Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Walmart US] AT&T 25gb + unlimited talk/text on prepaid for $40 USD - Canadian Usage

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2019 11:27 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
3169 posts
2545 upvotes
Muskoka
So the biggest hurdle is getting to a US Walmart. Or get an Amer-friend to get one for you.
Koodo
Public Mobile
Jul 13, 2016
443 posts
234 upvotes
Saltywetguy wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 10:21 pm
Since the number is going to be coming from a US #, wouldn't people you call get charged (example, from a land line in Canada)?
No! People should stop spreading this BS. Long distance fees for incoming calls don't exist and never existed in Canada. It totally doesn't matter if the call comes for your neighbor or Antarctica. The only way you can get charged long distance for incoming calls is if you're not in your local calling area.

But yes, people calling you will get charged long distance fees to the USA even if you're on their yard.
Dec 18, 2017
577 posts
996 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Thatdealguy wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 11:30 pm
So I need to go to Walmart and get a sim card?
No, you need to go to Walmart and buy a prepaid phone. Then get them to activate a USD50 prepaid line (USD10 off with autopay) with the SIM card that comes with the phone to get the deal.

You cannot just buy a SIM card. You need to factor in the cost of a cellphone from AT&T prepaid offering.

So for anyone planning on jumping on this, please make sure you do your research about which phone to pick and what you’re planning to do with it (flip it, use it or gift it).
Don't request PMs in your signature - Mods
Deal Fanatic
Oct 21, 2015
6426 posts
33012 upvotes
vancityguy0 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 12:04 am
No, you need to go to Walmart and buy a prepaid phone. Then get them to activate a USD50 prepaid line (USD10 off with autopay) with the SIM card that comes with the phone to get the deal.

You cannot just buy a SIM card. You need to factor in the cost of a cellphone from AT&T prepaid offering.

So for anyone planning on jumping on this, please make sure you do your research about which phone to pick and what you’re planning to do with it (flip it, use it or gift it).
Do you know the lowest phone or how much did you paid yours?
Dec 18, 2017
577 posts
996 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Thatdealguy wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 12:07 am
Do you know the lowest phone or how much did you paid yours?
I did not buy my plan from Walmart. I used a previous promo where I didn’t need to buy a phone.
Don't request PMs in your signature - Mods
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2002
4997 posts
1201 upvotes
Toronto
So effectively, it's 17GB Canada/Mexico/US data and 8GB US-only data?

Also, who is the roaming partner for ATT in Canada?
'11 DC MLF Iikka Pro
'18 Union Flite Pro Red
'08 K2 T1
Jun 2, 2010
331 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
ProfessorChaos wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 12:21 am
So effectively, it's 17GB Canada/Mexico/US data and 8GB US-only data?

Also, who is the roaming partner for ATT in Canada?
No, it’s 8 + 17 GB Canada/US/Mexico high-speed data.

Rogers is the Canadian roaming partner.
TELUS: Unlimited Canada-wide Talk, Text and 15+10 GB Data
Koodo: Unlimited Canada-wide Talk, Text and 8+9 GB Data
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2005
1509 posts
423 upvotes
Montréal, QC
Can I autopay with a canadian credit card?
Nov 21, 2018
34 posts
7 upvotes
There needs to be a summary or more details on this.

The confusion on fast data or slow data I think is solved but still not 100% sure. 25GB of data is all fast even in Canada supposedly.

When someone calls you on your phone are they charged long distance to the USA? Are they charged any long distance? Like if my friend comes over for a BBQ and he calls me is he charged long distance in any way? Someone should break this point down.

To sign up for autopay can you use a Canadian credit card? Do you need an American card? How does this work?

If you get multiple lines do you need anyone else there with you?
Apr 13, 2005
600 posts
403 upvotes
Markham, ON
If you setup or join a group, you can get it for as little as $40 CAD.
Apr 13, 2005
600 posts
403 upvotes
Markham, ON
WildCard12 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 9:57 am
There needs to be a summary or more details on this.

The confusion on fast data or slow data I think is solved but still not 100% sure. 25GB of data is all fast even in Canada supposedly.

When someone calls you on your phone are they charged long distance to the USA? Are they charged any long distance? Like if my friend comes over for a BBQ and he calls me is he charged long distance in any way? Someone should break this point down.

To sign up for autopay can you use a Canadian credit card? Do you need an American card? How does this work?

If you get multiple lines do you need anyone else there with you?
I'll answer backwards.

1. Setting up multiple lines does not require everyone to be there with you.

2. You can use your Canadian card to autopay, just needs to update some of the address data.

3. When someone calls you, they will be call you on a USA AREA CODE. So if they do not have a plan that includes free calling to USA numbers, they will be charged US long distance.
For you, you can receive calls in Canada, USA, Mexico from anyone in the world without incurring any charges.

4. Data speeds are as fast Rogers' network will allow your phone to connect. (in Canada) -- full Rogers LTE speeds.
Sep 21, 2004
9824 posts
3767 upvotes
Calgary
at87on wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 10:01 am
If you setup or join a group, you can get it for as little as $40 CAD.
For a group of 5 lines, it is $28 USD. For a group of 10 lines, it is $24 USD a month.
Saltywetguy wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 10:21 pm
Hey, for those who use this plan - can someone explain to me what you use this AT&T service for, business, personal, alternative to Google Voice? I can think of using this along with Fongo for the Canadian calls plus using data as an emergency hotspot and using the US# for business purposes if I start something like a consulting firm in the states...

Since the number is going to be coming from a US #, wouldn't people you call get charged (example, from a land line in Canada)? Is there a benefit to using this service over another? I have used Roam mobility when I was in the US, and other providers as well, haven't really looked at the overall cost and features/differences in each...
I use it for personal & travel. I have a Canadian # on voip.ms and it forwards all the calls to the US phone number. I have the 8 gb plan and unused data gets rolled over to the next month.
Jun 7, 2009
435 posts
182 upvotes
Toronto
Do you need to keep the phone that you've bought to get the full 25 GB? Or can you take the SIM out of the phone and put it into your usual phone right away?