Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

[Walmart USA only] Mi Box Android TV + 2-Month Sling TV + 3 VUDU Movies & More $69

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2017 1:49 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
1056 posts
370 upvotes
bogolisk wrote:
bogolisk wrote: AP's reviewer said this is a mediocre cast receiver. So if casting is your thing then this is not a replacement for Chromecast.
Priestlydoolong wrote: Ummm, no they didn't.
From the review:
When streaming more complex Cast tasks like a video tab from Chrome, the Mi Box will often choke and let the audio drag behind the video.
"In a head-to-head competition, the Mi Box has the Chromecast Ultra beat dead to rights."

Also, I have both gens of chromecast, and they will give me grief trying to cast video from browser tabs, so my mi box is on par in that regard for me.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3363 posts
1990 upvotes
Priestlydoolong wrote:
bogolisk wrote:
bogolisk wrote: AP's reviewer said this is a mediocre cast receiver. So if casting is your thing then this is not a replacement for Chromecast.
Priestlydoolong wrote: Ummm, no they didn't.
From the review:
When streaming more complex Cast tasks like a video tab from Chrome, the Mi Box will often choke and let the audio drag behind the video.
"In a head-to-head competition, the Mi Box has the Chromecast Ultra beat dead to rights."

Also, I have both gens of chromecast, and they will give me grief trying to cast video from browser tabs, so my mi box is on par in that regard for me.
Yeah, he wrote that. However, when I read a review, I focus on part that can be concretely substantiated.
"the Mi Box will often choke and let the audio drag behind the video." means something: audio out-of-sync.
"the Mi Box has the Chromecast Ultra beat dead to rights." doesn't have much substance.

Anyway I was set on buying the Mi Box but now with the ZTE box on horizon, I'll wait, I have time. The ZTE box is basically the Mi box + ethernet.
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2004
1036 posts
285 upvotes
Vancouver
My Mi box has already died. Used it 2 days and on the 3rd would not turn on anymore. 1 day before return policy ended. Drove Vancouver to Bellingham and none avail to exchange, so had to return it. Disappointed that I got a dud. Will buy one again as I did like the interface and the casting features. I had just sold my apple TV 3 and Chromecast 2 the day before too!
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
4626 posts
3267 upvotes
Ottawa
What ZTE box? Googling finds many old ones.
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15768 posts
11164 upvotes
My Mom just picked one of these up in Arizona for me. She plans to send it up with a friend coming back this weekend in their carry on.

Question is, are they going to need to pay duty on it when they cross the border?
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2010
1013 posts
345 upvotes
Charlottetown
Gutty96 wrote: My Mom just picked one of these up in Arizona for me. She plans to send it up with a friend coming back this weekend in their carry on.

Question is, are they going to need to pay duty on it when they cross the border?
depends on how honest your friend is ;)
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15768 posts
11164 upvotes
jfall wrote:
Gutty96 wrote: My Mom just picked one of these up in Arizona for me. She plans to send it up with a friend coming back this weekend in their carry on.

Kinda hard to lie, it is carry on, so it would have to go through the xray.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
4626 posts
3267 upvotes
Ottawa

no. look at what is permitted to bring back. there are limits 800cad etc depending on length of stay. more than likely no HST. there will be no duty, if anything.. if she's already at her max limit she'll have to pay HST on it. relax.. its like 10 bucks.
Last edited by shylok on Nov 6th, 2016 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15768 posts
11164 upvotes
shylok wrote:

no. look at what is permitted to bring back. there are limits 800cad etc depending on length of stay. more than likely no price. there will be no duty, if anything.. if she's already at her max limit she'll have to pay HST on it. relax.. its like 10 bucks.
Awesome. Thanks. They have grandkids they will be brining some stuff back for, but nowhere near $800 in a carry on, I am sure.
Feb 25, 2005
149 posts
22 upvotes
shylok wrote:
johntitor2036 wrote:
shylok wrote: out of stock .. weird had to trick it. it was showing OOS. But the SD thread had no comments about it, so i switched the zip code to 90210, and it showed it could be added to cart, had it as different NY zip before, it allowed me to add, then in shipping page flipped it to my correct delivery address and it let me buy it.

Thanks OP, wanted to grab this, I was looking for the new nvidia shield, but all I need is a good Kodi box. I wish chromecast screen mirroring was anywhere near as good as apple mirroring.
What sort of service are you using to order it? :O I know there are ones that bring it to a pickup point in the States, curious if there is anyone who would just forward it up here :O
I pick it up myself from my mailbox in USA. Seems crossborder pickups from other posters post does what you want. But there's a reasonable cost for it.
I use kinek at the lewiston UPS store 5.00 per piece, never had any issues at the border, but I usually just buy smaller stuff anyway.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12013 posts
4368 upvotes
Winnipeg
Used myMallBox before right to your door on other stuff
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2010
1013 posts
345 upvotes
Charlottetown
Gutty96 wrote:
jfall wrote:

Kinda hard to lie, it is carry on, so it would have to go through the xray.

And who's to say they didn't take it with them from home on their trip to watch movies in their hotel room?
Dec 2, 2006
594 posts
125 upvotes
Bradford
does the sling and vudu freebies work in canada?
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3885 posts
666 upvotes

I brought home 3 from Vegas last month
As long as they are with in there allowance its not a big deal
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29128 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
jfall wrote: And who's to say they didn't take it with them from home on their trip to watch movies in their hotel room?
Um, anyone who knows this box isn't available up here in Canada.

Worse, why would anyone lie about this in the first place when (a) its value is only $100 out of an $800 duty-free allowance and (b) the consequences of getting caught in a lie are far more severe than the cost of coming clean even if they have more than $800 to declare???
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29128 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
alanbrenton wrote: Will this Mi Box work equally well when subscribing to IPTV express?
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/IPTV-Express-1-m ... SwAuZX11Cq
I don't see why not. These sorts of subscriptions only provide "grey" or bootleg streams that you can find on your own or via Kodi plugins.
Or will the Mag 256/257 set top box deliver streaming channels much better?
http://www.infomir.eu/eng/products/iptv-stb/mag-257/
From the link it seems the 257 box is protected by Verimatrix. That means that you'd need to use it in conjunction with a legitimate, paid IPTV service like VMedia (assuming that VMedia uses this protection technology and not some other.) Those IPTV services usually require you to use boxes they provide in order to prevent stream sharing and other licensing abuses. If you plan to go that route you're probably better off getting a compatible box from them directly.
veni, vidi, Visa

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)