• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2018 9:51 pm
[OP]
Jan 26, 2014
65 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto

Warm kids winter jacket

I was wondering what would be a good very warm hooded winter jacket for a 5 year old. I am looking for a longer parka preferably windproof and waterproof and not too expensive as it will probably last a season or two.

Any good suggestions? I saw the lands end kids parka, but it seems pretty thin in real life.
12 replies
Mar 22, 2011
585 posts
115 upvotes
I just buy my kids coats from Osh Kosh/Carters. $90 for snow pants and parka Never had any complaints of my kids feeling cold in Toronto climates.
I've also bought a kids long down parka (Ecko, i think? Can't quite remember) from Costco for a good price too. But anything Costco, you'll need to buy it in the late summer, early Fall to get the size you need.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1249 posts
249 upvotes
Toronto
I bought my son the Warmest Jacket from The Gap. The material is windproof and waterproof. When it's on sale just before winter I normally pay around $68. I also try to buy some Gap giftcards for like 10% off before the fall. I have no idea if they still have any at this time but if you are just planning for next winter then keep an eye out for giftcards on sale in the hot deals section.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
May 31, 2017
113 posts
17 upvotes
MEC has awesome gear for kids .. I think the one we have is the Toaster Parka or Toasty Parka or something like that.
You might even be able to find them used - they're really well made so should be in decent shape even after a few seasons.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16472 posts
2135 upvotes
ghotie wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 10:54 pm
I was wondering what would be a good very warm hooded winter jacket for a 5 year old. I am looking for a longer parka preferably windproof and waterproof and not too expensive as it will probably last a season or two.
We get the Gap Kids Down Parkas.

You can sometimes find them on sale for a very good price.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2124 posts
141 upvotes
coolspot wrote:
Feb 7th, 2018 9:04 am
We get the Gap Kids Down Parkas.

You can sometimes find them on sale for a very good price.
+1, especially when they always have those additional 40, 50% sale, we pre buy bigger size all the time for our kids if the deal is great
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
23128 posts
9594 upvotes
Ottawa
Any brand rated for Canada's winter will do.
I suggest getting good boots, as it's a hit or miss by a large margin.
I've tried Sorel, Kamik and Northface and they all have their pros and cons.
Oct 15, 2008
142 posts
46 upvotes
Windsor
Columbia Titanium - yes they make them for kids. The one we got our 5YO has their Outgrow thing it in so you can get more size out of the same coat. With the "tin foil" insides and it being waterproof, its an amazing coat and it keeps him warm. It is a much better coat over their regular kids line (our younger kids have those and they are ok, but aren't as warm as the Titanium one) and for my money, worth the price difference.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1122 posts
148 upvotes
Markham, ON
Go to the thrift store with you kid. Great selection, great price. Most clothes are pretty new because kids like to sit in front of a computer all day or they grew out of their clothes too fast. Thrift store also get rejects and sample so some items ARE in fact new.

Once you learn the thrifting way, you would know the recurring promotions and coupon deals. Obviously, you have to be a loyal customer to learn the recurring deals.
[OP]
Jan 26, 2014
65 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll keep my out for the brands. The only thing about the thrift shops is that I need to visit often to find good stuff. I've got the boot situation figured out, best to get the bogs or bogs style boots at Winners. They do double duty as rain boots for spring/fall muddy season and they are easy to slip on and off. I did notice the Costco winter coats don't show up in winter or they are sold out by winter. It was just that my son's jacket zipper broke in the middle of winter and I needed a replacement and an upgrade.
Last edited by ghotie on Feb 12th, 2018 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2007
1103 posts
233 upvotes
Toronto
We usually get the show pants / snow jacket combos from Costco. Great Value, but they tend to put them out in the summer for the following winter.