Home & Garden

want to put laundry pair in the kitchen, advice and options?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2014 8:30 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
2133 posts
756 upvotes
Hamilton

want to put laundry pair in the kitchen, advice and options?

My wife wants to have the laundry on the main floor of our house. About the only place it would work would be in our kitchen which is a small galley style kitchen. So far the options I've seen are a stacked pair and some ventless units. We'd be looking at doing an extensive Reno, gutting the cupboards and replacing the counters so we could build a pantry/closet to put a stacked pair in a keep it looking good.

Any other options I could consider?
35 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7698 posts
794 upvotes
North York
Has OP considered getting those single unit combo washer+dryer?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combo_washer_dryer
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/42-cu-f ... 7hw/942370

This way, it will only take up one space and would be able to put a kitchen counter over it (?) and kitchen wall cabinet over the counter. (Wouldn't really know W/D was there.)

With a small kitchen (and galley style) ... I would consider this. I, wouldn't want to be staring at an ugly stacked dryer every #%@#$% day.

If this is a small galley ... the pantry style cupboard hiding the W/D would stick out a lot ... cannot push W/D that far back as there are hoses/vents in the rear.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
2133 posts
756 upvotes
Hamilton
The knock on combo units is that they take a long time to dry clothes. A neighbor had one when they were in the UK and said that you never really got stuff dry.

I do like the look though of these units, and we could easily put a counter top on it.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
13064 posts
3756 upvotes
Ive only heard bad things about combo washer/dryers that are ventless. Your clothes apparently don't dry or take forever.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
If you have a small galley kitchen the thing I would do is convince the wife that using the limited space you have for a washer/dryer is a supreme waste of space.
To install a washer in there you would have to install a drain pan to ensure no damage in case of overflow. You need to have a drain for the washer itself (you cannot drain it into your existing sink). You need to plumb water over to it. You need to bring in 220 volt power etc. It is not just as easy as saying you want it there.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
2133 posts
756 upvotes
Hamilton
I'm aware it won't be easy and I would need some plumbing done. As I have access from below its not impossible. The routing of a 220v circuit would be the hardest part. Its too bad I can't run a gas dryer as I have access to gas.

Worse case I could use the existing 220v connection from downstairs.

Its an injury issue so we'll need to move or do to this eventually.
Mar 25, 2012
254 posts
37 upvotes
Ottawa
If you're going to do it, I would suggest looking into having a floor drain for the kitchen, if the slope of the floor permits.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6826 posts
1482 upvotes
Manitoba
Sum_guy wrote: Any other options I could consider?
A new wife? :twisted:
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
2133 posts
756 upvotes
Hamilton
I would put in a drain underneath the washer. That wouldn't be hard as I could run it into the utility sink in the basement.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
2133 posts
756 upvotes
Hamilton
MUCH cheaper to build a new kitchen.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
4560 posts
918 upvotes
Toronto
Why would anyone want laundry in the kitchen?
Jan 11, 2008
646 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
Would the OP consider taking out a main floor closet or another part of a room to accommodate a stacked washer/dryer? Assuming there's no real room in the kitchen anyhow, this could eat up into the space of any new kitchen, especially if you need to think long term impacts of whoever has the injury (like walking aids, or needing to have counters a bit lower).

I've seen pictures of laundry machines in the kitchen, but they were from Europe. In terms of tastes, I'm not entirely sure if this would be a hit or miss with people if you sell your place in the near future.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
cessnabmw wrote: Why would anyone want laundry in the kitchen?
Did you not read op post #6 there is an injury.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
cessnabmw wrote: Why would anyone want laundry in the kitchen?
It sounds like a need not a want read post#6 there is an injury.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7698 posts
794 upvotes
North York
Could OP take over all of the laundry chores? Should result in more love from mate. :)
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1782 posts
1207 upvotes
Toronto
The majority of the world outside of North America has their laundry in the kitchen as there simply isn't the space to waste on a separate room for it. The thought of not having it there is relatively alien to most Europeans.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6826 posts
1482 upvotes
Manitoba
The Canterbury Tail wrote: The majority of the world outside of North America has their laundry in the kitchen as there simply isn't the space to waste on a separate room for it. The thought of not having it there is relatively alien to most Europeans.
Yeah but those Europeans dress funny and talk funny too so their opinions on where the washer/dryer should go shouldn't be relied upon. :)
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
The Canterbury Tail wrote: The majority of the world outside of North America has their laundry in the kitchen as there simply isn't the space to waste on a separate room for it. The thought of not having it there is relatively alien to most Europeans.
Primarily because the notion of even having a basement is foreign to most Europeans.
Or because most Europeans live in apartments (flats, multi-dwelling houses) or very very old houses may also be a reason for not having a laundry room?
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7698 posts
794 upvotes
North York
Just looking at those whom are buying on the upper end of our Canadian real estate ... People from around the world whom traditionally live in smaller homes are adjusting quite nicely in their oversized 3,000 - 5,000 sq. ft. Canadian homes. ;)

P.S. That sq. footage of course doesn't include the basement which would be another 50% on top.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2002
4274 posts
299 upvotes
Hamilton
My mother owned a combo washer/dryer and yeah it was slow. I would consider a stacked pair and conceal in a closet. Not sure the nature of the injury, or if your house has an upper floor, but why not put the laundry pair on 2nd floor near bedrooms? We're in process of moving laundry room to 2nd floor.