• Mar 24th, 2018 7:51 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11806 posts
1702 upvotes
City of Vancouver

Warning about black flocked velvet hangers

I bought a whole bunch of black flocked velvet hangers from Winners. These r the ones people r switching to because they save space, being thin, as well as are anti-slip. My fears about this product came true after I looked up the one star reviews on amazon.com about how the velvet comes off everywhere, colour comes off onto ur hands, and the hangers r easily broken. Products made in China really suck. Seriously.
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6159 posts
1338 upvotes
I just use the rounded plastic ones from Dollarama
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5107 posts
477 upvotes
I use the ones from Costco and I've never had the velvet nor colour come off. BUT I noticed that with the last box I bought some time last year, the hangers are breaking more easily.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3822 posts
5176 upvotes
Ontario
I thought that the flocked stuff would be like chenille sweaters-great to touch, look at but leaves fibres on EVERYTHING. I bought a set of ivory colour flocked hangers for a coat closet that is too small for the wide hangers (but they now reside in my bedroom closet). Family went ballistic at my notion of having one set of matched hangers for coats...then the hangers were too big to use. I'll take a tape measure the next time I buy hangers.

Probably best to save the dark hangers for the black or dark knitwear, denim and older items you don't care too much about.
Get lighter coloured velvet hangers for the light clothing or fine things. I personally use plastic hangers but they seem to come in about two or three styles only or the wooden hangers with those darn metal (sharp-cornered) clips.
Seeking shopping sprees or a pot of gold.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11806 posts
1702 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Previously, I noticed some jewelry boxes at Winners were lined with flocked black velvet. When I ran my fingernail over the surface, bits of velvet came off onto my nail. I gotta wonder if flocked velvet wallpaper has this same issue!
De gustibus non est disputandum
"Crazy people will make even sane people crazy."-- Becks
"Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself."-- Confucius
Nov 16, 2013
147 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
My Costco and dollarama ones don't shed velvet but they break easily
Jun 4, 2013
16 posts
6 upvotes
Vancouver
I just use regular hangers form Superstore. Cheap enough and good enough for me.
Apr 10, 2011
399 posts
179 upvotes
You should try returning them to Winners for a refund. I have the ones from Dollarama and have never had any issues with them.
Feb 3, 2015
970 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
amz155 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 3:36 pm
I use the ones from Costco and I've never had the velvet nor colour come off. BUT I noticed that with the last box I bought some time last year, the hangers are breaking more easily.
Yea definitely, I noticed the same thing.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
3179 posts
2102 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 2:49 pm
Products made in China really suck. Seriously.
100% agree, iPhone is seriously garbage.