• Jan 12th, 2018 12:33 pm
[OP]
Nov 20, 2006
26 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto

Warmest Winter Jacket for Women

Hi RFDers,

I'm looking for a new winter jacket and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for specific ones. Preferably looking for one that is knee length and super warm. Budget is around $500. Was looking at Marmot but I went to check out a few and I find them fairly thin.

Thank you in advance.
16 replies
Feb 24, 2017
49 posts
15 upvotes
Eddie Bauer has some warm ones knee length.

They have 3 in ones also. I got it a little big so I could add more layers. Around $100 after off season discounts. I think regular price is not more than $300
[OP]
Nov 20, 2006
26 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
I was looking at Eddie Bauer as well but some saw comments about lack of insulation in the sleeves. Do you find you have this problem?
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11452 posts
1629 upvotes
City of Vancouver
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 1:28 pm
Check out Cabelas. Wife has the North Face Arctic Parka II and she likes it. It's actually on sale now for $100 off >> $299

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/99599/th ... CatId=2475
It's only 550 fill power. Does the wife wear more than a shirt under it?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
1185 posts
932 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 2:46 pm
Weight of down matters. A very thin 750 or higher fill power jacket will be less warm than a filled 550 fill power jacket.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4199 posts
860 upvotes
Alberta
Becks wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 2:46 pm
Sometimes but not all the time. But she says that it's too hot on some days. She has the black one.
Jan 4, 2010
219 posts
66 upvotes
Waterloo
Aritzia jackets are pretty durable. I have a 10 year old one that's been through HS and uni and there's no tear or damage. Zipper holds up. But I wish my was warmer. I was looking at North Face, I really like their material and design. My mom and brother have 3 north face jackets that they got on sale on boxing day. They are very warm and happy with them.
Feb 24, 2017
49 posts
15 upvotes
foreverj wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 2:11 pm
I was looking at Eddie Bauer as well but some saw comments about lack of insulation in the sleeves. Do you find you have this problem?
This is similar to what I got
http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/women ... ype=&size=

No issues for sleeve insulation on mine.

I got this specifically for the -20 C winters and it's been holding up well. I think it's at year 5 now.

Hmm now that I think about it. It could be looseness that makes it feel like less insulation? If the sleeves are too loose and air comes in the gaps.. It's cold! I usually wear a thick sweater under or a fleece vest under.
[OP]
Nov 20, 2006
26 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
tinbitz wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 4:56 pm
Aritzia jackets are pretty durable. I have a 10 year old one that's been through HS and uni and there's no tear or damage. Zipper holds up. But I wish my was warmer. I was looking at North Face, I really like their material and design. My mom and brother have 3 north face jackets that they got on sale on boxing day. They are very warm and happy with them.
I currently have the Bancroft which I've had for about 5 years. I feel like the shoulder area is a little cold. I did look at the links you posted and noticed that they've changed from duck down to goose down so I may go and check out the newer models. Thanks!
wadesj wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 10:51 pm
This is similar to what I got
http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/women ... ype=&size=

No issues for sleeve insulation on mine.

I got this specifically for the -20 C winters and it's been holding up well. I think it's at year 5 now.

Hmm now that I think about it. It could be looseness that makes it feel like less insulation? If the sleeves are too loose and air comes in the gaps.. It's cold! I usually wear a thick sweater under or a fleece vest under.
Great. Thanks so much for the input. I'll try to go to a store to check it out.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2008
4902 posts
905 upvotes
My fiancé had Aritzia in the past and they appear to be very warm, well made coats. She now has Soia Kyo which she finds very warm as well. They tend to go on sale a lot so you should be able to find one under 500 easy.

As another member said cmfr is a great deal at winners but I figure sold out by now?.
[OP]
Nov 20, 2006
26 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks everyone. I ended up buying the same Aritzia jacket that I currently have. I noticed that they had upgraded to goose down and upped their downfill since I bought my current jacket a few years ago. Thanks for all the input!