• Last Updated:
  • Apr 2nd, 2016 12:51 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2014
1191 posts
249 upvotes
tmkf_patryk wrote: 21mm lugs? M21's?? Holy crap those are like for a semi. What size of wrench or socket you need? 30 mm?
correction: M12-1.50 thread, 21mm wrench size/socket required
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2008
1375 posts
283 upvotes
Mississauga
u can use the wheel that u swapped out, and lay it under the subframe if u dont have a jack stand.......
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2007
1865 posts
1262 upvotes
GTA
Here is what I use:

- good quality 2.5 ton jack. (Costco)
- Torque wrench (Canadian Tire) to ensure you tighten the lug nuts just right.
- Deep socket set for Torque Wrench (Canadian Tire) - ensures proper clearance for your rims when using the torque wrench.
- Tire Iron that comes with the car - if you use the torque wrench properly, this is all you need to remove the nuts.
- 12volt air compressor (Walmart) to properly inflate tires each season
- Tire Pressure gauge (Canadian Tire) to ensure proper tire pressure when filling each season.

Optional
- Bristle brush to brush away dirt and rust from the brakes
- cordless leaf blower to blow away any dirt
- leather garden gloves
- Sidewalk chalk to mark tires for proper rotation next season.

Things I don't use:
- anti seize
- Breaker Bar - I feel if you are using a breaker bar you are putting your lug nuts on too tight and not using the torque wrench properly. Do you carry your breaker bar in your car at all times? What if you have a flat?
- Impact wrench - if you use this, that probably why you need a breaker bar
- Jack Stands - if you have a good quality jack, you don't need jack stands.

Don't forget to always put on the parking break when jacking up your car. Also loosen the lug nuts with the tire iron before jacking up the car.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6567 posts
4487 upvotes
Toronto
kasm wrote: Here is what I use:

- good quality 2.5 ton jack. (Costco)
- Torque wrench (Canadian Tire) to ensure you tighten the lug nuts just right.
- Deep socket set for Torque Wrench (Canadian Tire) - ensures proper clearance for your rims when using the torque wrench.
- Tire Iron that comes with the car - if you use the torque wrench properly, this is all you need to remove the nuts.
- 12volt air compressor (Walmart) to properly inflate tires each season
- Tire Pressure gauge (Canadian Tire) to ensure proper tire pressure when filling each season.

Optional
- Bristle brush to brush away dirt and rust from the brakes
- cordless leaf blower to blow away any dirt
- leather garden gloves
- Sidewalk chalk to mark tires for proper rotation next season.

Things I don't use:
- anti seize
- Breaker Bar - I feel if you are using a breaker bar you are putting your lug nuts on too tight and not using the torque wrench properly. Do you carry your breaker bar in your car at all times? What if you have a flat?
- Impact wrench - if you use this, that probably why you need a breaker bar
- Jack Stands - if you have a good quality jack, you don't need jack stands.

Don't forget to always put on the parking break when jacking up your car. Also loosen the lug nuts with the tire iron before jacking up the car.
All jacks can fail, and breaker bars go on sale pretty often for $10-15, I have one at home and one in the back of my car for changing tires and for times where I might need to break other "stuff". And I just buy a firm toothbrush from the Dollarstore to clean the studs and hub.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A

price error
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2049 posts
880 upvotes
Ontario
Anytime I jack up the car always use wheel chocks.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
4050 upvotes
Toronto
Oh, that time of year again, when everyone comes out to talk about the importance of jack stands and torque wrenches!!!.

Remember guys, without a torque wrench, your car will explode.

Without a jack stand, your car will fall and crush your brain. Even when the car is on the ground with 4 wheels on, just the though of a jack stand not being used puts you in great unsafety.

All seriousness aside, all you need for tire change
Jack + breaker bar

You can probably get a decent jack from CT for like $70 on sale. break bar should come with the car. I agree that the scissor jacks that come with the cars suck. At least a real jack you can lift the car in 10 seconds.

I've got a an electric impact gun. I can get all 5 lug nuts off in 10 seconds. Definitely worth while investment. also about $60. you still need the breaker bar though to do the last few turns. impact gun is to fast and will tighten the lugs way to tight.

use to take me an hour to change tires. with the impact wrench + jack I can do it in 30 minutes or less. That includes setup time and clean up time and finding all the crap I need from my over stuffed garage.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5962 posts
1066 upvotes
Calgary
theillest wrote: I don't know technique you use to pull a wheel on and off, but with mine I just can't see it being possible to be physically injured even if the car falls. The chances are so slim, I mean if that's what you worry about you might as well be living in a bubble because you are exposed to far more possible harm just on a regular daily basis. I would argue you are far more likely to be physically injured during the act of placing a stand underneath the car.

Like I said, soon as you pop the old wheel off slide it underneath if you're that worried.
Of course the chance is slim, no one here is saying cars falling down regularly here. but do you want to take that chance? How often do you want the car to fall down? I prefer zero chance over slim chance.
The jackpoint under my car is on the outter edge, so putting a jackstand under it is pretty quick and safe....a couple seconds at most.
Just changed the tires last night and checked the brake lining, to check the braking you do need to physically look at them.
Why don't you do a bit of research before assuming it is safe? Just because you are alive does not mean what you are doing it proper and safe.