Hot Deals

[Walmart] [WM] RCA UHD 4K TV 49"/55"/65" $398/$468/$798 Shipped

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2017 11:44 am
Jul 23, 2011
309 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto
As many have noted, the sound on these units is crappy at best. I don't use my living room TV for any critical viewing so this wasn't a big problem for me even though it represents a huge downgrade from my 7 year old sony in terms of sound.

I was just poking around the back of the unit and noticed that there is a line out jack in addition to the optical out. Someday, in the future, when I upgrade my HT amp for an 11.2.2 Atmos setup, I'll bring up my 7.2 amp upstairs and make use of the optical output but for now, I'm interested in the line out.

With a small amount of effort, I'm sure I can find some old powered computer speakers I have kicking around in storage that have to be an upgrade to the built in speaker on this unit. Before I expend this effort, I'm just wondering if anyone can chime in here and let me know if I will be able to control the volume of the line out from the TVs remote?

This would be a deal breaker, as the wife and I are of differing opinions on what contstitutes a suitable listening volume.
Jan 19, 2017
135 posts
76 upvotes
crutzulee wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 11:45 am
I'm just wondering if anyone can chime in here and let me know if I will be able to control the volume of the line out from the TVs remote?

This would be a deal breaker, as the wife and I are of differing opinions on what contstitutes a suitable listening volume.
No, you will not be able to control the volume of the speakers with the remote. This is strictly a line out, so its a set volume. Optical out volume will also need to be controlled with an external amp as well.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
12731 posts
4676 upvotes
Kitchener
crutzulee wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 11:45 am
Before I expend this effort, I'm just wondering if anyone can chime in here and let me know if I will be able to control the volume of the line out from the TVs remote?
Not sure which flavor you have, but if the port is market "line out" then you can't control it with the TV remote, if its marked "headphone out" then you can.
Jul 23, 2011
309 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto
rtookey wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 12:29 pm
No, you will not be able to control the volume of the speakers with the remote. This is strictly a line out, so its a set volume. Optical out volume will also need to be controlled with an external amp as well.
aasoror wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 12:33 pm
Not sure which flavor you have, but if the port is market "line out" then you can't control it with the TV remote, if its marked "headphone out" then you can.
Thanks for the responses..I'll just live with the sound as is...I've kind of gotten used to it over the last few months..
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2012
1454 posts
330 upvotes
I had a much smaller TV from the same brand from WM. The sound was also very poor with the built in speakers. I ended up returning the TV because the lineout had a lot of noise and couldn't be used with external speakers. It would have a constant BZZZZZZZZZZZZ in the background. I hope these are different.
Wins
2015: 69.99$
Jan 19, 2017
135 posts
76 upvotes
If you're going to go external sound, definitely go for something that uses the optical output feed as opposed to the line out.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2006
1106 posts
276 upvotes
Winnipeg
I had an interesting experience with the PC Plus offers on my TV purchase last week during the no tax sale. A few people were reporting that they had an offer that gave them 1000 points per $5 of electronic purchases during the no tax sale last week.

I didn't have the offer but for some reason it showed up in my pc plus offers this week. I bought the Hisense 50" smart TV last week for $400 which would have meant 80,000 points or $80 in my pc plus rewards. Needless to say I was pretty annoyed by this as RCSS only has TVs when they advertise them - not all the time. I contacted PC plus via phone and I am waiting to see what they will do about it. The rep agreed with me that the timing of the offer was strange and pretty much useless.
Last edited by lorenzo1000 on Apr 8th, 2017 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lorenzo
Deal Fanatic
Mar 14, 2009
9391 posts
3130 upvotes
lorenzo1000 wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 11:52 am
I had an interesting experience with the PC Plus offers on my purchase last week. A few people were reporting that they had an offer that gave them 1000 points per $5 of electronic purchases during the no tax sale last week.

I didn't have the offer but for some reason it showed up in my pc plus offers this week. I bought the Hisense 50" smart TV last week for $400 which would have meant 80,000 points or $80 in my pc plus rewards. Needless to say I was pretty annoyed by this as RCSS only has TVs when they advertise them - not all the time. I contacted PC plus via phone and I am waiting to see what they will do about it. The rep agreed with me that the timing of the offer was strange and pretty much useless.
You are a true RFD'er.
I am a Koodo customer, a Zoomer customer, and a Public Mobile customer.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
6693 posts
648 upvotes
Alberta
lorenzo1000 wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 11:52 am
I had an interesting experience with the PC Plus offers on my purchase last week. A few people were reporting that they had an offer that gave them 1000 points per $5 of electronic purchases during the no tax sale last week.

wrong thread.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2006
1106 posts
276 upvotes
Winnipeg
DavidY wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 11:57 am
wrong thread.
Not at all....I am posting in case people who got a TV last week (including the RCA TVs) without the offer for 1000 points per $5 of electronic purchases got the offer this week so they can contact PC Plus to possibly get the extra points. Seems like a common courtesy to me.
Lorenzo
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2006
1106 posts
276 upvotes
Winnipeg
SickBeast wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 11:56 am
You are a true RFD'er.
Yes I'm certainly not going to throw away a potential $80 in points without at least inquiring about it. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Lorenzo
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
12731 posts
4676 upvotes
Kitchener
lorenzo1000 wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 2:12 pm
Yes I'm certainly not going to throw away a potential $80 in points without at least inquiring about it. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Good luck with that, though the whole point of promotions is to generate more sales for retailers not more savings to the customers :) thats why every single coupon, promo says "not applicable to prior purchases", same reason SDM doesn't offer real discounts during their "redemption events". So yeah if people tried and was turned down just remember it's "courtesy" and they are not obliged to do it.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2006
1106 posts
276 upvotes
Winnipeg
aasoror wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 4:52 pm
Good luck with that, though the whole point of promotions is to generate more sales for retailers not more savings to the customers :) thats why every single coupon, promo says "not applicable to prior purchases", same reason SDM doesn't offer real discounts during their "redemption events". So yeah if people tried and was turned down just remember it's "courtesy" and they are not obliged to do it.
So tell me what's the point of giving me a promo for electronics purchases when they don't have any electronics to purchase? It has nothing to do with "courtesy" in this case. There are no electronics to purchase so there is no way to use the actual promo. Lol!!!
Lorenzo
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
12731 posts
4676 upvotes
Kitchener
lorenzo1000 wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 10:26 pm
So tell me what's the point of giving me a promo for electronics purchases when they don't have any electronics to purchase? It has nothing to do with "courtesy" in this case. There are no electronics to purchase so there is no way to use the actual promo. Lol!!!
But they do have electronics to purchase. The promo is applicable at any of the lowblows stores enrolled in PC points program, while they no longer have an electronics dept they don't send the electronics they receive for the no tax event back after the no tax event is over, so the offer is available for any leftovers at the stores (probably why the offer appeared "after" the no tax event, to help clear out the stores), any new electronics they do have this week (they have a printer advertised for this week) and the next couple of weeks (you can usually push personalized offers over for a week or two), and for the prepaid phones PC mobile desks have.

Also note that these are personalized offers depending on your shopping habits, so there is also a chance that you wouldn't have received this offer if you didn't make your latest electronics purchase during the no tax event ;)
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
1128 posts
166 upvotes
Mississauga
Yea I bought the 65" and did not get any PC points offer.. and I have 1M points to redeem.