Automotive

Want Cheaper Car Insurance in Ontario? - Look here to be heard!!!

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 3rd, 2009 5:18 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
3816 posts
168 upvotes
Kitchener, ON

Want Cheaper Car Insurance in Ontario? - Look here to be heard!!!

The Ontario Auto system needs to be changed for us to see cheaper rates. Everyone needs to know why were paying so much and it's due to Ontario having the richest Accident Benefits system in North America. No other Province or State has such enormous benefits, these need to be optional and those who want them can pay the extra premium. For the average person, we only need normal coverages.

Go to http://www.insuranceicanafford.ca/site/get-involved and enter your postal code. You'll then see two green boxes, click on each and send the pre-filled letter out to your MPP and the Ontario Finance Minister by filling in your email address and city.

We can make a difference and allow companies to make rates cheaper. Until this change happens, we'll keep paying the most expensive rates in North America.

Here's some great answers to common myths.

Myth
Ontario
64 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
12682 posts
933 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe I've got this wrong, but are you trying to get us to sign a lobby petition by the insurance companies to lower the amount they pay out in accident benefits under the pretense that it will lower our rates?
Banned
May 14, 2009
230 posts
Anonymouse wrote:
Jun 27th, 2009 7:19 pm
The insurance industry has historically made hundreds of millions to billions off of us depending on the particular year. They are parasites who should be replaced by a state-run system, which has proven to be cheaper for motorists.
+1

mods, please stick this thread to the top

grateful
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2120 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
Anonymouse wrote:
Jun 27th, 2009 7:19 pm
The insurance industry has historically made hundreds of millions to billions off of us depending on the particular year. They are parasites who should be replaced by a state-run system, which has proven to be cheaper for motorists.
+1. I've always maintained that as far as health care and rehabilitation goes, insurance companies should not be running the show. How can one put a price on a life when the party providing that protection is a for-profit organization who actually has to deny even legitimate claims in order to be profitable? And the alignment of interests is even more distorted when that company has shareholders that it has to answer to, complimented by shoddy corporate bureaucracy. If people believe they will see their insurance premium being rolled back as a result of this campaign, don't kid yourself!
Lior Hershkovitz
Broker at Mortgage Edge, specializes in construction financing and private lending
Construction rates start p+2.5%, 2nd mortgage start 5.99%, private financing start 7% max. 95% LTV
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
12682 posts
933 upvotes
Toronto
wallop wrote:
Jun 27th, 2009 7:25 pm
+1

mods, please stick this thread to the top

grateful
The petition in the OP is to put a cap on the amount insurance companies pay to injured people in accidents. It seems to be nothing but a poorly-masked sales pitch to reduce their liability and increase that of the people they're legally required to insure. They want the laws changed so they don't have to pay you properly for your medical expenses and can just take your money in peace.
Nov 8, 2004
655 posts
1 upvote
Fact:

If you become disabled as the result of an automobile accident, you may be eligible for weekly Income Replacement Benefits of up to $400.

$400/week max for income replacement. Do you really think that the accident benefits are too high??? This is just a lobby petition by the insurance companies to lower the amount they pay out in accident benefits.
Mar 26, 2007
383 posts
105 upvotes
Scarborough
Jackie Moon said .............SUCK ONE!!!!!!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
3816 posts
168 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Piro21 wrote:
Jun 27th, 2009 9:09 pm
They want the laws changed so they don't have to pay you properly for your medical expenses and can just take your money in peace.
Then don't complain about insurance being so expensive in Ontario. I don't want to hear one person complaining, because there is No Other Place in North America were you have included such extensive coverage as we have in Ontario and that's why were paying so much. Accident Benefit payouts are the biggest expense for an insurance company.

It's cheaper for someone to die in an accident then for them to survive.

So with people surviving more car accidents because of better cars, Insurance will keep going up in Ontario because we have the Best Coverage in North America for Injuries.

I want the choice to pay for it. I don't buy an extended warranty, rust proofing and such when I buy a new car, I can choose to do so.

If you want to keep paying for the best coverage in north america don't complain.

If you want to have good coverage, and middle of the line as everywhere other province and stat and pay lower premiums then complain as directed in the first post.

It's amusing to hear people complain about this. They want cheap rates but the best coverage. I guess you also want to drive a new BMW but pay the price of a Kia.

Make it optional, let those who want to pay extra do so, the rest of us can pay lower premiums and still have decent coverage like in other premiums.
Banned
Jul 3, 2008
607 posts
2 upvotes
Aurora, Ontario
This is BS! The petition is to cap insurance payouts! Can someone lock this thread?!?! The OP is misleading people!

If you want to have people sign a petition tell them what it is for!
Banned
Jul 3, 2008
607 posts
2 upvotes
Aurora, Ontario
sixer wrote:
Jun 27th, 2009 3:25 pm
Myth
Reducing med/rehab coverage to $25,000 will only result in greater revenue for auto insurance companies who are already awash in profits.

Fact
Ontario auto insurance is a money losing business.
In 2008 alone, Ontario auto insurers lost $400 million.
How about some proof of this.
Banned
Jul 3, 2008
607 posts
2 upvotes
Aurora, Ontario
Insurance...at a premium
CBC News Online | February 18, 2005

What a difference a couple of years makes. In 2003, consumers vented their anger as the premiums they paid to insure their homes and cars registered double-digit increases for the third year in a row. And that's if no claims had been made on their policies.

The anger peaked in Atlantic Canada, where Bernard Lord came dangerously close to losing the New Brunswick election over the issue. Consumers in that province had seen their rates soar by as much as 70 per cent over the previous year. Rates were going up across the country
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2005
4801 posts
517 upvotes
krozet wrote:
Jun 28th, 2009 12:31 am
So your trying to tell us that since 2005, a record year for insurance company profits they have fallen on hard time? I feel for them, I really do....
in their fairness -- insurance companies do need to make a profit ... a very very healthy one

or they won't be around when you need them

AIG for example
Jan 9, 2004
742 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
ssainani wrote:
Jun 28th, 2009 12:48 am
in their fairness -- insurance companies do need to make a profit ... a very very healthy one

or they won't be around when you need them

AIG for example
AIG did not fail because their insurance was not profitable.
44 75 6F 6E 67
Microsoft/Apple/VMware certified IT consultant serving the GTA. PM me for info/rates.
eBay
Heatware
Deal Guru
Jan 31, 2007
11625 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
sended both
[QUOTE]One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Treasure
[/QUOTE]

PSN: Aznkid2000
3000th post Dec 28 07 9:58pm