Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Walmart US] AT&T 25gb + unlimited talk/text on prepaid for $40 USD - Canadian Usage

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2019 8:53 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1108 posts
709 upvotes
banker8 wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 9:31 am

I cautioned against establishing a service with a fake address in a tax-free US state, as this is a clear breach of the AT&T T&C. The more people who abuse the service in this way, the more the viability of the service becomes threatened for ALL Canada-based customers using it. Including those Canadians who do the right thing, who pay their US state sales tax (just like all the US based customers do), and who establish their service in the appropriate tax-paying US state that corresponds with their legitimate US address, to which they have a genuine connection.
Hi,

Don't take this the wrong way, but the " establishing a service with a fake address in a tax-free US state, as this is a clear breach of the AT&T T&C" has nothing to do with a tax free state, it is using ANY state you are not a resident in. Whether lower tax, no tax, or higher tax.

I thank you for the heads up on the risk of a tax free state bringing attention to a user, BUT in ALL of our cases here in Canada, it will make ZERO difference when it comes to seeing where our calls are made.

They will not be made in any of the states we use to register, at least for most.

So, again, excellent point on not choosing tax free state in order to fly under the radar, but we are all breaking the TOS regardless of the state we choose.

mp
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1108 posts
709 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 10:03 am
Page 50.

Is the consensus now that we're hooped if we use this predominately in Canada?

I'd like to throw upvotes at someone giving a good summary of the situation.
I'm interested too.

Any solid data on that?

How would they know that I am not a Florida resident that sadly has to work in Canada? I still need my Florida number....

Just curious.
Jun 21, 2011
605 posts
478 upvotes
Vancouver
Got to love how some people referring to others to be "attacking" them when they are the ones to start out of the gate calling people performing "fraudulent" acts etc. When you point out the flaws in their logic, they become defensive and push the onus on the other person lol.

Anyhow, you cannot apply "common sense" on the internet.

With regards to bonus data, there is definitely accounts with only 8gb bonus. Some users report the 17gb bonus data corrects itself after a few days (no actions taken)

On the other hand, it appears bonus data is not being used before plan data in Canada, which could be an issue.

US based users reported that bonus data get consumed first, no issues down south.
Nov 14, 2004
179 posts
74 upvotes
Kelowna
zdpz wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 9:42 am
Good point mate

Ironically, I think getting it locked may be in everyone's best interest now. All the questions that needed answering have been answered. Ah the very least we should move it to On Going discussion and away from hot deals.

People are just asking questions for things already answered.
Agreed, this thread has gone off tracks and now it's just people debating ethics/morales or questions from lazy people not willing to read the entire thread to find the answer to their questions that have already been asked. And people that aren't getting their 25GB bonus seem to not be following the instructions from AT&T or aren't patient enough (AT&T says it can take up to 10 days). Everyone needs to just calm down and be patient.
May 19, 2008
367 posts
67 upvotes
I would like to thank the OP for posting this. It is a game changer and can't wait to activate my phone. I am currently on a freedom mobile plan with 8 gb data and 1 gb roaming in US and Canada for $50. This Walmart plan blows this one out of the water. With the unlimited plans being launched by the Big 3, this 25 gb plan still champions them. I can't wait to start the multi line.
Apr 22, 2015
214 posts
66 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I think the confusion to the bonus data stems from the fact that some people are getting 8gb of bonus data a few days after activation. It would have been better not to receive any bonus until you get the full 17gb. If that was the case people would most likely wait for the full 10 days
Jul 26, 2018
413 posts
413 upvotes
Canada, eh?
Anyone able to set up voicemail on theirs? Mine is giving me errors.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
2394 posts
1751 upvotes
Oakville
MexicanPeso wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 11:12 am
I'm interested too.

Any solid data on that?

How would they know that I am not a Florida resident that sadly has to work in Canada? I still need my Florida number....

Just curious.

I'm a sad Florida worker sent to Canada for trying to mingle with the Boss's daughter. You have to add a twist for the AT&T agent to believe your story.

Or you're a sad Florida worker sent to Canada because America became a bit too great for your liking.

What about the rest of you folks? Why were you sent to Canada from Florida?
-ZdpZ... ;)
Jun 21, 2011
605 posts
478 upvotes
Vancouver
GOOD NEWS!

thread has been moved to on-going deals.
Jun 21, 2011
605 posts
478 upvotes
Vancouver
secretalcoholic wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 12:08 pm
regarding voicemail...you must be connected to AT&T network in order to set it up via the "1" button on your phone
Jun 21, 2011
605 posts
478 upvotes
Vancouver
zdpz wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 12:15 pm
I'm a sad Florida worker sent to Canada for trying to mingle with the Boss's daughter. You have to add a twist for the AT&T agent to believe your story.

Or you're a sad Florida worker sent to Canada because America became a bit too great for your liking.

Unfortunately my story isn't out of Florida, but Oregon. However, I was being accused of not having ties with the US and the state of Oregon. So... I'm just an orphan, that belongs to the wild.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8371 posts
626 upvotes
I will be heading down to Buffalo this weekend. I already have 2 phones put aside, if anyone is interested PM if you want me to pick up a phone for you.
Jul 26, 2018
413 posts
413 upvotes
Canada, eh?
yau1225 wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 12:36 pm
regarding voicemail...you must be connected to AT&T network in order to set it up via the "1" button on your phone
Thanks! That'd make more sense...thankfully flying soon so i'll set it up when im down there.
Apr 17, 2014
876 posts
323 upvotes
Corunna, ON
secretalcoholic wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 12:08 pm
Google setting ATT prepaid voicemail.

You need to create a ridiculous 16 character password the first time, that you'll pretty much never use again.

My wife setup hers while I was driving and we were on Rogers.

But it failed until she used the right amount of digits in the password.
Last edited by proplayer44 on Jun 25th, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
221 posts
11 upvotes
zdpz wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 12:15 pm

Bahahaha i love these threads ! Id love to be an att rep...