside always
MITCH - Merchandise in customer hands

:lol: been there...done that!!!
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2007
2361 posts
423 upvotes
Thornhill
I used to always 'pretend' not to see the BOB when I worked as a cashier when friends came to get stuff at walmart. Sam Walton can suck it. :D
Aug 5, 2007
636 posts
91 upvotes
the "customer" was an employee testing the cashier. it helps having employees do it because u trust your coworkers more than strangers (random mystery shoppers). this basically imiplies "trust no one".

cashiers who fail aren't generally given less shifts, instead they are educated on store policies.

if they keep failing however...
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2008
2273 posts
290 upvotes
North York
darksith31 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2010 1:50 am
I used to always 'pretend' not to see the BOB when I worked as a cashier when friends came to get stuff at walmart. Sam Walton can suck it. :D

This is called "sweet hearting" and the cashier will be as guilty as the person checking out. :evil:
Banned
Sep 24, 2006
4699 posts
204 upvotes
Ethan15 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2010 1:44 am
Three golden rules of cashier

BOB - Bottom of buggy
LISA - Look inside always
MITCH - Merchandise in customer hands

:lol: been there...done that!!!

Wow talk about bad memories, lol.

Remember being 16 as a Walmart cashier, and this lady came up to me buying these two bed comforters.. both were REALLY heavy, i open them up and she had shoved power tools, medicine, food, you name it it was inside the package! She ran out the store when i opened it, lol
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1370 posts
231 upvotes
Ethan15 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2010 2:02 pm
This is called "sweet hearting" and the cashier will be as guilty as the person checking out. :evil:

When I worked at Canadian Tire I was told in no uncertain terms that if I wanted to make any purchases I HAD to do it via the customer service desk instead of the regular lines.

Obviously this was to prevent this sort of thing from happening.

What I didn't realize at first was that they meant if I EVER wanted to make any purchases, not simply when I was coming off a shift and wearing my uniform. One day I was off work, out of uniform, and lining up to buy some things. The cashier got a phone call in the middle of the transaction. She said, "you want to speak to who? Are you sure? Um, OK..." and then, surprised, passed the phone to me. "It's for you!" It was the store manager, watching from the mirrored glass upstairs. "Do you remember the policy about employee purchases?"

For the entire duration of the time I worked at that store, ANY time I wanted to make a purchase, I had to do it via the Customer Service desk.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
2491 posts
474 upvotes
Kris81 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2010 2:53 pm
Wow talk about bad memories, lol.

Remember being 16 as a Walmart cashier, and this lady came up to me buying these two bed comforters.. both were REALLY heavy, i open them up and she had shoved power tools, medicine, food, you name it it was inside the package! She ran out the store when i opened it, lol

I wonder if this is why the self check out lanes have disappeared.
Apr 13, 2009
871 posts
109 upvotes
When I shop at Walmart there's no help available for shoppers, many items are out of stock, the shelves are a giant mess. Too bad Walmart's focus is more about entrapping and disciplining their own people instead of looking after their customers.
Sep 12, 2010
8 posts
Westcoast
ChuckCharles wrote:
Sep 13th, 2010 3:19 pm
When I shop at Walmart there's no help available for shoppers, many items are out of stock, the shelves are a giant mess. Too bad Walmart's focus is more about entrapping and disciplining their own people instead of looking after their customers.
I agree ... definitely an empty feeling. Cold environment.

I will say though ... I had a really good experience at the store off Grandview Highway in East Vancouver back in the spring. April/May 2010 or so ... I stopped in after work around 7:15am one weekend to pick up some cereal and to price the items in the vitamins/supplements/protein(s) section ... I was there for quite awhile flippin' through coupons and sizing up different products and making some general notes on a piece of paper (as I compared the products to Superstore and some other spots). The store manager happened to come by the aisle ... and she was looking over some of the products and talking to her staff. All positive stuff ... asking them how their week was going, etc. I happened to ask her a question about one product, and we got to talking about price jumps / various products / sales, etc. She agreed it's a challenge out there (shopping in general). Pointed out to her it's frustrating how something like the Six Star Muscle whey protein can jump from $18.99 - 29.99 (I'll buy it if it's under $19 - 21) amongst the VARIOUS stores out there, theirs included. She agreed and said it was a trip ... noted they had had the product on for $10.99 or 11.99 in the past ... and that it really varies (I pointed out the same with a few other stores I frequent). She gave me props for using coupons and said she does the same when shopping for 'self and family. Talked for a few minutes ... she even did some product price-checking for me on stuff that wasn't properly marked on the shelves (compared to the flyer).
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1370 posts
231 upvotes
ChuckCharles wrote:
Sep 13th, 2010 3:19 pm
When I shop at Walmart there's no help available for shoppers, many items are out of stock, the shelves are a giant mess.

Have you shopped at Zellers lately?
Deal Addict
May 18, 2004
2684 posts
272 upvotes
GreyingJay wrote:
Sep 14th, 2010 10:32 am
Have you shopped at Zellers lately?

yeah walmart is considerably better at keeping their store clean and stocked compared to zellers

in any regard. it's good they test their employees once in a while, shoplifting hurts the honest people in the end.