Stock at Bowmanville, On. Right now.

No episodes 1,2,3.
IMG_20191210_110155.jpg
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
2738 posts
2327 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
So these are identical to the versions Best Buy is selling, still at their regular price of $19.99.

So Walmart is obviously taking the initiative to clear these out, so it's fair to assume they are (or were :p) sitting on a fair bit of stock. Whether they worked out a deal with Disney or not is obviously in question, but yeah.
Apr 16, 2002
829 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP!

Just picked up the complete set of 10.. grabbed the 4K versions of Solo and Last Jedi.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
13458 posts
3987 upvotes
Toronto
toprodcr wrote: I'm not sure I get the digital code thing. The whole reason I buy bluray is for the enhanced picture quality and fabulous audio. Why would you settle for less?
Because there's no way to get the digital copies for $4 on Google Play or Itunes store. Not everyone wants to subscribe to Disney plus and the most recent two movies aren't yet on Disney Plus.

Far more people are gonna be interested in watching this in a digital format versus blu ray discs. I personally don't know anyone who still regular watches Blu Ray discs. For audio and video philes, Blu Ray is obviously better but that is a small minority of ppl
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
13458 posts
3987 upvotes
Toronto
peytonpeanut2017 wrote: does the "solo" come in regular blu ray ? i've only been seeing 4K version and the dvd.... would like to get the regular blu ray to add to my set. wasn't a good movie... but it's star wars none the less.
Yes, it comes in regular BD, I wasn't able to find the 4k version in Toronto, but the regular version is easy to find.

I am expecting DIsney to release a box set of all eleven films in 4k for Christmas season 2020, but it is gonna cost way more than $4 a movie.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
13458 posts
3987 upvotes
Toronto
peytonpeanut2017 wrote: anyone planning a trip to the falls, they have tons of them here and at the welland location. st. catherines has been ransacked so it's hit and miss what you find. i'm only looking for the solo in blu ray but can only find the 4K version... may end up getting it if they don't have a true regular version.
I think the Solo 4k package also includes a regular 1080p Blu Ray, no?
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
13458 posts
3987 upvotes
Toronto
chemicalxv wrote: So these are identical to the versions Best Buy is selling, still at their regular price of $19.99.

So Walmart is obviously taking the initiative to clear these out, so it's fair to assume they are (or were :p) sitting on a fair bit of stock. Whether they worked out a deal with Disney or not is obviously in question, but yeah.
Probably just clearing them as a reaction to the launch of Disney Plus as well as the new movie coming out this month. Walmart is the only major brick and mortar retailer in ontario that still has a large selection of Blu Rays and DVDs. Nowadays the selection of movies in store at Best Buy is tiny and almost non existent.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
2738 posts
2327 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Kurtz7834 wrote: Probably just clearing them as a reaction to the launch of Disney Plus as well as the new movie coming out this month. Walmart is the only major brick and mortar retailer in ontario that still has a large selection of Blu Rays and DVDs. Nowadays the selection of movies in store at Best Buy is tiny and almost non existent.
That's obviously different than here then, because the Best Buy that's closest to my house absolutely blows the three Walmarts I go to out of the water when it comes to movie selection and I haven't seen a single Walmart that has more than a half dozen 4k movies being sold at any given time. In fact I'm pretty sure they still carry more DVDs than 4k movies.
Nov 18, 2014
149 posts
129 upvotes
Victoria, BC

This might be of interest. Screen shots of Blu-Ray vs House of mouse +
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
13458 posts
3987 upvotes
Toronto
chemicalxv wrote: That's obviously different than here then, because the Best Buy that's closest to my house absolutely blows the three Walmarts I go to out of the water when it comes to movie selection and I haven't seen a single Walmart that has more than a half dozen 4k movies being sold at any given time. In fact I'm pretty sure they still carry more DVDs than 4k movies.
Interesting.

The reality is that very few people own 4k enabled Blu Ray players, so the market for these movies is very small. Even for those with 4k enabled game consoles, very few of those console owners will care about buying 4k Blu Ray discs. So there is a good argument for the store not stocking them on shelves. DVD continues to outsell 1080p Blu Ray, as far as I know...

4K discs are unfortunately coming of age when physical media is rapidly dying. So they will forever remain a 'niche, videophile' product like the Laserdisc was.

Most of the mass market moved from DVD -> Streaming services, even 1080p Blu Ray never really took off en masse. In the future we will see more streaming services offer 4k content, and hopefully improved video quality with less compression. CRAVE is really terrible for this.

At $4 per movie for a digital Full HD copy and 1080p Blu Ray, these movies are a no brainer buy for Star Wars fans.
Dec 28, 2012
522 posts
353 upvotes
OTTAWA
Kanata/Stittsville there are literally 0

Even though stock tracker shows over 10 of each in stock.

I spoke to personnel and they thought maybe it was a vendor managed merchandise and the rep came in and cleared them out.

like not a single DVD/BluRay Star wars available... very odd
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
13458 posts
3987 upvotes
Toronto
millsthrills wrote: Kanata/Stittsville there are literally 0

Even though stock tracker shows over 10 of each in stock.

I spoke to personnel and they thought maybe it was a vendor managed merchandise and the rep came in and cleared them out.

like not a single DVD/BluRay Star wars available... very odd
Stocktrack.ca is not always accurate. There are also lots of hoarders and resellers buying these. Although they'd probably leave the DVDs, lol.

I'm not sure if Walmart will be restocking these at $4, my guess is No.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
13458 posts
3987 upvotes
Toronto
chemicalxv wrote: So these are identical to the versions Best Buy is selling, still at their regular price of $19.99.

It wouldn't surprise me if Disney wanted these movies cleared out / discontinued to put them back into their 'vault' until the whole series is released in 12 months in 4k, and also to push people onto Disney+ subscriptions. Disney is like that.
Last edited by Kurtz7834 on Dec 10th, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
13458 posts
3987 upvotes
Toronto
Gawd, I watched the Phantom Menace again, and it really is terrible, lol.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
20629 posts
2970 upvotes
YUL
Kurtz7834 wrote: Interesting.

The reality is that very few people own 4k enabled Blu Ray players, so the market for these movies is very small. Even for those with 4k enabled game consoles, very few of those console owners will care about buying 4k Blu Ray discs. So there is a good argument for the store not stocking them on shelves. DVD continues to outsell 1080p Blu Ray, as far as I know...

4K discs are unfortunately coming of age when physical media is rapidly dying. So they will forever remain a 'niche, videophile' product like the Laserdisc was.

Most of the mass market moved from DVD -> Streaming services, even 1080p Blu Ray never really took off en masse. In the future we will see more streaming services offer 4k content, and hopefully improved video quality with less compression. CRAVE is really terrible for this.

At $4 per movie for a digital Full HD copy and 1080p Blu Ray, these movies are a no brainer buy for Star Wars fans.
The majority of the industry has moved away from physical media and into streaming. 4K UHD is becoming a niche market for videophiles, who care about every last bit of detail. I am one of those people. That being said, unless you have a QLED or OLED, you won't notice a difference on an entry level or mid-range 4k set. Even then, you also need that combined with a high end player like a Panasonic 820 or Oppo. Even the Xbox with the UHD player doesn't play to the high standards that a standalone high end UHD player will. So, for most people, streaming and regular blu-rays will be more than enough.