Hot Deals

[Walt Disney World] Walt Disney World Free Dining Offer for Select dates this fall

• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2017 7:28 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2007
3654 posts
187 upvotes
cbrunett wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 10:03 am
I think a lot of people are booking the Value resort and upgrading to the "regular" Disney Dining Plan (which includes 1 Table Service/day). Getting a Value Resort + upgrading to the DDP is similar in price to a Moderate resort with just the Quick Service Dining Plan (Counter service meals) under the current promotion (depends as well on number of people in your party). Keep in mind that Value resort rooms are much smaller in size than Moderate Hotels. If you plan to only sleep in your room after long days in the park, Value might work for you. If you plan to spend more time at the resort, than Moderates might be better.

There is a lot of construction going on at Moderate Resorts. Caribbean Beach Resort and Corondo Springs have lots of rooms out of action. With fewer Moderate Rooms, I think Disney feels they won't have as many vacancies this year in this category.

Also word is Disney would love to get ride of this promo. Each year it becomes a little less enticing. I suspect this is Disney's way of phasing it out.
How much extra is it to upgrade to the "regular" dining plan from the free/included quick service one? Any ideas?
Proud member of SENS Army
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
11220 posts
3326 upvotes
Oakville
mself084 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 8:42 am
Curious if anyone has done the math on discounted tickets (option 1) vs paying full price but getting a meal plan (option 2)? It's about $900 difference for us (family of 3), I think, for 8 days. Will I spend more than $110ish/day on food for 2 adults and a 3 year old if I pick option 1?
Depends on where/what you eat. Prices range quite a bit at various resort restaurants. Quick service meals (which is what this covers) ranged around $13-17 per adult when we were there a few weeks ago, if memory serves (though you can check prices on the website, as mentioned above). For table service meals, you could quite easily spend over $110/day. But you'd have to do the math, factoring up the upgrade price to the regular dining plan, to see how much per day it would work out to.
Public Mobile
Koodo
Dec 7, 2007
208 posts
64 upvotes
Just booked over Christmas - the heads up is much appreciated OP.

I know its a gong show there over the holidays but its a bucket list thing.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2013
2255 posts
621 upvotes
mself084 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 10:47 am
How much extra is it to upgrade to the "regular" dining plan from the free/included quick service one? Any ideas?
they charge the difference between the quick serve dining plan and the table service dining plan, so, if you think that you will spend all day/night in the parks, it worth it to take the value resort IMHO, and pay the upgrade. Don't forget that if you plan to make advanced reservation at the restaurants, plan to be in that park that day, unless you have the Park Hopper option, wich is a must if you have the table service dining plan...
[OP]
Nov 23, 2013
40 posts
149 upvotes
mself084 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 10:47 am
I don't have the precise number but it is about $21/day/adult to upgrade from Quick Service Dining to the "regular" Disney Dining plan. Kids (9 and under) is $4/day/kid. So the upgrade isn't too expensive, particularly if you want to do table service meals.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2004
1912 posts
225 upvotes
Montreal
Stupid question but are the beverages included in the dining plans?
| I7 3770K @ 4.2GHZ | ASUS P8Z68 Dlx | Corsair H80 | Kingston 2x4gb Hyperx @ 1600mhz | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Samsung 840 pro 256gb SSD | Silverstone FT-02 | Corsair AX-850 | Audio Engine A2 | Dell U3415W |
|Intel NUC DC3217BY|
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
11220 posts
3326 upvotes
Oakville
Mcklain wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 11:39 am
Stupid question but are the beverages included in the dining plans?
Quick service meals come with a beverage, yes. And I believe all meal plans come with a refillable mug that you can use for unlimited free fountain drink refills at resort quickservice restaurants (came in handy when we were visiting my aunt and uncle over at Port Orleans for the afternoon, we were staying at Pop Century). Any other beverages have to be paid for.
Public Mobile
Koodo
Mar 7, 2006
64 posts
21 upvotes
I was waiting to see how the free dining might work for us, we have gone 3 times over the past few years, and have never been within the dates for free dining. We booked for late August, and the room discount vs 'free' dining was ~$1300 CAD (3 of us, 14 days). In the past we have spent about 700 on food and souvenir crap in the parks over 7 days, so I booked with room and ticket discount instead of free dining.

Something you should take a look at if you are going to stay onsite with no vehicle is Garden Grocer, we order from their website and have snacks and beverages delivered to the room within an hour of our arrival:

https://www.gardengrocer.com/
Mar 27, 2006
117 posts
8 upvotes
Sudbury
I used them for alcohol (beer) also, goes in a refillable mug just fine :)

stunticon wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 11:56 am
I was waiting to see how the free dining might work for us, we have gone 3 times over the past few years, and have never been within the dates for free dining. We booked for late August, and the room discount vs 'free' dining was ~$1300 CAD (3 of us, 14 days). In the past we have spent about 700 on food and souvenir crap in the parks over 7 days, so I booked with room and ticket discount instead of free dining.

Something you should take a look at if you are going to stay onsite with no vehicle is Garden Grocer, we order from their website and have snacks and beverages delivered to the room within an hour of our arrival:

Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2007
3654 posts
187 upvotes
stunticon wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 11:56 am

Awesome - this may have made my decision for me :) They come right to your hotel room?
Proud member of SENS Army
Mar 7, 2006
64 posts
21 upvotes
Yes, you tell them when you make the order where you are staying and the time window you want it delivered, and they get it there that day. You won't know what room you will be in, and you don't want to wait around for them, so last couple of times we dropped our bags off at our room, headed to the park, and the stuff was in the room when we got back.
Mar 21, 2012
4 posts
1 upvote
Winnipeg
We just came back and had the regular dining plan. After a few days it got tiring having to go for tablemservice dinners every day. The kids hated wasting time away from the rides, and tbh Disney has improved with the food quality at the quick service restaurants, I'm not sure we would do the dining plan next time. And park hopper with kids is a bit of a waste, you will spend a lot of time running between parks to get use out of them.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
11220 posts
3326 upvotes
Oakville
kellykapps wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 3:37 pm
We just came back and had the regular dining plan. After a few days it got tiring having to go for tablemservice dinners every day. The kids hated wasting time away from the rides, and tbh Disney has improved with the food quality at the quick service restaurants, I'm not sure we would do the dining plan next time. And park hopper with kids is a bit of a waste, you will spend a lot of time running between parks to get use out of them.
I guess it depends on your kids. My 5 and 8 year olds loved the table service meals, since there were plenty of character dining experiences to be had at table service meals (plus Rainforest Cafe, etc). The Quick service meal variety got pretty tiresome by the end of our trip as well (10 days total, 6 days in park), and that was with only one quick service meal a day.
Public Mobile
Koodo
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2004
1912 posts
225 upvotes
Montreal
How much time can we expect to waste at a sit down table service (from the moment you are seated) VS quick service?

Also do you need to give out tip for the sit down table service?
| I7 3770K @ 4.2GHZ | ASUS P8Z68 Dlx | Corsair H80 | Kingston 2x4gb Hyperx @ 1600mhz | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Samsung 840 pro 256gb SSD | Silverstone FT-02 | Corsair AX-850 | Audio Engine A2 | Dell U3415W |
|Intel NUC DC3217BY|
Nov 26, 2013
347 posts
174 upvotes
Winnipeg
Out of curiosity, how much do you guys tip when you get the meal plan?

The last time we went our travel adviser told us not to, and the bill under the deluxe plan for the two of us would hover around $160 - $200+ depending on where we went. We felt like 15% was too much given how expensive the trip was, and ended up tipping $10/15 every (sit-down) meal. Is that too low? Should we have tipped more, or even not at all?
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel