Hot Deals

[Walmart US] Xiaomi MiBox S (MiBox 4) - $59.99 (USD) - YMMV - AmeriFriend or Forwarder Required!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2018 12:47 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
1117 posts
1028 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

Xiaomi MiBox S (MiBox 4) - $59.99 (USD) - YMMV - AmeriFriend or Forwarder Required!

Deal Link:
Price:
$59.99
Retailer:
Walmart US

The new MiBox S is available for pre-order from Walmart.com for $59.99 USD. You can have it shipped to a freight forwarder like CBI, Crossborderpickups, or MyMALLbox, or pick up at a US Walmart store if you're close to the border. Shipping date has beed moved up to the 19th, originally the 29th. Great price for an official Android TV box, much, much better than those no name Android boxes with tablet versions of Android. I have two MiBox3 of my own and have purchased 10 over the past year for friends and family from Walmart.com

TechHive "rundown"

This isn’t exactly new hardware, as the Mi Box S’s tech specs are nearly identical to the original Mi Box that Xiaomi launched in 2016. Both have quad-core Cortex-A53 processors, Mali 450 GPUs, 2 GB of RAM, 8 GB of built-in storage, 802.11ac Wi-Fi, a full-sized USB 2.0 port, and S/PDIF audio output. They also both support DTS and Dolby Digital Plus surround sound (but not Dolby Atmos like the latest streaming players from Roku, Amazon, and Apple).

The main difference on the hardware side is the remote, which adds a few new buttons. There’s a button to bring up all your apps—useful, because the full list is somewhat hidden on Android TV’s home screen—and a new shortcut button for Netflix. There’s also a button marked “Live,” but we’re still seeking clarification on what that does (I'm curious about this as well). Like the previous Mi Box’s remote, this one has volume and power buttons for your television as well.

On the software side, the Mi Box S runs Android TV 8.1 Oreo, which isn’t technically the latest version, but we’ve yet to see any devices running Android 9.0 Pie. Compared to earlier Android TV devices, Oreo has a drastically different home screen, which has dedicated content rows for apps like Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, and Sling TV. This allows you to browse for things to watch without having to jump into individual apps. There’s also a “Play Next” row that can surface shows and movies you’re already watching. (Existing Mi Box owners shouldn’t feel left out; an update to Oreo arrived on those devices over the summer.)

It’s a neat system, but prospective buyers should be aware that Android TV’s app support lags slightly behind other platforms. While most major apps like Netflix and HBO Now are available, several live TV streaming services have abstained from Android TV so far, including DirecTV Now, Hulu with Live TV, and Philo. Amazon Prime also remains unavailable as the feud between Google and Amazon rages on. (Some Android TV device makers such as Nvidia and Sony have worked out their own deals with Amazon, but it doesn’t look like Xiaomi has.)

Why this matters: Earlier this year, Google suggested that it would be focusing more on Android TV, with performance optimizations for cheap hardware, a bigger push to attract app developers, and easier ways to bring new hardware to market. We haven’t seen the fruits of those efforts yet, but Xiaomi’s reheated Mi Box could benefit over time if the platform does indeed get more love from Google.
Last edited by remik on Nov 2nd, 2018 11:48 am, edited 6 times in total.
Thread Summary
[10/17/2018] aasoror added:
Link messed up by RFD hotlinking copy past below instead

Code: Select all

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Xiaomi-Mi-Box-S-with-4K-HDR-Android-TV-Streaming-Media-Player-and-Google-Assistant-Remote/677842593
So looking at https://www.crossborderpickups.ca/rates/

Break down (for someone who wont pickup on his own nor has an Amerifriend to take care of ordering for him) would be as follows:
$60 USD mibox
$5.3 USD 8.875% NY sales taxes.
$7.8 USD 13% HST (assuming you declare actual value)
$4 CADs processing (assume package are under 1lb)
$15 CADs shipping fees (flat rate)
---------------------
269 replies
Jan 25, 2010
60 posts
83 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Just be aware, it is barely different than the existing MiBox they were selling before so no need to rush to get one if you've got the previous model.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
1117 posts
1028 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
robotfood wrote:
Oct 15th, 2018 9:15 pm
Just be aware, it is barely different than the existing MiBox they were selling before so no need to rush to get one if you've got the previous model.

Yes, that is correct,its more "boxy" and an updated remote with some extra shortcut keys to Netflix and such, but specs otherwise the same. Still worth it compared to ordering it from China and waiting 1-2mths. I believe Walmart US has exclusivity.
Aug 18, 2009
999 posts
361 upvotes
Toronto
remik wrote:
Oct 15th, 2018 9:09 pm
The new MiBox S is available for pre-order from Walmart.com for $59.99 USD. You can have it shipped to a freight forwarder like CBI, Crossborderpickups, or MyMALLbox, or pick up at a US Walmart store if you're close to the border. Originally it was to be released on October 29th, but I just got an email that it has been moved up to the 19th. Specs are identical to the MiBox3, just a slight change in the form factor, now more "boxy". Great price for an official Android TV box, much, much better than those no name Android boxes with tablet versions of Android. I have 2 MiBox3 boxes and have order more than 10 over the past year from walmart.com, ordered 2 more of the MiBox S boxes. Currently there are only 3 official Android TV streaming boxes.

ASUS Nexus player (discontinued)

Xiaomi MiBox 3 / MiBox S

Nvidia Shield TV
Link doesn't work
Jun 9, 2017
151 posts
39 upvotes
Ottawa
Why not just buy the new remote and sync to old mibox 3?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
1117 posts
1028 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Saad1988 wrote:
Oct 15th, 2018 9:46 pm
Why not just buy the new remote and sync to old mibox 3?

It's $5 USD cheaper than the Mibox3, also it's more people that were thinking of ordering the MiBox 3 from China, different purchase option and have it in hand in 2 weeks time.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
10338 posts
2084 upvotes
Is there a similar BT remote you can buy from overseas and link to the boxes? I am used to my mibox remote, but something with a few more functions would be great.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Sep 15, 2015
18 posts
6 upvotes
Are you able to get those 1000+ free TV channels on this box?
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
15483 posts
3790 upvotes
This new box is supposed to come with Android 8.1 while the current OS on the 3 is 8.0. It remains to be seen if the 3 will get the update or we'll have to wait again...
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2003
2062 posts
171 upvotes
Got a Mi Box 3 on ebay for $26.00 CDN. Either it doesn't arrive and I get refund from Paypal or it does arrive and its a knock off. And I get a refund from Paypal. 90 days is the limit for claims, right?

Was going to post it last week but all 35 were sold in less than 1 hour.

Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
5572 posts
1381 upvotes
Toronto
More like a MiBox 3.1, wish they'd upgrade the internals at least a touch.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
10338 posts
2084 upvotes
dealhunterog wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 3:25 am
A buck cheaper, seller has better feedback, and there are actually some available at the time of posting this:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Xiaomi-Mi-4K-TV ... m2749.l264

I rolled the dice on it, let's see what happens.
No reviews or ratings based on the Mi box though for this seller. If you pay with PAYPAL and dispute it there, as being not as described, etc. you'll have to ship it back and show proof of shipping to get your refund. If it never shows, great. I had an issue with an overseas seller and PAYPAL told me they would reimburse me for the defective product, or claw back the seller's money if I shipped it back to them. It would have cost me more to ship it back than I paid for the item. That seller never responded and PAYPAL still sided with them.

Was also going to roll the dice, but also now sold out.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
1119 posts
829 upvotes
if you know that the seller has crappy ratings and it is possible fraud. dont provide them your paypal, your email, your address, your ebay username possibly your telephone number by buying something from them? even if you can dispute it, id highly recommend not to do it. that's possibly the best way to start getting phishing emails, mail or phone calls. that ebay user dont seem legit at all
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2009
4500 posts
1436 upvotes
g man wrote:
Oct 15th, 2018 11:07 pm
Got a Mi Box 3 on ebay for $26.00 CDN. Either it doesn't arrive and I get refund from Paypal or it does arrive and its a knock off. And I get a refund from Paypal. 90 days is the limit for claims, right?

Was going to post it last week but all 35 were sold in less than 1 hour.

Haaaahahaha, another naïve sucker
Shame on you to even post this BS here!
Some people never learn

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)