Computers & Electronics

Want to switch Internet from Rogers, any suggestions?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 30th, 2015 5:03 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
3200 posts
180 upvotes

Want to switch Internet from Rogers, any suggestions?

I live near the Kennedy and Finch area in Toronto, and looking to switch my Internet from Rogers to a different ISP. Any suggestions? I am leaning towards Teksaavy but I heard their service is going downhill. :arrowd:

I am currently paying $70 for 200GB bandwidth cap.
39 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21132 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
Stay away from Tehsavvy, way too expensive. You are better off staying with Rogers and getting a retention discount.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
Joshray wrote: I live near the Kennedy and Finch area in Toronto, and looking to switch my Internet from Rogers to a different ISP. Any suggestions? I am leaning towards Teksaavy but I heard their service is going downhill. :arrowd:

Rogers 100/10 and 250/20 unlimited packages are pretty decent compared to Third Party Internet Providers.
carmaster wrote: Stay away from Tehsavvy, way too expensive. You are better off staying with Rogers and getting a retention discount.
Sad but true ... current Teksavvy and other third party internet packages are not enticing / competitive.
Jun 12, 2010
695 posts
430 upvotes
Toronto/Santa Monica
Joshray wrote: I live near the Kennedy and Finch area in Toronto, and looking to switch my Internet from Rogers to a different ISP. Any suggestions? I am leaning towards Teksaavy but I heard their service is going downhill. :arrowd:

you can get a better deal from rogers for sure. I have 100/10 and I pay around $65 including tax. Not on a 3 month promotion or anything like that. Work a deal with retentions. Also unlimited usage
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
Depends what speed you want. M
If pricing is better I recommend teksavvy. But it depends on the package if they are financially a better option.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2012
2631 posts
767 upvotes
TORONTO
Check the Bell thread on RFD, you'll find some info there. There is a Rogers one as well. So compare the two and find what you like.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2004
4311 posts
443 upvotes
Thornhill / North Yo…
Rogers had something like 300GB 30d/1u for $45/mo at one point. I don't think they're still offering it, though.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2012
2631 posts
767 upvotes
TORONTO
ceraf wrote: Rogers had something like 300GB 30d/1u for $45/mo at one point. I don't think they're still offering it, though.
That was 3-4 years ago. Long gone.
Nov 25, 2013
102 posts
2 upvotes
carmaster wrote: Stay away from Tehsavvy, way too expensive. You are better off staying with Rogers and getting a retention discount.
This, I am paying $50 after tax for 100/10 unlimited. This promotion is finished I think but there is a new promotion for $60 for the same plan.
Dec 28, 2015
7 posts
Try vmedia. All plans are unlimited usage.
If you're adventurous you can save more by changing tv service too.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21132 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
Rogers new bundles with unlimited included is competitively priced. Even better with the retention deals.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
998 upvotes
Vaughan
carmaster wrote: Rogers new bundles with unlimited included is competitively priced. Even better with the retention deals.
Except like everything Rogers, it's limited. You have it for a year, then you start getting charged full price.

Sure, you can cancel at that point, but then you just have the hassle of talking to Rogers again for two hours on the phone.

Personally, been with Start.ca for over a year now - couldn't be happier with pricing or service. Never changes, always grandfathered in.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
carmaster wrote: Rogers new bundles with unlimited included is competitively priced. Even better with the retention deals.
If you are bundling maybe.. but for many people we don't have cable TV anymore or don't want to be tied into bundles like that, so if looking at costs you need to look at the actual price (not the 3 month price, as that will change, and who knows what they will do with retentions. Eventually probably the same as they've done with the cell phone retentions in that they might as well get rid of it).

TSI: 100/10 unlimited $82.95
Rogers 10/100 unlimited $84.99

TSI 30/5 400GB $57.65
Rogers 30/5 125GB$64.99

So really will vary as to where the best deal is depending on your packages and needs.

I don't see what speed OP has, but it looks like they are paying too much for sure. TSI 30/5 is a far better deal than Rogers, but in the higher speeds the difference isn't so much.

edit: That said, I'm one of many happy TSI customers. Service is good, but with any third party troubleshooting can sometimes be a little painful (vary rarely do you normally need to, and they have great online forums that people can post and employees and CEO will respond) Start.ca many people seem happy with as well. So of those two I would pick which has the better package/price for your needs.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21132 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
redgrandam wrote: If you are bundling maybe.. but for many people we don't have cable TV anymore or don't want to be tied into bundles like that, so if looking at costs you need to look at the actual price (not the 3 month price, as that will change, and who knows what they will do with retentions. Eventually probably the same as they've done with the cell phone retentions in that they might as well get rid of it).

TSI: 100/10 unlimited $82.95
Rogers 10/100 unlimited $84.99

TSI 30/5 400GB $57.65
Rogers 30/5 125GB$64.99

So really will vary as to where the best deal is depending on your packages and needs.

I don't see what speed OP has, but it looks like they are paying too much for sure. TSI 30/5 is a far better deal than Rogers, but in the higher speeds the difference isn't so much.
The 100/10 unlimited for $84.99 from Rogers is way better than the TSI. For an extra $2/month, Rogers is worth it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
carmaster wrote: The 100/10 unlimited for $84.99 from Rogers is way better than the TSI. For an extra $2/month, Rogers is worth it.
That's why I say it depends. If I was on that tier I'd probably be with Rogers as well. mainly because it includes the modem. But for other levels when it's almost $10 difference and 3 times the usage cap, It's a no brainer to go third party.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2010
1638 posts
517 upvotes
Alpha Centauri

Where were you when Rogers offered 8 years for a guaranteed rate of $45 and 300gb?
I am into my 3rd year and look forward to the monthly bill.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)