• Oct 5th, 2010 4:54 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 22, 2007
272 posts
15 upvotes

Walmart's Rain Check LIE

Walmart flyers have some fine print which includes the assurance that if an advertised item is out of stock, a rain check will be issued. This is a barefaced LIE, as anyone who has ever asked for a raincheck knows, and I am among those told that store policy is to NOT issue rain checks.
Someone must have finally pointed out this fine example of Walmart's business ethic to the Competition Bureau, because in this week's local paper, there is a notice from Walmart, basically saying to ignore the claim in the flyer, and that all advertised items are to be considered "while supplies last".
Astounding isn't it - big business so arrogant that they promise something in writing, but when asked to actually fulfill that, they tell you to go to hell!
Business ethics 101.
43 replies
Aug 16, 2010
171 posts
4 upvotes
Kingston, ON/ Missis…
jan_db wrote:
Sep 25th, 2010 10:58 am
Walmart flyers have some fine print which includes the assurance that if an advertised item is out of stock, a rain check will be issued. This is a barefaced LIE, as anyone who has ever asked for a raincheck knows, and I am among those told that store policy is to NOT issue rain checks.
Someone must have finally pointed out this fine example of Walmart's business ethic to the Competition Bureau, because in this week's local paper, there is a notice from Walmart, basically saying to ignore the claim in the flyer, and that all advertised items are to be considered "while supplies last".
Astounding isn't it - big business so arrogant that they promise something in writing, but when asked to actually fulfill that, they tell you to go to hell!
Business ethics 101.

I am just wondering, if you have ever pointed to them the claim on the flyer or asked the manager to deal with your issue? Sometimes when you ask cashiers (or random people on the floor) they don't even have the slightest clue about a lot of things...(never needed a rain check but keep in mind to ask if I ever need it)
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
18400 posts
2407 upvotes
Waterloo
Waterloo walmart has a big sign up front saying they don't issue rain check for Anniversary sale items

but I agree with you, I've tried to get rain check from Walmart once and customer service just says "it's on sale, we can't give rain check".... eh, what's the point of rain check then?

On the other hand, Canadian Tire is great at giving rain checks!! except the items that says "no raincheck" on the flyer...which is fair
Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 20K
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5760 posts
543 upvotes
If Wal Mart's policies bother you then shop elsewhere.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
1958 posts
193 upvotes
jerryhung wrote:
Sep 25th, 2010 1:19 pm
Waterloo walmart has a big sign up front saying they don't issue rain check for Anniversary sale items

but I agree with you, I've tried to get rain check from Walmart once and customer service just says "it's on sale, we can't give rain check".... eh, what's the point of rain check then?

On the other hand, Canadian Tire is great at giving rain checks!! except the items that says "no raincheck" on the flyer...which is fair

Walmart doesn't give rain checks on "Limited Time" items but sale items ("Rollbacks") are fine for RCs.
[OP]
Feb 22, 2007
272 posts
15 upvotes
enhanced wrote:
Sep 25th, 2010 3:40 pm
Walmart doesn't give rain checks on "Limited Time" items but sale items ("Rollbacks") are fine for RCs.

Where? Both the customer service manager and the store manager at our local Walmart Supercentre have refused me rainchecks because it's "store policy" NOT to give rain checks, period.
[OP]
Feb 22, 2007
272 posts
15 upvotes
Mariat wrote:
Sep 25th, 2010 1:15 pm
I am just wondering, if you have ever pointed to them the claim on the flyer or asked the manager to deal with your issue?
Yes, and they just kept repeating. like a broken record, that it's store policy NOT to issue rainchecks, even while I stood there and pointed to the statement in the flyer.
Obviously, it's also store policy to lie.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2006
3318 posts
150 upvotes
jan_db wrote:
Sep 25th, 2010 4:01 pm
Where? Both the customer service manager and the store manager at our local Walmart Supercentre have refused me rainchecks because it's "store policy" NOT to give rain checks, period.

That's ridiculous. Although I find Walmart disingenuous most of the time, I have never heard of them not giving rainchecks on regularly stocked items. I think you must have misunderstood.

The anniversary items are always special order in some way, either size, packaging or bonus items. That way they can avoid handing out rainchecks because they will not get the same item again.

The best way to avoid Walmart hassles to is to avoid them all together. The stores are disastrous, the staff and poorly trained, the line-ups are long and they don't seem to mind one bit. I go strictly for the loss-leaders like diapers and try to get there when the sale starts. Sometimes they have the items, sometimes not.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
1958 posts
193 upvotes
jan_db wrote:
Sep 25th, 2010 4:01 pm

Walmart has rain check forms so it's definitely not chain-wide that they are refusing rain checks because of "store policy". They have those forms for a reason so it's a service provided for sure. Maybe your local Walmart managers are disingenuous and lying to you? If you really want to make a ruckus out of this, then call their head office. My local Walmart gives out rainchecks but only for the items in the flyers that are not "Limited Time".
jcon wrote:
Sep 25th, 2010 4:13 pm
That's ridiculous. Although I find Walmart disingenuous most of the time, I have never heard of them not giving rainchecks on regularly stocked items. I think you must have misunderstood.

The anniversary items are always special order in some way, either size, packaging or bonus items. That way they can avoid handing out rainchecks because they will not get the same item again.

The best way to avoid Walmart hassles to is to avoid them all together. The stores are disastrous, the staff and poorly trained, the line-ups are long and they don't seem to mind one bit. I go strictly for the loss-leaders like diapers and try to get there when the sale starts. Sometimes they have the items, sometimes not.

Walmart provides an adequate service for the demographic they target. That target is low income families and individuals who couldn't careless for knowledgeable staff or a store that is neat and tidy. They also wouldn't mind waiting in line for 10-15 minutes as long as they at the end save a couple of bucks at the end.

Walmart's strategy is not in-tuned to provide expert knowledge or accommodating customer service despite what they preach. If they did, why else would people go to Metro, Shoppers or any other more upscale retailers that provide a higher level of service? The age old saying is "you get what you pay for" and the same applies here.

So yes, I agree with you here. If you want to avoid the hassles of inconsistent and inane Walmart policies and staff then the best thing to do is avoid them all together. Spend the extra few dollars and shop at a place that won't just say anything to get you out of the store.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4337 posts
272 upvotes
Toronto
jerryhung wrote:
Sep 25th, 2010 1:19 pm
I've tried to get rain check from Walmart once and customer service just says "it's on sale, we can't give rain check".... eh, what's the point of rain check then?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Expert
Nov 27, 2006
16130 posts
357 upvotes
Etobicoke
jan_db wrote:
Sep 25th, 2010 10:58 am
Business ethics 101.

I have never had a problem getting rain checks from Walmart. One time they had Maxwell House coffee (1k) for $3.97 and were out of them. I got a rain check for TEN of them (they asked me how many I wanted). When it was back in stock I went and got five and they crossed off the 10, change it to 5 and gave it back to me. Another time, they had my pop for $2.97....same thing, got a raincheck for 10, went back another day and got 5, they crossed off the ten, changed it to a 5 and gave it back to me. That's something I've never seen a store do, I was very impressed. Obviously YMMV...like I said I've never had a problem getting rain checks. So no, it's not a 'barefaced lie'.
enhanced wrote:
Sep 25th, 2010 5:46 pm
Walmart has rain check forms so it's definitely not chain-wide that they are refusing rain checks because of "store policy". They have those forms for a reason so it's a service provided for sure. Maybe your local Walmart managers are disingenuous and lying to you? If you really want to make a ruckus out of this, then call their head office. My local Walmart gives out rainchecks but only for the items in the flyers that are not "Limited Time".

Walmart provides an adequate service for the demographic they target. That target is low income families and individuals who couldn't careless for knowledgeable staff or a store that is neat and tidy. They also wouldn't mind waiting in line for 10-15 minutes as long as they at the end save a couple of bucks at the end.
Or for smart shoppers. How often do you see 1kg coffee for $3.97 or bottles of pop (710 ml) for $2.97. You want to spend more so you can say you're not poor? Well you will be if you spend more than necessary just to avoid your own characterization of 'low income shoppers who don't care about anything except cheap prices' and start being a 'smart' shopper.
Avril Lavigne Black Star Parfum & Cineplex Night out for Two $126, Leapster Gaming System worth $59.99 US; Trip to Cuba ARV $2000; Cineplex Movie ticket (iCoke/Nestea contest)$10; Palaria Clothing Hoody $69;Joe Fresh GC $25; 4 tics for Ted Nugent Concert; Joe Fresh Make-up Kit $50.00; $25 Bath & Body Works GC (Fresh Fiction contest for DiAnn Mills); $1000 in TD Exlusive Offers contest; $100 necklace from an on-the-spot draw while shopping at Sears
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
1958 posts
193 upvotes
Nikita wrote:
Sep 25th, 2010 10:23 pm
Or for smart shoppers. How often do you see 1kg coffee for $3.97 or bottles of pop (710 ml) for $2.97. You want to spend more so you can say you're not poor? Well you will be if you spend more than necessary just to avoid your own characterization of 'low income shoppers who don't care about anything except cheap prices' and start being a 'smart' shopper.
Walmart's target customer demographic is low income families, simple as that. That doesn't mean "smart shoppers" are excluded; it just means that they aren't the ones targeted. Walmart makes very little money on customers who do smart shopping – that is those who come into the store and only buy the diapers or the coffee that is on sale. I never said that I wanted to spend more so I could feel like I'm all high and mighty. I'm just one of those people that don't make a ruckus because my local Walmart has crap all over the floor on a busy Saturday and I cannot find a single employee to help me. I recognize it as a trade off.

The bolded part that you so kindly pointed out was not meant to to bash the people that shop at Walmart at all. All I was try to communicate is that Walmart's target market prioritizes a clean and organized store lower than competitive pricing and as so, people that shop at Walmart (whether a smart shopper, a low incomer or anyone for that matter) shouldn't be shocked if customer service isn't a very high priority.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2006
3318 posts
150 upvotes
enhanced wrote:
Sep 25th, 2010 5:46 pm

Walmart's strategy is not in-tuned to provide expert knowledge or accommodating customer service despite what they preach. If they did, why else would people go to Metro, Shoppers or any other more upscale retailers that provide a higher level of service? The age old saying is "you get what you pay for" and the same applies here.

So yes, I agree with you here. If you want to avoid the hassles of inconsistent and inane Walmart policies and staff then the best thing to do is avoid them all together. Spend the extra few dollars and shop at a place that won't just say anything to get you out of the store.

I think they used to provide better service and have cleaner stores. In time, they've cut the service level and stores have suffered.

Certainly part of the target for Walmart is low-income but I would suggest that middle-income earners are also a target. If you look at their product lines, mostly name brand products matched with Walmart branded products as well. Most grocery items can be found at your local grocery store as well. They've historically had a wide segment of the market.

I expect nothing out of Walmart so I'm never disappointed. If that's where someone wants to spend their money, they are free to do so.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2006
3318 posts
150 upvotes
Nikita wrote:
Sep 25th, 2010 10:23 pm

Most grocery stores, if you follow the sales patterns, do offer these levels of prices regularly. Being a 'smart shopper' does not always mean spending 45-60 minutes fighting through crowds, standing in line, being frustrated by the lack cleanliness or shorted stock. To me, it means enjoying my shopping experience and doing it in a timely manner. My sanity and time is worth more than the $.50 I might save on a pack of TP.

That being said, if Walmart lures me in with the promise of saving a larger amount of money, $5 - $10 on diapers, I'll likely bite! (But I know what I'm getting my self into)
× < >