Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Walmart US] AT&T 25gb + unlimited talk/text on prepaid for $40 USD - Canadian Usage

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2019 11:27 pm
May 13, 2011
874 posts
402 upvotes
Ajax
Hartom wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 5:22 pm
sure if you consider 2g as data. I tested it with the other plan and considered their 2g useless.
That's not true. I am currently on the 8gb + 8gb bonus plan and have used all 16gb and can confirm that data speeds were LTE consistently for all 16gb while roaming in the GTA and as far west as Burlington/Hamilton and as far east as Bomanville/Belleville.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2004
1276 posts
189 upvotes
Milton
covabwoy wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 6:18 pm
That's not true. I am currently on the 8gb + 8gb bonus plan and have used all 16gb and can confirm that data speeds were LTE consistently for all 16gb while roaming in the GTA and as far west as Burlington/Hamilton and as far east as Bomanville/Belleville.
Is roaming on rogers? If so, then should be available nation-wide, correct?
Jun 21, 2011
605 posts
478 upvotes
Vancouver
neptune wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 6:22 pm
Is roaming on rogers? If so, then should be available nation-wide, correct?
on rogers, nationwide.
Jun 21, 2011
605 posts
478 upvotes
Vancouver
neptune wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 6:32 pm
Is caller-id included?
Basic features included are: Caller Number ID, Basic/Visual Voice Mail, Three Way Calling, Call Waiting and Call Forwarding. Wi-Fi Calling available with compatible device and active Wi-Fi connection when account is provisioned with HD Voice. Geographic and other restrictions/limitations apply. See att.com/wificalling and att.com/hdvoice.
Aug 1, 2006
477 posts
316 upvotes
Toronto
According to the discussion on slickdeals post 91 50% of usage has to be in USA
Slickdeals
Dec 18, 2017
577 posts
996 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Cucumference wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 5:24 pm
International data roaming in this context means outside of U.S., Mexico & Canada I believe.
AT&T prepaid data will not work outside Canada, US & Mexico. Data roaming outside of these three countries has been unconditionally disabled. You cannot purchase an add-on for this to work either.

The only feature you will have access to from elsewhere is Calling & texts over WiFi.
Don't request PMs in your signature - Mods
May 13, 2011
874 posts
402 upvotes
Ajax
Bull Dog wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 7:36 pm
According to the discussion on slickdeals post 91 50% of usage has to be in USA
Slickdeals
That is also not true. They lifted this requirement sometime ago.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2005
2200 posts
753 upvotes
Surrey
Sorry this is a monthly prepaid plan or until you run out the data?
Aug 1, 2006
477 posts
316 upvotes
Toronto
covabwoy wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 8:15 pm
That is also not true. They lifted this requirement sometime ago.
Yeah I researched it and found that out just now as well, on May 22,2018 . Removal of 50% requirement

However I did read they don't allow use as hotspot while roaming. Have you been able to use your phone as hotspot? There's been occasions when my internet has been down and I've tethered my laptop to my cellphone, so that's an important feature.
May 13, 2011
874 posts
402 upvotes
Ajax
Bull Dog wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 8:30 pm
Yeah I researched it and found that out just now as well, on May 22,2018 . Removal of 50% requirement

However I did read they don't allow use as hotspot while roaming. Have you been able to use your phone as hotspot? There's been occasions when my internet has been down and I've tethered my laptop to my cellphone, so that's an important feature.
Confirmed that both wifi hotspot and USB tethering both work on this plan.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4260 posts
1687 upvotes
Truly sad when a US provider can offer cheaper plans for roaming internationally with Rogers, than what Rogers charges domestically. This proves what a crock of sh*t the long list of excuses big telcos cite when defending their pricing is.
Aug 1, 2006
477 posts
316 upvotes
Toronto
I read the older thread. Looks to me like simplest way to enjoy this plan if you don't want to bother porting your existing cellphone number to Fongo or voip.ms or similar would be to buy a dual sim phone and pop in a 15.00/mo Public Mobile unlimited talk/text and 500 mb data SIM , and the ATT SIM card in second slot as well mainly for data or for US friends and family to phone you.
Dec 18, 2017
577 posts
996 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
ilove wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 9:53 pm
Truly sad when a US provider can offer cheaper plans for roaming internationally with Rogers, than what Rogers charges domestically. This proves what a crock of sh*t the long list of excuses big telcos cite when defending their pricing is.
Yeah, I agree with you partially though. While it’s true that Canadians are getting hosed by Telco Crime Canada & Associates., there’s a second part - AT&T is one of the few carriers globally with massive negotiating power. Plus, they already have presence in Mexico, so the only real cost to them is Canada, which I’m sure they had originally estimated to be mice nuts in terms of roaming costs.

I’m sure restrictions are forthcoming considering the amount of Canadians that have signed up. It’s only a matter of time.

Another way this thing is gonna shut down pronto is if some shortsighted tools abuse the hell out of this plan or someone takes this to the media.

Assume this is a very temporary solution to your data needs. We’re bound to show up in some network report somewhere on AT&T’s end.

That being said, yes every Canadian telecom operator is utter filth and we desperately need to open up to MVNOs and foreign players without restrictions if we want to see any relief.
Don't request PMs in your signature - Mods
Jul 29, 2007
578 posts
275 upvotes
North America
Hey, for those who use this plan - can someone explain to me what you use this AT&T service for, business, personal, alternative to Google Voice? I can think of using this along with Fongo for the Canadian calls plus using data as an emergency hotspot and using the US# for business purposes if I start something like a consulting firm in the states...

Since the number is going to be coming from a US #, wouldn't people you call get charged (example, from a land line in Canada)? Is there a benefit to using this service over another? I have used Roam mobility when I was in the US, and other providers as well, haven't really looked at the overall cost and features/differences in each...
Thank you RFD community for helping me with spending money, I feel so poor now!