Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Walmart US / AT&T] $28/$25 USD - Unlimited Talk / Text / Data (25gb LTE) - Canada / US / Mexico

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 9th, 2020 11:28 am
Sep 21, 2012
37 posts
9 upvotes
NANAIMO
HalfTrack wrote: What discount are you anticipating?
Are you in a multiline group?
You havent received your bonus data but get it a few more days.
Bonus data.. not discount. can you tell I'm tired?! lol!! My bad.

Okay, I'll give it a few more days. Don't want to do anything on it unless I get the data. Thx :)
Nov 2, 2018
290 posts
270 upvotes
dc2000 wrote: Bonus data.. not discount. can you tell I'm tired?! lol!! My bad.

Okay, I'll give it a few more days. Don't want to do anything on it unless I get the data. Thx :)

Be patient. Mine took 5 or 6 days easily.
Sep 21, 2012
37 posts
9 upvotes
NANAIMO
techackz wrote: Be patient. Mine took 5 or 6 days easily.
Oh okay. That's fair. I just thought 2-3 days was the norm. Thank you though, I have a little bit more patience now. I'll give it til after the weekend for sure then.
Jun 7, 2009
457 posts
193 upvotes
Toronto
Number finally ported over, and incorrect bonus data is being applied again, probably because my phone was shipped to Walmart on June 4th (Just found this out today), before being purchased online on June 14th for pick up by me June 15th.

Lesson learned, don't jump in on the first wave, wait at least 10 days for the inventory to cycle properly.

Round two with getting the 25 GB instead of the 16 GB applied.

I did put my SIM in an iPhone for a day again before switching back to the Cingular Flip at night, but of course, once the system sees that you are using an iPhone, it changes the device associated with your account to an iPhone. The CSR who handled my number port today asked me for the Cingular Flip IMEI and manually switched it over. Let's hope this holds up.

How to do everything wrong, Part 2! I think I'm a glutton for punishment.
yau1225 wrote: However, after you complete the steps you have mentioned, you cannot join someone's group or turn your account into multi-line again for 30 days.
True, a workaround is to call prepaid support, let them know what you're doing and why, and ask them to lift the multiline restriction after you're done. If they agree, you're all good. I also have first-hand experience doing this.
Jan 10, 2007
541 posts
136 upvotes
Montreal
It has been mentioned MANY times here, even if you are tempted, even for a mere second to move the sim from and antiquated flip phone to your iphone DO NOT!

wait for the bonus to appear! OK?
souledge wrote: Number finally ported over, and incorrect bonus data is being applied again, probably because my phone was shipped to Walmart on June 4th (Just found this out today), before being purchased online on June 14th for pick up by me June 15th.

Lesson learned, don't jump in on the first wave, wait at least 10 days for the inventory to cycle properly.

Round two with getting the 25 GB instead of the 16 GB applied.

I did put my SIM in an iPhone for a day again before switching back to the Cingular Flip at night, but of course, once the system sees that you are using an iPhone, it changes the device associated with your account to an iPhone. The CSR who handled my number port today asked me for the Cingular Flip IMEI and manually switched it over. Let's hope this holds up.

How to do everything wrong, Part 2! I think I'm a glutton for punishment.

True, a workaround is to call prepaid support, let them know what you're doing and why, and ask them to lift the multiline restriction after you're done. If they agree, you're all good. I also have first-hand experience doing this.
Jun 7, 2009
457 posts
193 upvotes
Toronto
perfchris wrote: It has been mentioned MANY times here, even if you are tempted, even for a mere second to move the sim from and antiquated flip phone to your iphone DO NOT!

wait for the bonus to appear! OK?
You know I wrote that initial piece of advice right?

The reason why I did that, was that I was told that when you port a number in, they treat it as a new line activation (Newsflash: they don't, they still use the same info as the temp number). If they did actually treat it as a new line activation, it wouldn't matter what I did with that SIM, today would have been the first day of the new line with the SIM only being registered to the flip phone.

However, for market relocations (i.e. area code switches out of market), that is a new line activation, so if you are planning on doing that, theoretically, you should be able to switch your SIM willy-nilly with no ill effects, but I wouldn't do it anyway, unless you're experimenting like I am.

Don't let prepaid support scare you when doing the market relocation and them telling you that you'll lose your bonus. I did get my autopay bonus (the 8 GB) post-relocation and am repeating the troubleshooting steps to get my 17 GB. Once again, I'm part of a special case of phones that were shipped to Walmart before the promotion went live, but purchased after the promo went live.
Jun 7, 2009
457 posts
193 upvotes
Toronto
Called International Support to try to reset Manual Network Selection, was told (and not sure I believe it), that for prepaid equipment, they are unable to do so and that they can only Cancel Registration, which cancels the mobile phone's registration to the current tower.

Post-paid is able to freely browse through different carriers, according to the International Support Agent. Oh well.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2003
6388 posts
1195 upvotes
Has anyone noticed slower speeds using AT&T? The red results are from my AT&T sim, the other results from my Bell sim. Massive difference in download speeds, and Bell pings at 27-33 ms, AT&T at 143-155 ms.

Is this because AT&T is routing me through the US? I tried a whatsmyip and it put me in San Antonio, Texas.

*Sorry for the massive pic.
------He who dares, Rodders, he who dares------

Heatware Feedback eBay Feedback
X360 Live Gamertag: Frenzied360
Nov 2, 2018
290 posts
270 upvotes
A fairer comparison would be AT&T and Rogers sim card. If you have one ... Since your IP address is in US... Maybe it's trying to connect to a local server there for speed test. Make sure you select a Canadian server and try again maybe.
mark_in_2k wrote: Has anyone noticed slower speeds using AT&T? The red results are from my AT&T sim, the other results from my Bell sim. Massive difference in download speeds, and Bell pings at 27-33 ms, AT&T at 143-155 ms.

Is this because AT&T is routing me through the US? I tried a whatsmyip and it put me in San Antonio, Texas.

*Sorry for the massive pic.
Jun 2, 2010
455 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
techackz wrote: Since your IP address is in US... Maybe it's trying to connect to a local server there for speed test. Make sure you select a Canadian server and try again maybe.
No, that’s wrong. All your data is routed through the US for billing purposes and for AT&T’s stream saver feature. This was already discussed quite a bit in the previous AT&T 16 GB promotion.

The high ping times are because all your data is routed through a USA server. There’s no getting around that.
Koodo: Unlimited Canada Talk, World Text, 8+9 GB Data
AT&T: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, 8+17 GB data
Nov 2, 2018
290 posts
270 upvotes
Does anyone know if I don't renew the plan for a month or two, will I still receive the bonus when I renew it after skipping a month or two?
May 19, 2008
391 posts
67 upvotes
techackz wrote: Does anyone know if I don't renew the plan for a month or two, will I still receive the bonus when I renew it after skipping a month or two?
I don't think so when it stipulates as long as you are on autopay you are entitled to the bonus data.
Jan 24, 2013
290 posts
109 upvotes
Ontario
Pretty sure it should work but do you guys know if I bought an AT&T locked phone from ebay, it should work on the Rogers roaming network no problem, right? Also, I can get it unlocked for free from AT&T after 3 months?
Jul 26, 2018
714 posts
832 upvotes
Canada, eh?
secretalcoholic wrote: ATT.PNG
ATT, roaming on Robbers network, but Texas IP.

Robbers.PNG
Robbers network, connecting to same speedtest server with Canadian IP

Edit: Just noticed it says Unknown Carrier lol, probably cause of esim.
Re: Speedtest, posted this a month or so before. ATT is slower.
Jun 7, 2009
457 posts
193 upvotes
Toronto
Nguygie wrote: Pretty sure it should work but do you guys know if I bought an AT&T locked phone from ebay, it should work on the Rogers roaming network no problem, right? Also, I can get it unlocked for free from AT&T after 3 months?
As long as you have an AT&T sim I don’t see an issue

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)