Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Walmart US] AT&T 25gb + unlimited talk/text on prepaid for $40 USD - Canadian Usage

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 22nd, 2019 1:48 pm
Nov 2, 2018
132 posts
140 upvotes
TheNightOwl wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 9:35 pm
But that’s not a fair comparison! The extended coverage with Fido/Rogers is actually the Bell and TELUS network. Rogers and Fido are the same — both access the Bell & TELUS network.

But AT&T Prepaid does NOT have extended coverage. You only access the Rogers/Fido network.
Correct. Fido is simply “Rogers 2”.

In Saskatchewan it roams on SaskTel. I know that for sure.
Jun 2, 2010
333 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto
techackz wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 9:08 pm

In SK, extended coverage is limited to 3G.
techackz wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 9:41 pm

In Saskatchewan it roams on SaskTel. I know that for sure.
So Rogers/Fido roam (have extended coverage) on SaskTel in SK and it’s only 3G speed?
TELUS: Unlimited Canada-wide Talk, Text and 15+10 GB Data
Koodo: Unlimited Canada-wide Talk, Text and 8+9 GB Data
Nov 2, 2018
132 posts
140 upvotes
TheNightOwl wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 9:53 pm
So Rogers/Fido roam (have extended coverage) on SaskTel in SK and it’s only 3G speed?
Correct.

I used to work rural Saskatchewan in the field and had a Rogers phone. It never worked until I manually selected SaskTel. Bell and Telus simply didn't connect.
Feb 20, 2004
26 posts
its sending thru email not sure why theres shipping charge
Jun 17, 2019
11 posts
3 upvotes
Niagara Falls
techackz wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 12:00 am
WHAT!?

mine updates within minutes literally.
I bragged too much, lol. It’s starting to record normally. I guess the initial confusion period is now over, and we’re starting to settle in. I will never use that much data anyway.
May 19, 2008
367 posts
67 upvotes
I wanted to share a tip to everyone with their Cdn cell plans. If it is cheaper to pay off ur tab than staying for the remaining months in your plan then do it. In my case it is $490 for the 7 months remaining versus $250. I will be saving basically half. I will be getting the textnow annual plan. Too bad we can't port in or out but who really calls nowadays?
Nov 2, 2018
132 posts
140 upvotes
beezus888 wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 6:45 pm
I wanted to share a tip to everyone with their Cdn cell plans. If it is cheaper to pay off ur tab than staying for the remaining months in your plan then do it. In my case it is $490 for the 7 months remaining versus $250. I will be saving basically half. I will be getting the textnow annual plan. Too bad we can't port in or out but who really calls nowadays?
Textnow work extremely well. Especially if you're on Android. Nobody would ever see your US number using their Voice Fallback feature. I've been using it for the last month and it works great honestly.
May 19, 2008
367 posts
67 upvotes
techackz wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 7:10 pm
Textnow work extremely well. Especially if you're on Android. Nobody would ever see your US number using their Voice Fallback feature. I've been using it for the last month and it works great honestly.
Great to hear your feedback. If there is anyway to save money since Canada is way overpriced when it comes to telecommunications I am all for it. I think a lot of people want to keep their number so Textnow isn’t an option. I don’t really get many calls except for my bf but he is in the US. This works for me and $40 is nothing for one year.
Aug 15, 2019
2 posts
Is it still possible to get this double data plan?

As I just picked up a Alcatel tetra prepaid at and t phone from Walmart.

Anyhow would love for this plan as Freedom Mobile sucks.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2004
1294 posts
189 upvotes
Milton
Has anyone tried changing their number (within the same area code)? Is yes, how did you do it?

Also, for those using CallingMart cards, which one did you purchase? ATT PIN?
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2007
2568 posts
304 upvotes
Toronto
neptune wrote:
Aug 17th, 2019 10:31 am
Has anyone tried changing their number (within the same area code)? Is yes, how did you do it?

Also, for those using CallingMart cards, which one did you purchase? ATT PIN?
I changed my number after about a month since I used to keep getting random calls. I called in and they did it for free since I had gotten someone's old number.
Mar 20, 2013
49 posts
12 upvotes
techackz wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 7:10 pm
Wondering what steps you took to get the option? I'm also using Android and have tried everything but don't get the voice fallback option. I downloaded the app using the mobile network so I had a US IP address, even made sure my Play Store account was set to US using a US method of payment but still don't get the option. Messaged Textnow support on Twitter and they say the option is only available for those on their phone plans (which uses Sprint), but others on here said they got it to work so I'm confused as to what the difference could be.
May 19, 2008
367 posts
67 upvotes
JimmerJ34478 wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 11:55 pm
Is it still possible to get this double data plan?

As I just picked up a Alcatel tetra prepaid at and t phone from Walmart.

Anyhow would love for this plan as Freedom Mobile sucks.
Yes this deal is still on but it is not double the data. It is 17 bonus gb of data. Great reception and can't wait to ditch the Freedom plan too.

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 2 guests)

HarrisJ40940, walterk