Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2004
1961 posts
135 upvotes

Warning about calls from "Telus" (212) 121-2121

I got a call the other day from a person claiming to be from "Telus" (but in the NYC area code??? I knew it was a scam and hung up on him as soon as I heard "Telus"). I had a similar call in April but from a different number (supposedly in Calgary). That caller was very aggressive and rude. I contacted Telus and they were not aware of any calling campaigns and I was removed from any future calling campaigns (which made this call even more suspicious).

I contacted them again about someone impostering to be from Telus and harassing their clients.

I have Googled that number and the previous one and it appears that it's some scam and they have even claimed to be Rogers and Fido representatives.

I sent Telus another email about the harassing call and they said they are aware and investigating. The aggressive callers have been trying to get SIN numbers and information from other callers.

Beware!
17 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2004
2512 posts
65 upvotes
Coquitlam
Thanks for the heads up.

It should be pretty common knowledge that you will never be solicited for your SIN number. If you aware......HUGE red flag.

Now if you solicite them for your business you may be asked for it (IE credit card applications etc)

So yes it's good to be aware of scams. If you didn't ask for anything and they want you SIN, hang up.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
2614 posts
428 upvotes
thanks for the heads up...

i've also see this number pop up on my home line
1-123-456-7890

and it's always someone who can't speak proper english... with a really think accent
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2005
3743 posts
25 upvotes
CrazyJo82 wrote:
Jun 10th, 2008 10:13 pm

1-123-456-7890

and it's always someone who can't speak proper english... with a really think accent
To me that number shows up when someone using a calling card tries to reach me.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
2614 posts
428 upvotes
someone's always trying to sell something... i just dont answer anymore... or there's no one on the line
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
8984 posts
238 upvotes
that's a nice number though :-P
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7041 posts
673 upvotes
GTA
kud0s69 wrote:
Jun 10th, 2008 6:53 pm
It should be pretty common knowledge that you will never be solicited for your SIN number. If you aware......HUGE red flag.

Now if you solicite them for your business you may be asked for it (IE credit card applications etc)
Good advice. Also keep in mind even if you are applying for a credit card or cell phone, still NEVER give them your SIN number. It is optional and although not illegal to ask, you don't have to provide it and can't be denied service. You should only ever give your SIN number out for legislated purposes which are very minimal (e.g. employment or if you have an interest bearing bank account are a few).
CrazyJo82 wrote:

1-123-456-7890

This number can come up with some VOIP services and telemarketers also tend to like it since they think they're anonymous. For me, if I see that number I just don't answer.
Mar 22, 2003
968 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
I got a call today from the number 212-840-1042 claiming to be TELUS at 5:15; they were trying to offer me a discount on my plan. They ask how much I spend a month; I told them they should have that information. The guy claim that they were not provided that information, that
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
2614 posts
428 upvotes
lol, derfel... you're like this evil genius, aren't you? i think i might try that...
Banned
Jan 3, 2006
1888 posts
5 upvotes
^^^^ you'll get cancer if you stay 16 minutes on a cell phone... :twisted:
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
2808 posts
23 upvotes
wow nice ass number... :)

however I've been getting some real strange number lately as well

sucks
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2007
2734 posts
141 upvotes
CrazyJo82 wrote:

1-123-456-7890

If you see this, or the OPs #, don't answer the phone. It's a masking system they use to confuse the caller ID. The call center could be anywhere around the world.

Just remember... If a legit company wants to contact you, they will ALWAYS provide a number for you to call them back at. Just tell them you'll call them back, and ask for a #. Google the real #, and you can often discover who is really calling you.
× < >