Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Walmart

WARM: TP-Link Kasa Smart Plug HS105 - $19.98

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 9th, 2019 8:56 pm
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2015
5778 posts
6721 upvotes
Alberta
adblink182 wrote: One important feature they are missing that I wish they would implement is turning switches on and off based on sunset/raise WITH an offset. Example turn lights on at sunset minus 30mins
This can also be accomplished using smartthings. I do the same.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
9652 posts
10924 upvotes
Vancouver
t3359 wrote: For those interested in writing scripts etc to custom control these. I assume the hs105 is similar...

https://blog.georgovassilis.com/2016/05 ... mart-plug/
Interesting, but a lot of people have already done that for you for free (IFTTT/Olisto/Home Assistant/OpenHab etc.), so unless you have a particular interest it's probably not worth the effort to write and maintain your own code. I'm just glad that TP-Link has made their control api sufficiently open for other services to control these devices directly without going through Kasa.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2010
1442 posts
1406 upvotes
One other plus with these switches is that they will handle 15amps, as opposed to 10 for the CE Smart ones. I have two of the TP-Link and several of the CE Smart ones and the CE's are limited to things like lights, whereas the TP-Link I've used to remotely control things like a toaster oven and kettle.
Beep\Bop\Boop
Aug 30, 2005
463 posts
147 upvotes
ShinNoodles wrote: Then according to your linked cnet article, the same applies to big brands:

No brand/technology is immune to this. That's just the pace at which technology grows.
TPLINK is likely better than other brands as I have tested smart light switches without internet. This means everything is connect to the router but pull the DSL/Cable plug. Then you can launch the TPLINK app on your phone and it shows Local. You can still control these devices.

So based on my experience with the above, I expect the smart plug to behave the same way.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2015
5778 posts
6721 upvotes
Alberta
What's nice is that tplink is also now supported natively by smartthings. They worked fine before using custom device handlers, but they are now much simpler for users to add them to smartthings.
Aug 19, 2009
592 posts
483 upvotes
dimsumboi wrote: Not as low as previous sales price of $14.99 at Microsoft
whoa. When was that? I bought the 2-pack of this thing from bestbuy during xmas 2017 for $34.99. Thought that's the lowest it's ever been. Been waiting for it to drop to this price again but so far nope. I regret only buying one in 2017 so much.
I thought RFD was supposed to help me SAVE money .... -__-|

Carrytel internet is only good if you do NOT game. Do not get Carrytel if you do, you WILL regret it.
Banned
May 31, 2005
298 posts
731 upvotes
ae86fr wrote: whoa. When was that? I bought the 2-pack of this thing from bestbuy during xmas 2017 for $34.99. Thought that's the lowest it's ever been. Been waiting for it to drop to this price again but so far nope. I regret only buying one in 2017 so much.
Back in July, it was posted in this thread

You can also find out the price history at Price Dropper, apparently I can't post the link to that site here.
Sep 30, 2007
249 posts
198 upvotes
Saint-Constant, Qc
It might be a good idea to consider buying 3 from Staples right now:

3 x 19.99$ = 59.97$
Apply 10$ off 50$ coupon to get them down to 16.66$ each before taxes.

Don't forget about Rakuten (Ebates).
Last edited by Speedbeaver on Oct 8th, 2019 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sep 30, 2007
249 posts
198 upvotes
Saint-Constant, Qc
MrsDoubtfire wrote: Link to coupon?
I guess it's YMMV
I had a 10$ off 50$ coupon that I received by email in august after I bought a google nest hub from Staples.
Check the staples coupon Megathread.
Nov 4, 2006
723 posts
821 upvotes
Vancouver
Received $10 off $50 from an August purchase so $16.50 a unit pre tax is good enough for 3. Even in the states where these are available for $11 or $12 a piece USD with exchange difference is around $15 CAD...so good enough...not enough to fret over..if a better deal comes along then jump but in the meantime you have the unit. I think the $10 code is linked to an account so may not be able to share it. Do not know for sure though.