Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Walmart USA

OVERPOWERED Gaming Laptop 15+,144Hz IPS, Intel i7-8750H, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD $799USD

Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37133 upvotes
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Oct 11, 2006
578 posts
361 upvotes
Has anyone affixed a decal on one of these laptops - either the 15 or the 17 inch? Does the logo mess it up?

And while we're at it, are there any recommendations for particular good quality decals that would protect the lid from scratches?
Dec 24, 2018
89 posts
38 upvotes
I've been thinking of a nice decal myself actually. I was thinking of getting a Discworld decal that looked like it'd fit over it, but haven't decided on one quite yet. I'd be interested in knowing if there was a good site or something to look at for them too.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2012
2063 posts
1232 upvotes
JyNadaril wrote: I've been thinking of a nice decal myself actually. I was thinking of getting a Discworld decal that looked like it'd fit over it, but haven't decided on one quite yet. I'd be interested in knowing if there was a good site or something to look at for them too.
I might pick up this decal...
Size 3.5 x 5 inches - should cover up the logo
Silver

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/5463244 ... ck=1&col=1

Shipping is $7 bucks though lol
Jan 8, 2006
660 posts
327 upvotes
Still waiting for the 15" to go back in stock. I wonder if it ever will...
Aug 7, 2013
99 posts
27 upvotes
Anyone in Vancouver area with the 15 or 17 inch model, I would be interested!
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2003
2045 posts
315 upvotes
I'm going to sell my 15" model since work is assigning me a laptop. Perfect condition. Only modification I've done is taken out the 1TB HDD while adding a matching goldkey 16gb stick for a total of 32gb ram.

Located in London Ontario. Can ship of needed. Price negotiable. PM me.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2011
1299 posts
1661 upvotes
kc765 wrote: Still waiting for the 15" to go back in stock. I wonder if it ever will...
According to people on SD, 15inch won't be re-stored.
Jan 8, 2006
660 posts
327 upvotes
BlackXstar wrote: According to people on SD, 15inch won't be re-stored.
Damn, that is sad to hear...
Jan 8, 2006
660 posts
327 upvotes
nitro wrote: I'm going to sell my 15" model since work is assigning me a laptop. Perfect condition. Only modification I've done is taken out the 1TB HDD while adding a matching goldkey 16gb stick for a total of 32gb ram.

Located in London Ontario. Can ship if needed. Price negotiable. PM me.
Interested, and have just sent you a PM.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1179 posts
458 upvotes
Montreal
strangelove9 wrote: What's SD?
I assume Slickdeals the usa version of this site
HOW CAN I BE GOING BROKE WHEN I'M SAVING SO MUCH MONEY!?
Deal Addict
May 20, 2004
3379 posts
978 upvotes
Calgary
I grabbed the cyber power version on amazon warehouse deals, $1000ish for the 1050ti/60hz/16/512. Storage is SATA 3. Should be fine for retro games. The 1060 version is still available for $1300.

You folk that got the Walmart deal are super lucky!

[update]: I returned the unit I got from Amazon Warehouse. It arrived in perfect condition, it was described as Very Good and I was happy with the accuracy of the description.

Cyberpower Tracer III (Same as the OP 15" - Tongfang GK5CN5Z)
i7-8750, 16GB (dual Channel), 4GB 1050ti, 500GB WD Blue, 1080p 60Hz panel

The chassis is really well made, and my screen was 60hz and not the greatest contrast, but otherwise terrific considering the price.

Like others, I found keyboard layout strange, hard to adapt to quickly. The flat key caps and long travel is a weird combination. The sound they make is annoying; similar to Cherry Blue switches. The per key RGB lighting is nice, but the software lets it down.

Accuracy is no problem when using the touchpad. I found the clicks make a hollow sound that seems cheap.

Performance was good; 1027 Cinebench, 5,000/20,000 Geekbench and 9,000 3dmark11. The 1050 ti can play most games if you dial the settings back. The only game that needed low settings was Forza Horizon 4, which still looked great.

My frustration comes from the software and firmware. Most laptops have firmware or low level software that controls fans for you, in other words you can unbox and play with no tweaking and the fans will work. If you don't like how they work, you can tweak hardware and software - but in the case of the Tongfang GK5CN5Z without the software nothing happens. My laptop came with a clean windows install, with no Tongfang control software. It would hit high 90 Celcluis temps on idle! This made the top left keyboard area searing hot.

Mine was configured by Cyberpower so I checked out their '1990s Warez FTP design' support website and installed their drivers and utilities. CyberPower's version of MyApp only had keyboard controls. No fan options and the fans would not run after installation. There are many versions of the control/myapp software on NBR forums and I tried all of them and a few different BIOS versions. The software is really unrefined and requires a lot of fussing to get temps low. The best I was able to do was fans at about 40% which kept temps in check but I found unpleasant to listen to.

It came with a SATA3 m.2 SSD and I did not do any benchmarks but the laptop booted and launched games promptly. No complaints.

These are my thoughts. If you got the crazy Walmart deal, then I think the performance is worth the effort - the 1060 is 50-60% faster. If you track down the GK5CN5Z or its siblings at higher prices or lower configurations I would suggest passing on it.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2012
2063 posts
1232 upvotes
JyNadaril wrote: I've been thinking of a nice decal myself actually. I was thinking of getting a Discworld decal that looked like it'd fit over it, but haven't decided on one quite yet. I'd be interested in knowing if there was a good site or something to look at for them too.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/323625147922?ul_noapp=true

check this out, you might beable to get even cheaper on Ali express