• Oct 6th, 2011 11:32 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2011
8484 posts
317 upvotes

Want to learn Piano........

Do people normally learn on an actual piano or is a digital keyboard ok? Do most of them have headphones so you don't disturb others in the house? I have no idea about this stuff but really want to learn!
Share:
58 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
977 upvotes
N/A
buy a good keyboard.
it will never require tuning, and if you ever move, you can pick it up by yourself.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2011
8484 posts
317 upvotes
ippon wrote:
Sep 24th, 2011 10:41 am
buy a good keyboard.
it will never require tuning, and if you ever move, you can pick it up by yourself.

Thanks for the advice.

Do you have any suggestion as to what a good keyboard would be? Model example/price range? I am totally clueless when it comes to this stuff.
May 19, 2008
972 posts
You should really learn on a Piano, the keyboard is never the same. IF you must learn on a keyboard then buy one which has weights behind the key, this simulated the piano. Costco has some nice Yamaha keyboards.
Where are you located?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2011
8484 posts
317 upvotes
Agram wrote:
Sep 24th, 2011 11:24 am
You should really learn on a Piano, the keyboard is never the same. IF you must learn on a keyboard then buy one which has weights behind the key, this simulated the piano. Costco has some nice Yamaha keyboards.
Where are you located?

Hey Agram, I am in Toronto. I don't mind spending a couple hundred bucks for something good to learn on but don't want to blow a ton of cash.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2007
1860 posts
301 upvotes
Springfield
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2011
8484 posts
317 upvotes
hopsoid wrote:
Sep 24th, 2011 11:40 am
Costco

Thanks but I have no idea what I should be buying
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1036 posts
4 upvotes
Should browse around some shops and get a feel of the keyboard at the store. There's some keyboards that are hybrids between digital and old fashion with the headphone options. Maybe a Yamaha keyboard.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10039 posts
104 upvotes
RolandCouch wrote:
Sep 24th, 2011 10:24 am
Do people normally learn on an actual piano or is a digital keyboard ok? Do most of them have headphones so you don't disturb others in the house? I have no idea about this stuff but really want to learn!

For learning piano, you don't need a real piano. You will only notice a difference if you become extremely good and start to take on a preference for how different piano brands sound, and in that case even just any piano won't do because you'll want a Yamaha, a Steinway, etc. because they all have their own distinct sound when you develop an ear for it.

At the very minimum, get a keyboard with fully-weighted keys. The good ones aren't cheap, and you want a durable mechanism that will last. If you get a very good keyboard with fully-weighted keys, you can use it for advanced composition with a computer interface.

It's hard to go wrong with the Yamaha S90ES, for example -- top-notch synthesizer engine plus an excellent keyboard and one of the best piano sounds out there. The non-piano sounds are also excellent.

All keyboards will have headphone jacks because it's one of the main advantages over a real piano.

Most of the good keyboards don't have speakers built in. You will need to hook them up to self-amplifier speakers (or an amplifier+speakers).

If you like how pianos look and don't want wires going everywhere but want the advantages of digital, what you're looking for is a digital piano rather than just a "keyboard". This will give you real pedals built into a piano-like cabinet that produces sound, but with electronics doing all the work. They will almost always be fully-weighted and have some computer interface features, too...

You will regret it if you get a cheap keyboard.

Yamaha S90ES:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lki4WbXoL5E
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2008
1472 posts
138 upvotes
I seriously have to wonder... WHY?

Why would you want to learn how to play the Piano. No offense, but the pianos for nerds and fairies. Get a real past time like... Hanging out with friends and causing some trouble (especially if your a teen). I remember some of my best memories in HS were driving around with friends, wasting time, cat calling, running from the cops.

Stupid teenager stuff. Dont waste your time on useless garbage like playing the piano.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2006
7548 posts
387 upvotes
Scarborough
On an actual piano, the pressure YOU put on the keys is then translated into the amount of sound that comes out.
On cheaper keyboards, this isn't the case. On more expensive ones - Yahmaha are great - as mentioned above, the keys are weighted, and the pressure YOU use correlates to the sound output.
You'll want a decent keyboard, that you can connect with 1/4" connectors (this allows easy connection to D.I. boxes, and then into a sound system.)
Do some research, go to Long & McQuaid and see what they have. Go to other music stores, and see what they have... THEN got o Costco, and buy something from there.
No, I do NOT have any Z10's or Z30's left for sale. Stop PM'ing me!
BST Reference: Heatware | RFD
Wins: 2010 - Asus G73Sw-AY1 / 2012 - $50 BB Card in "RFD OT Reboot" / 2013 - MobilSyrup.com Samsung Galaxy note 8.0 LTE from Bell
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2006
7548 posts
387 upvotes
Scarborough
Maedhros wrote:
Sep 24th, 2011 3:06 pm

Why would you want to learn how to play the Piano. No offense, but the pianos for nerds and fairies. Get a real past time like... Hanging out with friends and causing some trouble (especially if your a teen). I remember some of my best memories in HS were driving around with friends, wasting time, cat calling, running from the cops.

Stupid teenager stuff. Dont waste your time on useless garbage like playing the piano.

Playing an instrument IS NOT for 'faeries' ... unless you want to call Edge a fairy... and if you do, I want to see you call him it to his face.
No, I do NOT have any Z10's or Z30's left for sale. Stop PM'ing me!
BST Reference: Heatware | RFD
Wins: 2010 - Asus G73Sw-AY1 / 2012 - $50 BB Card in "RFD OT Reboot" / 2013 - MobilSyrup.com Samsung Galaxy note 8.0 LTE from Bell
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2011
8484 posts
317 upvotes
Maedhros wrote:
Sep 24th, 2011 3:06 pm

LOL, I'll take the bait just for fun

1) I'm way beyond my teenage years
2) Learning Piano is something that I WILL enjoy and I'm really not concerned about what people may think :)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2011
8484 posts
317 upvotes
mbg wrote:
Sep 24th, 2011 2:30 pm
For learning piano, you don't need a real piano. You will only notice a difference if you become extremely good and start to take on a preference for how different piano brands sound, and in that case even just any piano won't do because you'll want a Yamaha, a Steinway, etc. because they all have their own distinct sound when you develop an ear for it.

At the very minimum, get a keyboard with fully-weighted keys. The good ones aren't cheap, and you want a durable mechanism that will last. If you get a very good keyboard with fully-weighted keys, you can use it for advanced composition with a computer interface.

It's hard to go wrong with the Yamaha S90ES, for example -- top-notch synthesizer engine plus an excellent keyboard and one of the best piano sounds out there. The non-piano sounds are also excellent.

All keyboards will have headphone jacks because it's one of the main advantages over a real piano.

Most of the good keyboards don't have speakers built in. You will need to hook them up to self-amplifier speakers (or an amplifier+speakers).

If you like how pianos look and don't want wires going everywhere but want the advantages of digital, what you're looking for is a digital piano rather than just a "keyboard". This will give you real pedals built into a piano-like cabinet that produces sound, but with electronics doing all the work. They will almost always be fully-weighted and have some computer interface features, too...

You will regret it if you get a cheap keyboard.

Yamaha S90ES:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lki4WbXoL5E

Looks like those go for between 1500 and 2K...which is out of my price range :S
× < >