Food & Drink

WARNING about Imperial Buffet at 3120 Dixie Rd in Mississauga. Spider found in food

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 8th, 2018 10:37 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 11, 2012
23 posts
21 upvotes
Markham
tido88 wrote: Thanks for the information, sounds like poor quality place to eat, will not be going there. Don't take this the wrong way but that cooked spider is probably better for you pregnant wife than toxic McDonalds.
I completely agree with your comment about McDonalds but that's what she wanted at the time and I couldn't convince her otherwise. We've been eating in ever since, we both agree that it's much safer and a lot healthier. I just gotta learn how to cook some Asian meals before her next Chinese food craving kicks in.
Apr 11, 2012
23 posts
21 upvotes
Markham
tido88 wrote: This would probably be the best way to get some justice, great idea.
I reported it on Saturday and I just got a response from the following reply.

Thank you for contacting us about this concern. We will refer your complaint to the Public Health Inspector, who will conduct an inspection of the restaurant.
The Health Inspector will contact you back to examine the photographs that you have taken of the insect. You can also send the photos of the spider to us and we will forward them to the Inspector.

If you wish for the Health Inspector to call you back you may email us your daytime phone number. If you have any questions, please call Peel Health at 905-799-7700.

Thank you,
Environmental Health Contact Centre
Public Health Inspector
Aug 17, 2006
572 posts
693 upvotes
Toronto
MrMimizu wrote: lol, love these first world problems.
You see a bug in your food, then you don't eat it.
Why call waiter over when you can just go get something else? Not sure how the pregnant wife makes the story any different. It's not
like you found thalidomide or something that can actually harm your unborn child in the noodles. A mouse or rat dropping, there would be hell to pay but spider? Not a big deal.
FYI, my wife is 5 months pregnant and she'd just put it aside and go get something else. If it was a non-buffet resto we'd ask for a replacement."
Wow... clearly this thread is filled with people have very poor eating standards!!

Yes... this is a first world problem... but don't minimize it by calling it a first world problem. RFD was created and maintained based on first world problems (the problem of overpricing). If you're so sensitive to the problems of the third world, maybe you shouldn't be spending so much time on RFD and instead volunteering in Uganda.

No one wants an insect in their meal. It's irrelevant whether the bug is inherently safe, edible, or even healthy... it is an indicator of general hygiene. If a bug could get in, why not something else (spit, vomit, semen, nail).

OP, I'm sorry you had to go through with not only finding the spider, but the unfortunate way you were treated. I agree with the others in that nothing will probably come of this, but hopefully it helped you vent about the situation and maybe you've convinced a few people not to go here. I'm actually surprised, however, at the reactions of some of the posters.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
Most of the time when people report to health inspectors like this, they come up with nothing. Usually the reports are more in spite of poor service rather than the food incident itself such as this case. If the restaurant bribed the partrons better, they wouldn't have tattled.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1013 upvotes
N/A
tweep0 wrote: Wow... clearly this thread is filled with people have very poor eating standards!!

Yes... this is a first world problem... but don't minimize it by calling it a first world problem. RFD was created and maintained based on first world problems (the problem of overpricing). If you're so sensitive to the problems of the third world, maybe you shouldn't be spending so much time on RFD and instead volunteering in Uganda.

No one wants an insect in their meal. It's irrelevant whether the bug is inherently safe, edible, or even healthy... it is an indicator of general hygiene. If a bug could get in, why not something else (spit, vomit, semen, nail).

OP, I'm sorry you had to go through with not only finding the spider, but the unfortunate way you were treated. I agree with the others in that nothing will probably come of this, but hopefully it helped you vent about the situation and maybe you've convinced a few people not to go here. I'm actually surprised, however, at the reactions of some of the posters.
problem of overpricing is exclusive to first world?
since when?
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Aug 17, 2006
572 posts
693 upvotes
Toronto
ippon wrote: problem of overpricing is exclusive to first world?
since when?
Another intelligent post! Context... read the context. Overpricing is clearly not limited to the first world nor did I say that. But posting on a website dedicated to finding deals is a first world problem.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11320 posts
3870 upvotes
Nowhere
I want to congratulate the OP for paying the full bill. I don't think I would have. As I was reading his story, my initial thought was that if I was treated that way and kicked out of the restaurant without finishing my meal, I would have just walked out without paying. In reality, I probably would have just thrown some money at them to cover what I ate but I wouldn't have paid the full bill.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
726 upvotes
MrMimizu wrote: LOL. Calling people sad and cowards because they aren't queasy about bugs sure gives you the moral high ground.

When about 80% of the world's nations include insects in their diet, this is a first world problem. Even the USFDA and Health Canada have limits on how much insect can be in our packaged food. That maximum is NOT zero. Are you now going to complain to every company whose packaged food you find a bug in? Good luck.

When you are cooking at home and a bug lands in your food or you find a hair, do you throw the whole dish out and go yell at your spouse for having it in your food?

The problem I have is the management's response to OP and I already said what I can imagine myself doing in the same situation. That said, I wouldn't have had to get that far as I my expectations from Imperial Buffet are lower than what I expect at my favourite restaurant, Scaramouche. If this did happen at Scaramouche, I'd have definitely called the waiter over and asked for another dish.
You can say that you expect the same quality from all restaurants, regardless of price, but that's just naive. Reality is nowhere near your ideal world.

Buddy of mine found a dead roach at the bottom of his chicken noodle soup. After throwing up, he brought it to the attention of the fast food joint on The Path. Their response: "You want another bowl at no charge?" He reported it to Toronto Health. In the end, nothing happened. If there was an inspection, it wasn't forwarded to my buddy and the place never got shut down or a downgrade in their rating.

I dont care about the other 80% of the world. He's in canada eating in a canadian establishment. How is it even relevant that your best buddies and family likes to eat bugs. Who cares. You got low standards good for you.

As to Toronto health inspection services - that remains to be seens if anything will be done.

Im more concerned about what else goes on in the kitchen, as are several folks on here.
Apr 11, 2012
23 posts
21 upvotes
Markham
Cheap Cat wrote: I want to congratulate the OP for paying the full bill. I don't think I would have. As I was reading his story, my initial thought was that if I was treated that way and kicked out of the restaurant without finishing my meal, I would have just walked out without paying. In reality, I probably would have just thrown some money at them to cover what I ate but I wouldn't have paid the full bill.
Well, to be fair, she did give me a $4.00 discount for my child. I guess she thought that would be enough.

Is it wrong that I emailed info@imperialbuffet.com this thread?

I used my debit card to pay, do you think they can do anything to me? I was told restaurants like Imperial and Mandarin buffet have some connections to organized crime and prostitution
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9598 posts
2225 upvotes
Somewhere
basimreloaded wrote: I was told restaurants like Imperial and Mandarin buffet have some connections to organized crime and prostitution
Everything has a connection to organized crime and prostitution.
:confused:
Apr 11, 2012
23 posts
21 upvotes
Markham
UPDATE from The Peel Health Inspector.

She called me today and said that she has just finished her inspection of the Imperial Buffet at 3120 Dixie Rd in Mississauga. Below is a summary of her findings:

-The shanghai noodles where we found the spider is always stored safely in the fridge and sealed. Nothing can get in or out.

-She checked the past three invoices for pests and rodents and their records are clean.

-She said that Imperial takes it upon themselves to hire an independent pest control company come once a month in order to ensure there are no pests or rodants. According to her, this is above and beyond other restaurants do.

-She did not observe any pest, bugs or rodents during today's visit.

-Because this is a stand-alone-restaurant, it makes it less likely that rodents or pests can get in.

-She asked Imperial management what else it could have been if not a spider and they responded by saying it maybe some of the bristles from the metal scrubber they use to clean the wok.

-Her conclusion was that unfortunately this may have been a "one off" incident but that she can't find any reason to suspect the kitchen has pests or rodents and because it's a buffet with many people, there can be any number of reasons for what we found
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2007
1156 posts
656 upvotes
Toronto, ON
basimreloaded wrote: UPDATE from The Peel Health Inspector.

She called me today and said that she has just finished her inspection of the Imperial Buffet at 3120 Dixie Rd in Mississauga. Below is a summary of her findings:

-The shanghai noodles where we found the spider is always stored safely in the fridge and sealed. Nothing can get in or out.

-She checked the past three invoices for pests and rodents and their records are clean.

-She said that Imperial takes it upon themselves to hire an independent pest control company come once a month in order to ensure there are no pests or rodants. According to her, this is above and beyond other restaurants do.

-She did not observe any pest, bugs or rodents during today's visit.

-Because this is a stand-alone-restaurant, it makes it less likely that rodents or pests can get in.

-She asked Imperial management what else it could have been if not a spider and they responded by saying it maybe some of the bristles from the metal scrubber they use to clean the wok.

-Her conclusion was that unfortunately this may have been a "one off" incident but that she can't find any reason to suspect the kitchen has pests or rodents and because it's a buffet with many people, there can be any number of reasons for what we found
That's a really reasonable response actually...
Apr 11, 2012
23 posts
21 upvotes
Markham
maytricks wrote: That's a really reasonable response actually...
I'm happy with the quick response of the Peel Health Inspector but of course Imperial was on their best behavior and they probably run drills in case an inspector comes to visit.

At the very least, I'm sure the Imperial was surprised and maybe even a little worried. I'm sure they'll handle the situation better when someone finds a bug in their food. Maybe this will scare them into being a little cleaner when preparing food.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2740 posts
318 upvotes
basimreloaded wrote: I'm happy with the quick response of the Peel Health Inspector but of course Imperial was on their best behavior and they probably run drills in case an inspector comes to visit.

At the very least, I'm sure the Imperial was surprised and maybe even a little worried. I'm sure they'll handle the situation better when someone finds a bug in their food. Maybe this will scare them into being a little cleaner when preparing food.
One of the alternatives of what it could've been is a very overcooked green onion bits. They sometimes split apart and get infused into other foods if they were using the same pot/wok/pan. It could end up looking like that. You're right though, it does look a lot like a spider lol.
BlackJays wrote: shame has been acheived
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
I looked at the photo and it looked like a spider.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
basimreloaded wrote: I'm happy with the quick response of the Peel Health Inspector but of course Imperial was on their best behavior and they probably run drills in case an inspector comes to visit.

Doubt it. It looks as if they already have a decent process in place. Just because one person complains they are not about to panic. For any quality program it is not about being perfect, rather it is about minimizing the likelyhood of issues.

Many restaurants just don't care. My sister was an inspector for years. They are not feared...just seen as a PITA. If she saw eggs that had not be stored properly, she would actually have to smash them as many resautrants would just pull them out of the trash.
Aug 13, 2011
770 posts
371 upvotes
Scarborough southwes…
basimreloaded wrote: UPDATE from The Peel Health Inspector.

I used my debit card to pay, do you think they can do anything to me? I was told restaurants like Imperial and Mandarin buffet have some connections to organized crime and prostitution
It's as many of us expected. A single incident is not a sign of poor hygiene. It's unfortunate that there is no one to report bad service to since that was really your main beef with them.
It's too bad since my low standard, bug eating friends and family can't go there with the expectation of some extra protein.
As to them providing better service. I highly doubt it. That kind of poor service won't get better unless they ditch manager "A".

What you hear about organized crime and what happens are two different things.
If you think they skimmed your debit card and pin, go change it immediately.
If you think they will be showing up to bust a cap, you can relax.
Mar 2, 2013
9 posts
1 upvote
You and your wife made this big fuss and according to the health inspector, you were WRONG! And even if it was a bug, so what, are you better than the third world who eat bugs, pests, rodants all the time? Food is food.
SamEazyE

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)