• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2017 7:40 pm
[OP]
Sep 13, 2007
93 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto

Warm New Years Holiday

Looking for a place me and my gf can go for New year holiday that's affordable and warm for a few days to escape the winter cold.

Would also like to go somewhere that's considered safe as we travel newbies so places like mexico would worry us
22 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1099 posts
354 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
noobienoob wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 9:35 am
Looking for a place me and my gf can go for New year holiday that's affordable and warm for a few days to escape the winter cold.

Would also like to go somewhere that's considered safe as we travel newbies so places like mexico would worry us
New Years week is one of the busiest and most expensive times of the year to travel. Most bang for your buck would certainly be for a week.

Go visit the Trip Advisor forums regarding Mexico. Millions and millions of people travel there every year without incident (in fact it's the most visited "sun" destination among Canadians).

More importantly, what is your budget will determine where you can go? Even a place like Mexico certainly isn't cheap.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3339 posts
901 upvotes
Moncton
The crime rate in Jamaica is sky high, but it mostly affects urban areas and people involved in the cocaine drug trade. Being able to speak English everywhere is a huge advantage, especially for travel newbies. You get more bang for your buck in the non-inclusive hotels on the south end of Negril. If you find a flight deal to Kingston, head on up to Port Antonio.

You can travel the entire island by route taxi (a communal taxi that follows a specific route). If you take an intercity bus, just keep an eye out for pickpockets at the bus station in Kingston.

Cuba is by far the easiest place to visit, but it won’t be cheap during Canadian school holidays. Varadero can be cool that time of year, not ideal for a beach vacation.

Cancun is very safe. If you can’t find cheap hotel zone accommodation, stay downtown and commute to the beach on the 24 hour busses that mostly serve workers (about $1each way). Just research the public access points to the beaches as some of the hotels are like walls. You can get downtown from the airport with Ado Bus. Ado Bus can also get you to Chichenitza pyramids and back if you carefully follow their limited schedule. Downtown is also close to the ferry to Isla Mujeres ($7).

Hanging out in Havana could be an option. US based airlines are still servicing the city, but the US government is actively discouraging travel there. Keep in mind you will need a tourist card ($100), usually sold by the airline, a travel agency, or a Cuban embassy (Canadian airlines would include it in the price).
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
[OP]
Sep 13, 2007
93 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
thanks for the suggestion. after taking a look....i find it disturbing that a lot of crimes in mexico are getting deleted on TA. i know for a fact that someone's son got attacked and required stitches, this took place inside the resort itself. Mexico is off my list.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3616 posts
1058 upvotes
Toronto
Unfortunately "affordable" and "New Years" don't really go together well. Your cheapest options would probably be Cuba or Dominican, although my only experience ever in Dominican involved having a family member get robbed ;P The more 'affordable' the trip is, its often because wages and the standard of living are low and the wealth gap between you and a citizen there is even bigger, could lead to crime but absolutely not always. We've had many wonderful trips in Mexico ourselves but there are definitely some places I wouldn't go. Other options would be places in the States, Phoenix area, Florida.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
3675 posts
320 upvotes
Ottawa
IMO, cheapest and safest is Cuba. It's not really fair but locals are only allowed at the resorts and the beach in front of the resorts if they are working there and laws and enforcement is very strict (to the point of being human rights violations but that's not the point of this discussion) making it very safe for tourists.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28227 posts
4202 upvotes
Ottawa
noobienoob wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 11:07 pm
thanks for the suggestion. after taking a look....i find it disturbing that a lot of crimes in mexico are getting deleted on TA. i know for a fact that someone's son got attacked and required stitches, this took place inside the resort itself. Mexico is off my list.
How do you know that? If it is deleted, how do you know what it was?
Put it in perspective. Crime is everywhere. Crime against Canadians in Mexico (or Italy or Germany or Philippines) gets lots of press at home. Of the hundreds (thousands?) of resorts in Mexico, several have had issues but that surely does not make them all crime ridden and make Mexican vacations undesirable.
Having said that, Christmas and New Years is the most expensive time (Spring Break being the other) everywhere. Also this year unfortunately, there are many Caribbean resorts that are not fully operational because of all the hurricane damage.
Read Monctonman's reports and don't go to Cuba either for fear of sonic attack and mass hysteria.
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Jan 27, 2016
148 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Mexico will always have more issues of tourists getting into trouble vs places like Dom.Rep or Jamaica...simple numbers game, riviera maya gets millions more tourists than those places alone
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1099 posts
354 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
loopy1984 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:37 am
Mexico will always have more issues of tourists getting into trouble vs places like Dom.Rep or Jamaica...simple numbers game, riviera maya gets millions more tourists than those places alone
Exactly^^

(2016 numbers)
# of tourists (including cruise ship passengers)

Mexico- 35 million
Dominican Republic- 5.14 million
Jamaica- 7 million
Cuba- 3.1 million

Trust me things happen in the DR, Jamaica and Cuba (robbery, petty theft, accidents, drownings).
Jan 27, 2016
148 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Well there you go 35 mil vs 5.14 mil Dom Rep that's massive
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2098 posts
213 upvotes
Mississauga
michelb wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 9:02 am
IMO, cheapest and safest is Cuba. It's not really fair but locals are only allowed at the resorts and the beach in front of the resorts if they are working there and laws and enforcement is very strict (to the point of being human rights violations but that's not the point of this discussion) making it very safe for tourists.
Absolutely not true. Many many Cubans stay at the resorts. Usually for the weekend. All the beaches are public and Cubans do go there, why wouldnt they. Its still a very very safe place to visit and you will likely have more problems with drunk and disorderly tourists, because you know AI, than Cubans thats for sure. Staff at the resort will never never touch your items left on the beach or the pool. The tourists on the other hand............
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4063 posts
223 upvotes
noobienoob wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 9:26 pm
http://mexicovacationawareness.com/index.html

i will consider other alternatives
You're missing out. Even the US travel warning states it's for certain areas of Mexico. Not the whole thing. It's a BIG country.

I'd actually feel safer in Mexico than the US. They're not as gun happy. I'm sure the stats probably show it too.
I'm actually more freaked out about a trip to the US in Jan than I ever have been in Mexico. Mind you, I don't do the whole resort thing, but regardless of where you travel around the world, you HAVE to be aware of your surroundings.
I'm looking for a NZ Silver Fern Kiwi coin! :)
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1054 posts
174 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
the thing about Canadian being attacked or beaten up in Mexico is, that you don't get the whole story. Who says the Canadian didn't initiate something? Yesterday I heard about a Canadian that got thrown in jail in Mexico (Mayan Riviera somewhere) and will most likely be on the first plane out of the country. Why? He got stupid drunk and thrashed the hotel room at the resort he was staying at. I can only agree with the Mexican authorities here.

Anyway, have you considered Vegas or somewhere in the southern US, if you don't feel comfortable enough travelling to Mexico or the Caribbean? I can't guarantee it will be safer (shootings anyone?!), but at least they'll speak the same language.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1416 posts
754 upvotes
As a Travel Newbie with just a few days for a New Year's Getaway, and looking for Warm Weather on a Budget, I suggest that you guys head off to Florida.

It will meet all your requirements, including overall health & safety (USA is still a 1st world country).

Just make sure you do buy Travel Medical Insurance in advance.

Lots of flights out of Toronto to any number of Florida Cities. Anywhere in Florida is going to be warmer than here that time of year, but the warmest is going to be SOUTH of Tampa down the Gulf Coast, and SOUTH of Fort Pierce on the Atlantic Coast.

The further south you go, the warmer it gets (beachy get into the ocean kind of warm).