Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Walmart

Walmart Prime Rib Roast $5.97/lb Oct 10-16

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2019 8:30 am
Dec 16, 2018
11 posts
16 upvotes

[Walmart] Walmart Prime Rib Roast $5.97/lb Oct 10-16

Not sure if this has been posted yet. But just checked Walmart Flyer for Calgary and they have AAA Angus Beef Prime Rib Roast for $5.97/lb
Images
  • Untitled.png
60 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
2751 posts
2992 upvotes
Walmart Ontario flyer has the same thing for $5.44/lb.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2017
5187 posts
6027 upvotes
Sobey's AA prime rib roast (also on special tomorrow) far better than Walmart's AAA.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2011
1005 posts
994 upvotes
St. Catharines
From Niagara region flyers that start tomorrow (Thurs Oct 10) .....

RCSS prime rib roast 4.98/10.98(Thurs-Sun)
Walmart prime rib roast 5.44/11.99
Sobeys prime rib roast 5.87/12.84
Food Basics strip loin roast/steaks 5.88/12.96
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some days I think that I am the only person who knows how to use Google.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Vancouver also has it for $5.97. Limit of 2.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Apr 14, 2002
582 posts
278 upvotes
Does Walmart have large roasts?
Heat/Beerology: akira112
Jul 26, 2008
352 posts
303 upvotes
Sidney
akira112 wrote: Does Walmart have large roasts?
Last time I picked up a couple on sale from Walmart - there were a variety of sizes, but none huge. All prepackaged so no opportunity to request a larger one.
Sep 10, 2008
104 posts
138 upvotes
Calgary
eelw11 wrote: Sobey's AA prime rib roast (also on special tomorrow) far better than Walmart's AAA.
According to the Sobey's flyer it's also $4.30 / kg more expensive so not much of a deal (at least in the West).
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2017
1338 posts
1411 upvotes
eelw11 wrote: Sobey's AA prime rib roast (also on special tomorrow) far better than Walmart's AAA.
How did you arrive at this conclusion? We started buying steaks from Walmart vs Sobeys, and have found them to be better. I am in Ontario. We used to buy sterling silver or whatever from Sobeys, but found the quality to be on the decline.
Dec 17, 2017
435 posts
409 upvotes
Just so I know, I thought the grading system was a standard.

You're saying walmart sobeys can use different graders that can say it's AAA and another butcher can say it's AA for the same cut of beef?

What is the point of a grading agency then if everyone is allowed to grade differently.

When you say better, you're saying physically there is more marbling on the Sobey's AA?
Dec 17, 2017
435 posts
409 upvotes
Time to stock up, I'm going to buy these and make them into Rib Eyes.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
2415 posts
1190 upvotes
Vancouver
Time to full up my 100 freezes. With that
Thanks
Nov 30, 2011
36 posts
167 upvotes
MONTR
aphextwin wrote: Just so I know, I thought the grading system was a standard.
You are absolutely correct, beef grading in Canada is a standardized process by an accredited third party, and not determined by Walmart or Sobey's
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7069 posts
3384 upvotes
I have rather have AA non-mechanically tenderised, and save a buck per pound. Neither one is a good choice since RCSS is 4.99 and AAA
Dec 17, 2017
435 posts
409 upvotes
Correct, but we don't live in the center of the universe...I am on West Coast so RCSS is not an option.
badOne wrote: I have rather have AA non-mechanically tenderised, and save a buck per pound. Neither one is a good choice since RCSS is 4.99 and AAA
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2017
5187 posts
6027 upvotes
aphextwin wrote: When you say better, you're saying physically there is more marbling on the Sobey's AA?
Better prepping the meat. Whenever I look at Walmart's meat, it's literally just hacked off the cow. Sobey will trim off excess fat and it's ready to season and cook out of the package. Less expensive supermarkets like No Frills and Walmart just slap everything in the package. Places like Sobeys and Longos take the extra effort in removing parts before packaging. People bad mouth Chinese supermarkets for selling scrap parts. I find more care given by these places than meats I see at Walmart.
Dec 17, 2017
435 posts
409 upvotes
I typically don't buy Walmart meat as it's usually AA or less so good info to know. But because they advertise that it's AAA Canadian graded, I'm initially in.

So you just have to assume you will need to do some trimming in exchange for the cheaper price as they didn't do that? However, the AAA Walmart Prime Rib will be better than the AA Sobey's in terms of actual grading and not trimming.

So to make sure we are on the same page. When you say better, you don't mean quality grading (AAA,AA etc), you mean better trimming?
eelw11 wrote: Better prepping the meat. Whenever I look at Walmart's meat, it's literally just hacked off the cow. Sobey will trim off excess fat and it's ready to season and cook out of the package. Less expensive supermarkets like No Frills and Walmart just slap everything in the package. Places like Sobeys and Longos take the extra effort in removing parts before packaging. People bad mouth Chinese supermarkets for selling scrap parts. I find more care given by these places than meats I see at Walmart.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2017
5187 posts
6027 upvotes
aphextwin wrote: So to make sure we are on the same page. When you say better, you don't mean quality grading (AAA,AA etc), you mean better trimming?
I've tried a rib roast from Walmart before. Not a beef connoisseur, but it wasn't as good to what I'm accustom to from Sobeys. Not bad, but I'm suspect of it's AAA grading..
Dec 17, 2017
435 posts
409 upvotes
Fair enough, I will buy both do a visual marbling comparison, cut into rib eyes, season just salt and pepper then cook it sous vide and blind taste test my wife who is not a beef connoisseur.

Will report on results! It'll be like the pepsi challenge except called Walmart challenge!
eelw11 wrote: I've tried a rib roast from Walmart before. Not a beef connoisseur, but it wasn't as good to what I'm accustom to from Sobeys. Not bad, but I'm suspect of it's AAA grading..
May 17, 2019
12 posts
5 upvotes
Question: how can you wife tell which one is better if she is not a beef connoisseur?
aphextwin wrote: Fair enough, I will buy both do a visual marbling comparison, cut into rib eyes, season just salt and pepper then cook it sous vide and blind taste test my wife who is not a beef connoisseur.

Will report on results! It'll be like the pepsi challenge except called Walmart challenge!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)