Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Walmart US] AT&T 25gb + unlimited talk/text on prepaid for $40 USD - Canadian Usage

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 23rd, 2019 10:55 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
9697 posts
9796 upvotes
banker8 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2019 12:04 am
Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I wasn't aware of that perk.

That include all of Roger's sub-brands? Can Chatr and Fido customers call us for free as well, without them requiring a US calling plan?
I never asked, great question. Guaranteed those calls are free to you, though.
May 7, 2019
153 posts
77 upvotes
sirvar wrote:
Jun 14th, 2019 12:03 am
If you check this screenshot from the link in my original post it shows pay per use.

That's a typo. They're a little slack with the quality control of their marketing material.

I'm on the $50 8GB plan, and can confirm there's absolutely NO "pay per use" roaming charges in Canada.

The Walmart 25GB promotion clearly states:

"Our $50/mo. plan includes:

8GB high-speed data plus 17GB bonus high-speed data for use in the U.S., Mexico & Canada

Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Mexico & Canada"

https://www.att.com/prepaid/walmart-offer.html
Nov 18, 2009
198 posts
11 upvotes
I'd like to be apart of the group too! From toronto
Nov 2, 2018
135 posts
140 upvotes
When I went to the US last year I ordered a 2 week prepaid sim card with t mobile from Amazon.

In Canada, I have a $20 5GB plan with SaskTel and I use TextNow with a local number. I didn't know TextNow operates a MVNO in the US on t mobiles network. So idk how but everytime I made a call through TextNow it would actually call through the phone's dialer and the receiving party would see my Canadian number somehow and it wouldn't be a VoIP call.

I'm wondering if I get a prepaid t mobile card and use it with TextNow in Canada, would it still work with outgoing calls like the way it did in the US? Or it'd just be a regular VoIP call
Jun 13, 2019
4 posts
4 upvotes
Hi all,

Created a new account just to post in this thread. Please forgive me in advance if my post violates any rules. I have used AT&T plan in Canada for a long time. One of the things that I'd like to mention is that in the past I used to buy the AT&T refill codes from Callingmart which does not charge any tax and regularly have upto 10% discount offers (+ 1% in calling mart points). If the calling Mart codes can be combined with the autopay (which I believe they should be) then you could potentially get another 11% off on USD 40 plan and no tax. Anyone planning to buy this plan might want to look into that.

Hope this helps.
Cheers!
Apr 17, 2014
876 posts
323 upvotes
Corunna, ON
How does the group buy work? I'm interested and live 15 kilometers from the Bluewater bridge.

Does someone buy a bunch of lines and get paid via email transfer from a stranger and just hope they keep paying every month.

I'm interested but don't understand how it works.

Pm me if this is off topic.

Also if you need another in your group I can have my sim ready tonight.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2015
3582 posts
3324 upvotes
Just got to Walmart buffalo
Images
  • DSC_0001.JPG
Please DON'T PM me for SPC codes, kindly ask for them in the Samsung thread's (HOT DEALS) section and I will respond with one.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
9697 posts
9796 upvotes
More advice:
Buy the cheapest prepaid flip phone from Walmart, activate the phone, toss the phone in a river and use your preferred unlocked phone.

This just keeps getting better.

FYI folks, your Samsung S10+ North America isn't dual sim, only sad bit of news.
May 7, 2019
153 posts
77 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Jun 14th, 2019 8:45 am
More advice:
Buy the cheapest prepaid flip phone from Walmart, activate the phone, toss the phone in a river and use your preferred unlocked phone.

Agreed.

The flip phone is about USD $30 + state tax (8% on NY).

No need to toss the phone in the river. It'll make a good toddler's toy :-)
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
3199 posts
2613 upvotes
Muskoka
A few more fun facts

Mentioned but worth repeating - if you use up all of your 25GB of data, unlimited data service will continue at 128kb until your plan renews.

You are assigned a US IP address, even while in Canada. Yes you can stream US Netflix, and also you will NOT be able to watch TSN highlights or similar Cdn feeds that use geolocating. Just something to be aware of. May need a VPN to 'spoof' that you are IN Cda. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

I am on the 8+8GB promo currently and I used my Cdn credit card to order the SIM and was able to activate in Cda and use my Cdn credit card for autopay. I did have to have my SIM shipped to an American relative and she mailed it to me. Getting the SIM for this promo is straight forward - you have to physically go into a Walmart. My dad from Fla is visiting next month, I may switch to this if the promo continues.
Koodo
Public Mobile
Jun 7, 2009
440 posts
183 upvotes
Toronto
spotts01 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2019 9:11 am
A few more fun facts

Mentioned but worth repeating - if you use up all of your 25GB of data, unlimited data service will continue at 128kb until your plan renews.

You are assigned a US IP address, even while in Canada. Yes you can stream US Netflix, and also you will NOT be able to watch TSN highlights or similar Cdn feeds that use geolocating. Just something to be aware of. May need a VPN to 'spoof' that you are IN Cda. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

I am on the 8+8GB promo currently and I used my Cdn credit card to order the SIM and was able to activate in Cda and use my Cdn credit card for autopay. I did have to have my SIM shipped to an American relative and she mailed it to me. Getting the SIM for this promo is straight forward - you have to physically go into a Walmart. My dad from Fla is visiting next month, I may switch to this if the promo continues.
I assume this is for streaming only and that other IPs see you as US.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
3199 posts
2613 upvotes
Muskoka
souledge wrote:
Jun 14th, 2019 9:22 am
I assume this is for streaming only and that other IPs see you as US.
Oh yes - everything works fine. Only those sites that limit streaming based on location
Koodo
Public Mobile
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
9697 posts
9796 upvotes
spotts01 wrote:
If you aren't running at this now, folks, we might never win you. I consider the lack of access to Canadian content another gift.
Jun 3, 2011
70 posts
6 upvotes
London
I'm interested in a group buy too! Please PM me. Thanks
May 7, 2019
153 posts
77 upvotes
spotts01 wrote:
if you use up all of your 25GB of data, unlimited data service will continue at 128kb until your plan renews.
Yes, it's actually an Unlimited data plan. With the first 25GB to 33GB each month delivered at HIGH SPEED.

spotts01 wrote:
You are assigned a US IP address, even while in Canada ... you will NOT be able to watch TSN highlights or similar Cdn feeds that use geolocating. Just something to be aware of. May need a VPN to 'spoof' that you are IN Cda.
I'm on the AT&T 8GB plan, and I also have Rogers Cable TV (at no cost to me, as the condo management pays for the TV plan). The "Rogers TV Anywhere" service works perfectly on my mobile phone, even though it's supposed to be available for usage in Canada only. Maybe it works OK because of the interchangeability agreement that AT&T and Rogers have with each other? It's all good!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)