• Jan 14th, 2019 6:43 pm
[OP]
Apr 20, 2018
453 posts
52 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

Want to build a greenhouse

I built a cage like to grow some fruit and veggie in pots

It not bad .. it 8x4x4' with wire mesh on the walls to prevent raccoon, rabbits, birds, squirrel and chipmunk but my tomato tree outgrew the cage by at least 2 feet, a few plants are taller than me (I'm 6 feet).. I overestimate how tall tomato plants can grow lol

But my main problem was the chipmunk was able to get inside and ate a few of my strawberries so I had to bring them inside the house

I want to upgrade my setup and do a green house and better protection from animals.

So I was wondering if anybody here built an affordable green house or know a good priced green house kit to build
36 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9949 posts
7234 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
I hear ya...

We have been happily growing flowers & Veggies for years in containers... but this year the VARMIN have come out of the woodwork, and are wrecking havoc ... eating & destroying everything in sight. I think it is because of the extremely lonnnng winter we had. My garden has definitely suffered with the slow start waiting for temps to warm up (June) and now this

As much as i’d love to invest in a greenhouse, they are expensive... and take up a lot of space in the yard for what equals a short period of functionality

I found this website, while googling for DIY Greenhouses

https://growerflow.com/forum/diy-mini-g ... e-t51.html

And am considering these options (features both a large unit, and some smaller ones)

He even gives pretty much play by play description here of how to make the taller unit, which is workable both indoors & out

He fixes it up with shelves & lights for seed starting indoors
And yet has enough room to grow tall plants outdoors... (lots of pics of both scenarios)

And just look at those Tomatoes!

Size he made fits eight 5 Gallon Pails... 4 Across x 2 Deep. Perfect for my needs.

I think i’ll make it without the fixed side windows... everything on hinges... so it can easily be transported inside, or left outside over the winter without the windows
[OP]
Apr 20, 2018
453 posts
52 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
PointsHubby wrote:
Aug 10th, 2018 1:33 pm
I hear ya...

We have been happily growing flowers & Veggies for years in containers... but this year the VARMIN have come out of the woodwork, and are wrecking havoc ... eating & destroying everything in sight. I think it is because of the extremely lonnnng winter we had. My garden has definitely suffered with the slow start waiting for temps to warm up (June) and now this

As much as i’d love to invest in a greenhouse, they are expensive... and take up a lot of space in the yard for what equals a short period of functionality

I found this website, while googling for DIY Greenhouses

https://growerflow.com/forum/diy-mini-g ... e-t51.html

And am considering these options (features both a large unit, and some smaller ones)

He even gives pretty much play by play description here of how to make the taller unit, which is workable both indoors & out

He fixes it up with shelves & lights for seed starting indoors
And yet has enough room to grow tall plants outdoors... (lots of pics of both scenarios)

And just look at those Tomatoes!

Size he made fits eight 5 Gallon Pails... 4 Across x 2 Deep. Perfect for my needs.

I think i’ll make it without the fixed side windows... everything on hinges... so it can easily be transported inside, or left outside over the winter without the windows
Yes! I was surprised how pricey the greenhouses are

Look good...Pretty tight fit with 8 buckets .. don't plants need good air circulation?

I'm thinking of building 8' cube ... Trying to figure out what cheap material is best to prevent animal getting inside.. wire mesh with smaller holes is expensive and plastic mesh won't hold because I'm sure if they desperate enough, they will chew it through eventually
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9949 posts
7234 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Re - Air Circulation

With all the windows on hinges, you can just open them in the daytime, and close them up at night as the sun sets & temps lower.

Everything open... should lower humidity too. Which can be problematic for bringing on disease.

I may just design it so at least one window is more like a door (longer, closer to ground), so I can easily drag the plants in and out if need be (ie pots on wheels)

But as I said , at least where I am... my greatest problem is Squirrels & Raccoons... who like to work nights.

This unit should secure my plants and deter the little buggers from their nightly nibbles
(Makes me sick when they just knaw ONE bite out of a fruit / veg then abandon it)
8 Foot Square Greenhouse... then you certainly are investing your space and money in this endeavour
Great if you can DIY
I think i’d Just buy a prefab
From my research there are lots of websites that have those
Google to find them... but Costco.ca, Wayfair.ca, etc come to mind
[OP]
Apr 20, 2018
453 posts
52 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Lmao yes! They basically telling us fcuk you by leaving a piece behind.. pricks lol

Here is a pic of my cage

I need like 8' cause tomato tree is growing taller than me and still probably have another 2 months of growing time max before the cold come

Had an acorn squash ... Growing too big that I had to pull it out of the cage and there was a quite a few bites mark when I assumed from a squirrel
Images
  • IMG_20180806_124111.jpg
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2389 posts
674 upvotes
Windsor
I looked into making a greenhouse, and found some interesting issues. Straight away: Your greenhouse will never come close to paying for itself. If you're doing this for cheap produce, I'd suggest skipping this project. Now, if you like the look, and you like working inside a greenhouse, then there's value to your "brain", and that's hard to put a price on.

The cheapest greenhouse is the plastic with PVC hoops style. IMO, also the ugliest sitting in your backyard, but to each their own. Animals will PROBABLY eat through the plastic, and inclement weather will potentially rip it, but if neither of those things happen, they're pretty awesome $$/performance. Also, this style is good for keeping winter-hearty produce alive in the winter months, while allowing you access to your plants.

The next option is the "pile of windows" style, or "corrugated polycarbonate"; basically troll Kijiji for cheap windows, or buy those poly-corrugated sheets, then you just attach them all together somehow. Animals will likely never get through it, but might be spendy, might not. Advantage is a LOT of sunlight gets through, and potentially low cost. They can look pretty good too.

Another is the "shed/barn with windows" style, which is what I personally want to do. Basically, you make a wooden structure, and at least one side of it is windows. If you want to get fancier, you can make the ceiling transparent somehow (probably poly-corrugated panels), but you'll lose considerable heat through just about anything EXCEPT for skylights. Also, I believe for your greenhouse to be "code", the overhead panels need to be shatter-proof. Advantage is they can look nice, you should easily be able to make it big enough to have you inside to tend to the plants, and potentially becomes a fall sitting area (a-la gazebo). Downside is cost, though this is the only style you'd likely be able to start plants early in the season with.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6771 posts
3046 upvotes
Paris
Most window companies have windows coming out of their butts right now. I bet I could start tomorrow morning and have enough windows to build a 18x20 structure, entirely of different sizes of windows, by the end of the day. It might look a little funny as you couldn’t guarantee sizes, but it would work.

We typically have 30-40 out back. Come get them, cheaper than paying for them to be trashed.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
[OP]
Apr 20, 2018
453 posts
52 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
ChubChub wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 2:38 pm
I looked into making a greenhouse, and found some interesting issues. Straight away: Your greenhouse will never come close to paying for itself. If you're doing this for cheap produce, I'd suggest skipping this project. Now, if you like the look, and you like working inside a greenhouse, then there's value to your "brain", and that's hard to put a price on.

The cheapest greenhouse is the plastic with PVC hoops style. IMO, also the ugliest sitting in your backyard, but to each their own. Animals will PROBABLY eat through the plastic, and inclement weather will potentially rip it, but if neither of those things happen, they're pretty awesome $$/performance. Also, this style is good for keeping winter-hearty produce alive in the winter months, while allowing you access to your plants.

The next option is the "pile of windows" style, or "corrugated polycarbonate"; basically troll Kijiji for cheap windows, or buy those poly-corrugated sheets, then you just attach them all together somehow. Animals will likely never get through it, but might be spendy, might not. Advantage is a LOT of sunlight gets through, and potentially low cost. They can look pretty good too.

Another is the "shed/barn with windows" style, which is what I personally want to do. Basically, you make a wooden structure, and at least one side of it is windows. If you want to get fancier, you can make the ceiling transparent somehow (probably poly-corrugated panels), but you'll lose considerable heat through just about anything EXCEPT for skylights. Also, I believe for your greenhouse to be "code", the overhead panels need to be shatter-proof. Advantage is they can look nice, you should easily be able to make it big enough to have you inside to tend to the plants, and potentially becomes a fall sitting area (a-la gazebo). Downside is cost, though this is the only style you'd likely be able to start plants early in the season with.
definitely not doing the actual greenhouse after seeing the prices for them haha... damn!

Look like I have to build it from scratch ... I was thinking to do the wood structure and use .6mil poly sheet with UV protection but I worry about the winter/weather/animals B&E like you mentioned
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6771 posts
3046 upvotes
Paris
raptors87 wrote:
Aug 14th, 2018 12:58 am
definitely not doing the actual greenhouse after seeing the prices for them haha... damn!

Look like I have to build it from scratch ... I was thinking to do the wood structure and use .6mil poly sheet with UV protection but I worry about the winter/weather/animals B&E like you mentioned
Honestly... come get some windows. You could build one with wood framing in between sashes and it would look funky in a good way. How big do you want it?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6771 posts
3046 upvotes
Paris
Im at the office and was just out back... patio doors. We have 3 complete patio door sashes (meaning 6 total). 4 are 36" and 2 are 30".. You could make awesome walls from 6 pieces of patio door, and it would look good too. Would still need front, back and roof. We have lots of windows for that or you could use poly if you wanted. Or heck, screen doors for the roof. Im sure any local window company is in the same boat.
Dec 25, 2007
957 posts
440 upvotes
GTA
I made a number of cold frames and small hoop houses for my garden this year and they worked well. My girlfriend found a great deal on a 6 x 14 greenhouse by Palram. I'm planning to move the hoop houses and cold frames inside the greenhouse, which should help make my yard look less unsightly.

I follow One Yard Revolution on YouTube. Patrick Dolan has a great series on his homemade hoop house.

[OP]
Apr 20, 2018
453 posts
52 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Jerico wrote:
Aug 14th, 2018 11:09 am
Honestly... come get some windows. You could build one with wood framing in between sashes and it would look funky in a good way. How big do you want it?
Jerico wrote:
Aug 14th, 2018 1:25 pm
Im at the office and was just out back... patio doors. We have 3 complete patio door sashes (meaning 6 total). 4 are 36" and 2 are 30".. You could make awesome walls from 6 pieces of patio door, and it would look good too. Would still need front, back and roof. We have lots of windows for that or you could use poly if you wanted. Or heck, screen doors for the roof. Im sure any local window company is in the same boat.
thats seem like a lot more wood work than i can handle to somewhat get the patio doors in place lol

where is your office?
Jul 15, 2003
604 posts
143 upvotes
GTA, Ontario
What are you growing and what are you trying to keep out? Here's my experience so far (in Markham) with a raised garden bed (4' x 4' x 11") with no covering (no chicken wire, no frost net, no bird net):

1) Tomatoes, I have 4 plants in the raised bed, no issues with any of them.
2) Bell peppers, I have 2 plants, no issues.
3) Strawberries, I think birds got to them. I bought a bird net from Home Depot, no issues since.
4) Lettuce, got eaten by either a rabbit or a groundhog. I started a new batch of lettuces in buckets that I have on my patio table after they got eaten. No covering on them and they are great now.
5) Radishes, I think there are bugs eating the leaves, I've failed with this crop and gave up.

Other things that I am trying and they seem to be doing okay in buckets on my patio table:

1) Broccoli, I have two fairly large broccoli plants (no broccoli crowns yet). I do have some bugs eating the leaves, but they seem okay so far (probably 2-3 feet tall now)
2) Kale, I have three kale started for roughly 1-3 weeks, seem okay. No issues so far.
3) Carrots, I have a bucket of carrots. I'm curious about this one. Lots of leaves, no issues so far.
4) Lettuce, I have two buckets of leafy lettuce and they are growing great.

This is my first year growing things and I'm surprised by our results. We have not fertilized at all, just soil and regular watering. The tomatoes and peppers we got from a local nursery, the rest I started from seed.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6771 posts
3046 upvotes
Paris
raptors87 wrote:
Aug 14th, 2018 9:09 pm
thats seem like a lot more wood work than i can handle to somewhat get the patio doors in place lol

where is your office?
The patio door doors can be put together with mending plates side by side. Or a piece of strapping across the top and bottom.

We are in Dundas, but lots of guys near you.
[OP]
Apr 20, 2018
453 posts
52 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Dymis wrote:
Aug 14th, 2018 10:12 pm
What are you growing and what are you trying to keep out? Here's my experience so far (in Markham) with a raised garden bed (4' x 4' x 11") with no covering (no chicken wire, no frost net, no bird net):

1) Tomatoes, I have 4 plants in the raised bed, no issues with any of them.
2) Bell peppers, I have 2 plants, no issues.
3) Strawberries, I think birds got to them. I bought a bird net from Home Depot, no issues since.
4) Lettuce, got eaten by either a rabbit or a groundhog. I started a new batch of lettuces in buckets that I have on my patio table after they got eaten. No covering on them and they are great now.
5) Radishes, I think there are bugs eating the leaves, I've failed with this crop and gave up.

Other things that I am trying and they seem to be doing okay in buckets on my patio table:

1) Broccoli, I have two fairly large broccoli plants (no broccoli crowns yet). I do have some bugs eating the leaves, but they seem okay so far (probably 2-3 feet tall now)
2) Kale, I have three kale started for roughly 1-3 weeks, seem okay. No issues so far.
3) Carrots, I have a bucket of carrots. I'm curious about this one. Lots of leaves, no issues so far.
4) Lettuce, I have two buckets of leafy lettuce and they are growing great.

This is my first year growing things and I'm surprised by our results. We have not fertilized at all, just soil and regular watering. The tomatoes and peppers we got from a local nursery, the rest I started from seed.
it my first year as well... currently growing

red and yellow cherry tomatoes... my best growing veggie
butternut... only a couple squashes
acorn... got one bitten by a squirrel and another one growing which is currently covered by wire mesh to prevent squirrel
strawberries.. not a good type of strawberry because it taste like crap
a few herbs.. thyme, rosemary, basil and mint

next year I want to do cherry tomatoes, maybe heirloom tomato, butternut squash, better type of strawberry, multi-colours carrots, baby kale, bell peppers, fingerling potato, and maybe spinach

trying to prevent rabbits, squirrel, skunks, raccoons, birds and chipmunk
Jerico wrote:
Aug 14th, 2018 10:17 pm
The patio door doors can be put together with mending plates side by side. Or a piece of strapping across the top and bottom.

We are in Dundas, but lots of guys near you.
dundas is a bit far... I will check around locally