604 posts
143 upvotes
GTA, Ontario
raptors87 wrote:
Aug 15th, 2018 12:44 am
it my first year as well... currently growing

red and yellow cherry tomatoes... my best growing veggie
butternut... only a couple squashes
acorn... got one bitten by a squirrel and another one growing which is currently covered by wire mesh to prevent squirrel
strawberries.. not a good type of strawberry because it taste like crap
a few herbs.. thyme, rosemary, basil and mint

next year I want to do cherry tomatoes, maybe heirloom tomato, butternut squash, better type of strawberry, multi-colours carrots, baby kale, bell peppers, fingerling potato, and maybe spinach

trying to prevent rabbits, squirrel, skunks, raccoons, birds and chipmunk

dundas is a bit far... I will check around locally
I'm just trying to say that you may not need to build an entire greenhouse to handle the situation. For me, simply elevating some items have resolved those issues. I have read that you can use cayenne pepper to prevent some of those critters and also hang tin foil will prevent birds from coming. Easy way to help is Google (what's eating my <insert crop here>) and then (how to prevent <critter name here>). As mentioned above, it may not be worth your money to build something that large, but of course that's up to you. My investment so far has been the raised bed box (got them from Costco), soil, and seeds. Next year I'll need to look into some fertilizer because I think that's what I'm missing compared to my neighbour and go from there.

I have a lot of neighbours in the area that grow their own crops (some have converted their entire backyard for this) and they don't have greenhouses and their produce thrive. They have melons, zucchinis, squash, tomatoes, beans, tons of things! Lots to learn on my end, but I love the experience so far. If you need more info, just ask.
[OP]
Apr 20, 2018
453 posts
52 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Dymis wrote:
Aug 15th, 2018 7:37 am
I'm just trying to say that you may not need to build an entire greenhouse to handle the situation. For me, simply elevating some items have resolved those issues. I have read that you can use cayenne pepper to prevent some of those critters and also hang tin foil will prevent birds from coming. Easy way to help is Google (what's eating my <insert crop here>) and then (how to prevent <critter name here>). As mentioned above, it may not be worth your money to build something that large, but of course that's up to you. My investment so far has been the raised bed box (got them from Costco), soil, and seeds. Next year I'll need to look into some fertilizer because I think that's what I'm missing compared to my neighbour and go from there.

I have a lot of neighbours in the area that grow their own crops (some have converted their entire backyard for this) and they don't have greenhouses and their produce thrive. They have melons, zucchinis, squash, tomatoes, beans, tons of things! Lots to learn on my end, but I love the experience so far. If you need more info, just ask.
I actually tried the cayenne pepper ... Pfft didn't work

Squirrel was climbing up and bitten a few times on one of my acorn squash and one time on my butternut

I had strawberries up on a table ... Half of them was eaten

I don't know what kind of squirrels, chipmunk and other animals yiu have there.. seem like they are cowards comparing to mine .. they are badasses, do what they want to do and take no prisoners lol

I used pro mix organic fertilizer

I don't think I have a neighbor growing any food... Where do you live?

Where did you get your seeds?
Images
  • IMG_20180815_204507.jpg
  • IMG_20180815_204458.jpg
  • IMG_20180815_204454.jpg
  • IMG_20180815_204448.jpg
  • IMG_20180815_204441.jpg
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
2405 posts
1762 upvotes
Clarington
Jerico wrote:
Aug 14th, 2018 10:17 pm
The patio door doors can be put together with mending plates side by side. Or a piece of strapping across the top and bottom.

We are in Dundas, but lots of guys near you.
Do patio doors fit into minivans? :D
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6771 posts
3046 upvotes
Paris
Bawler wrote:
Aug 16th, 2018 1:10 am
Do patio doors fit into minivans? :D
The sashes do. The frame are gone, I’m just talking about the doors themselves. The fixed and moving portion. Grab those remove the handles, you could stack about 10 on top of the seats if they fold down (not into the floor). Then stand them up and use strapping or the like to screw them together side by side.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
2405 posts
1762 upvotes
Clarington
Jerico wrote:
Aug 16th, 2018 10:50 am
The sashes do. The frame are gone, I’m just talking about the doors themselves. The fixed and moving portion. Grab those remove the handles, you could stack about 10 on top of the seats if they fold down (not into the floor). Then stand them up and use strapping or the like to screw them together side by side.
Super tempted to come take some off your hands. I'm in Dundas every week for the farmers market but I'm usually pretty full. I'd have to make a special trip!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6771 posts
3046 upvotes
Paris
Bawler wrote:
Aug 16th, 2018 1:11 pm
Super tempted to come take some off your hands. I'm in Dundas every week for the farmers market but I'm usually pretty full. I'd have to make a special trip!
They are about 2.5” thick without handles. 78” tall, 30-38” wide depending.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
[OP]
Apr 20, 2018
453 posts
52 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
back to thinking for this year garden

is the wire fencing the only cheap option to prevent squirrel and chipmunk from breaking in the food garden?

2' by 5' with 1/2" by 1/2" holes for $11.61.. it add up pretty quickly costly if I want to do like 10' x 6' x 8' greenhouse

is there any other options I can do?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9952 posts
7236 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
We had a decent year of Gardening in 2018.

Herbs, Tomatoes (4 types = Cherry, Beefsteak & 2 for Sauce), as well as Mini Peppers ... that all did well.

Our Cucumbers & Beans were a disappointment this year... vs in the past. I blame that on a cool spring, and a late start here in Eastern Ontario.

Radishes, Lettuces and Carrots failed miserably too. Mostly because of the critters.

This fall we expanded our indoor garden ability... and hung up an LED Growlight we bought at Costco. And then moved al the herbs & tomato plants indoors to the basement. Had fresh tomatoes right up until Christmas!

Now busy thinking about 2019.

Will be browsing the Cdn Seed Catalogues soon, and making plans for what to buy.

Got an AeroGarden on sale, and plan to set it up in February-March to begin some seeds, and then eventually transplant them into peat pots under the LED Growlight, to be later planted out in the Garden come May-June

Still thinking about some sort of small footprint greenhouse. If I go ahead on this front ... it will be because I was able to find the much needed windows and a handyman or carpenter who can make it all come together... I can visualize what I am after, but the skills required are beyond my expertise

Looked on line for readymade greenhouses (at Hardware Stores or Wayfair etc) but they either small & flimsy ... and just won’t deter the rodents ... or else they are much too big for my needs or budget.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15962 posts
6139 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 10:03 pm
This fall we expanded our indoor garden ability... and hung up an LED Growlight we bought at Costco. And then moved al the herbs & tomato plants indoors to the basement. Had fresh tomatoes right up until Christmas!
The idea of this always intrigues me - I would love to have fresh veggies year round, even if it's just cherry tomatoes.

Is there any reason you could not grow, from start to finish, your tomatoes under the grow light? What sort of power consumption does the grow light take? Any issues with bugs or humidity?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9952 posts
7236 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
TrevorK wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 10:15 pm
The idea of this always intrigues me - I would love to have fresh veggies year round, even if it's just cherry tomatoes.

Is there any reason you could not grow, from start to finish, your tomatoes under the grow light? What sort of power consumption does the grow light take? Any issues with bugs or humidity?
Honestly, IMO when it comes to plants, and particularly veggies, they do best with natural light and the great outdoors

My LED Growlight (actually 2 of them) probably doesn’t suck a ton of electrical energy... but they are on 12 hours a Day here in Mid January

https://www.costco.ca/Innova-LED-Grow-L ... 15413.html

No bugs and No humidity issues, so far.

We have recently started to mist our plants once a week or so, as it is pretty dry in the basement now come January (we run a humidifier upstairs November thru April).

I am curious about how my new AeroGarden does... according to the info i’ve read and the videos online indeed some people use these mighty little gardens to grow some plants indoors year round ... Herbs, Salad Greens, and even some Fruits & Veggies (including Cherry Tomatoes and Strawberries).

Like I said, I am mostly interested in it as a plant starter, as in my experience that’s usually the hardest bit ... getting seeds off to a good start into plants viable enough to transplant... and then keep going. In the past I have not had much success indoors in April or May with just my windowsill & peat pots... so this all is very new and exciting.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2015
3437 posts
1152 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hi all,

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but just have a quick question regarding greenhouses.

I bought one of those 4 shelf vinyl greenhouses, and was wondering when I can start to use it? Looking to start seeds and daliha clones.

In Toronto Ontario

Thanks.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15962 posts
6139 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 10:38 pm
Honestly, IMO when it comes to plants, and particularly veggies, they do best with natural light and the great outdoors
Thanks!

Maybe my dreams of year round tomatoes will have to stay dreams.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9952 posts
7236 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
JRGUINNESS wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 5:27 pm
Hi all,

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but just have a quick question regarding greenhouses.

I bought one of those 4 shelf vinyl greenhouses, and was wondering when I can start to use it? Looking to start seeds and daliha clones.

In Toronto Ontario

Thanks.
It’s more a case of WHAT you want to grow
Than WHEN

If you are talking these types of greenhouse shelving units
https://www.wayfair.ca/outdoor/pdp/pure ... p1141.html

Then they don’t provide very much protection from the weather
More ideal for Late Spring (May - June) and Summer

For more info on your Optimal Growing Schedule
Figure out your Cdn Plant Hardiness Zone, and go from there

https://open.canada.ca/en/apps/plant-ha ... nes-canada

Local Nurseries are an invaluable resource (NOT the Garden Centres at Lowe’s, Home Depot, Cdn Tire) ... but a true Nursery

Be aware though that it’s ALL ABOUT THE WEATHER... so can change year to year
[OP]
Apr 20, 2018
453 posts
52 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 10:34 pm
It’s more a case of WHAT you want to grow
Than WHEN

If you are talking these types of greenhouse shelving units
https://www.wayfair.ca/outdoor/pdp/pure ... p1141.html

Then they don’t provide very much protection from the weather
More ideal for Late Spring (May - June) and Summer

For more info on your Optimal Growing Schedule
Figure out your Cdn Plant Hardiness Zone, and go from there

https://open.canada.ca/en/apps/plant-ha ... nes-canada

Local Nurseries are an invaluable resource (NOT the Garden Centres at Lowe’s, Home Depot, Cdn Tire) ... but a true Nursery

Be aware though that it’s ALL ABOUT THE WEATHER... so can change year to year
do those types of greenhouse protect from animals... squirrel and chipmunk?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9952 posts
7236 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
raptors87 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 12:12 am
do those types of greenhouse protect from animals... squirrel and chipmunk?
Nope

Gotta go with something snug to the ground... with a wood or metal base, atop a gravel bed, or some sort of stonework.

Be it Big = https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/exte ... 48e5fcdf8c
Or small = https://greenhouses-uk.co.uk/elite-comp ... s-891.html

Or else something raised off the ground, and self enclosed

Big = http://terracecreations.com/small-green ... a-balcony/
Or small = http://www.globalgardenfriends.com/2013 ... d-windows/

And when it comes to side walls, thin plastic isn’t the best either... gotta go more rigid like glass, plexiglass etc
Otherwise the critters tear / chew right thru

The portable plastic greenhouses are better for indoors, or daytime use. Something you wheel out into the sunshine, then bring back indoors at night to protect from the weather & vermin.