• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2013 5:05 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5034 posts
1274 upvotes

Warning about switching to Bell tv "FIBE"

Hi, for those concerned, I'd like to share the following:

I had recently purchased, and activated, the Bell Fibe 7 internet package with the 4-months promo package from Dell.
I intended to add the Bell Tv Fibe plan on top of it, since the Fibe 7 internet plan is mandatory to get Bell Fibe Tv.

Well, I called Fibe TV to add the TV plan, and just to be safe (thank goodness I did) I asked if it would change anything to the 4 prepaid months I had (after all, they're 4 "free" months but I did PAY fr that Dell pack). Well, I was stunned by the answer : NO! You will LOSE it and we will NOT even consider anything close to honouring the offer. Your Bell "Internet" will be CANCELLED and replaced by Bell TV, although it's the exact same plan (Fibe 7) offered by BELL.
Apparently, Bell TV doesn't "speak" to Bell Internet, and vice-versa. Although, as I said, clearly they do speak to each other because they both use the fiber optic lines and offer the exact same PLAN. Actually, on the Bell Fibe Tv website, there's no mention of the internet plans, just the TV plans. So, one would think if they're already subscribed to the proper internet plan, they're good to go.

Well, it isn't so.

Man, they don't want my 65$ per month. Their ONLY viable alternative? Wait 4 months before you subscribe to Bell TV!!!!
Or, just FORGET your 4 months that you paid for (at rebate, yes, but still...) and pay full price for these 4 months of Internet (Fibe 7 is 44,95 or 34,95 after bundle discounts, so 140$ over 4 months).

They're rather send out technicians TWICE, lose 4 months of 65$ a month on TV plan, than SIMPLY grant me the 4 months of internet, which I'll be GLAD to pay for starting on the 5th month.

I've never had that much DIFFICULTY to BECOME a customer somewhere. That's a big fail. If they weren't so much cheaper than Videotron, I'd simply forget about them altogether.

I know Bell rants are common for existing customers, but... man, even treating a NEW customer like that? They STILL have a LONG LONG ways to go to regain any type of acknowledgment for improving their customer service.
29 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2004
1317 posts
15 upvotes
Just a question. . .

When you agreed to switch to fiber optic "fibe" service- did the original Bell technician cut holes in your dry wall, remove the old standard wire and replace it with fiberoptic line?

I didn't think so. . .

Don't believe the hype.
Why is nobody on RFD accountable for their actions???
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5034 posts
1274 upvotes
No, I know he won't. It's scheduled for installation tomorrow.
I ripped all the wires away though so he won't have a choice but to put new ones. But they will clearly not be fiber optic, I'm not dumb.
But since it's Fibe 25, they won't have a choice but to put the modem for it. That's why I find them ill-adviced to give me such a hard time about adding TV on it.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
2722 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
Gloaming wrote:
Jan 9th, 2011 11:53 am
Just a question. . .

When you agreed to switch to fiber optic "fibe" service- did the original Bell technician cut holes in your dry wall, remove the old standard wire and replace it with fiberoptic line?

I didn't think so. . .

Don't believe the hype.
Fibe isn't advertised as fiber to the house. its' advertised as fiber to the CO.
Witty Comment
"I love to go to the schoolyard and watch the children jump and scream, but they don't know I'm using blanks." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5034 posts
1274 upvotes
Chrispy wrote:
Jan 10th, 2011 5:23 pm
Fibe isn't advertised as fiber to the house. its' advertised as fiber to the CO.

That's correct, and they were very clear about that on the phone, mentioned it a number of times. Of course, I already knew about that but I was impressed they were stressing it that much. I don't care as long as they replace my very old wiring and I get my 25/7mps DL/UL.

Of course, I became much less impressed after what i described in my first post. We'll see how it goes as far as internet installation/stability/gaming wise etc... perhaps it'll turn out n my favour.
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
16215 posts
256 upvotes
Wait, they should give you 4 months free? Am i missing something here? In what way should you get anything?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5034 posts
1274 upvotes
Super strokey wrote:
Jan 11th, 2011 11:54 am
Wait, they should give you 4 months free? Am i missing something here? In what way should you get anything?

Can you read? I PAID for this Dell package which entitles me to 4 months of internet service from BELL CANADA. But now they're telling me internet from Fibe TV isn't the same internet service as Bell Internet, and they'll cancel the account, and start a new one. I just started this plan, so I'm in the first month of the first 4 months. They said "too bad, you're going to lose those remaining months".

So, when you ask "in what way should you get anything?" well, in the way that I PAID for a package that included 4 months of internet service. I shouldn't be denied the service simply because I'm ADDING a TV service on top (I wanna give them MORE bu$iness, an extra 101$ a month to be exact) of my current internet plan.

They even acknowledged that if I wanted Bell TV Satellite, that would be fine, I'd keep my promo. But because I want Fibe, it's a no go. Doesn't make any sense from a billing stand point. Technically, I understand they may have to install a different modem etc for the IP TV service, but billing-wise, the internet PACKAGE remains the same and I should not be denied the service that I already PAID for.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5034 posts
1274 upvotes
Well, the Bell tech showed up last night, to install my Fibe 25 internet plan, or so I thought.

The work order he had wasn't for Fibe 25. He called in, and the agent confirmed my file was for Fibe 25.
He didn't have the modem/equipment to install this package. So he figured he'd install the regular 2Wire modem and get me going, and another tech would come by later this week to connect the fiber optic.

Well, in the end after over an hour the modem wouldn't work, and I figured we'd just forget about it and I'd wait for the other tech to show up. Turns out they won't show until Friday evening.

They're really something...

We're such in a bad spot here in MTL, we have 2 choices (both of which suck) : Vidéotron or Bell. It's pretty painful. If it was only for me, I'd have a VHF/UHF OTA antenna on the roof, and be done with paid TV, and just keep some form internet service. Of course, my wife would kill me if we didn't have HBO, for her beloved Dexter and such :rolleyes:
OK, RDS and TSN are nice to have for hockey sometimes... but I could live without them to save all the aggravation from Bell/Videotron.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1152 posts
116 upvotes
I had the same problem so I contacted the Head office, faxed them the copy of the Dell promo and they gave me a 4 month credit on the bill.. so basically credited my bill approx ~$200ish to cover the cost for 4 months of internet.. try faxing the copy of the letter
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5034 posts
1274 upvotes
Thanks for the hint. I tried to email the office of the general manager Yesterday, I'll see what happens.

I'm really frustrated with them. Leaving the Bell TV situation aside, even the internet install has been a real nightmare.
Original appointment for Monday Jan 10 cancelled due to the fact I wanted Fibe 25, re-scheduled for Tuesday the 11th.

They still showed up on the 10th, and I wasn't there obviously since I had been told it was moved to the next day.
On the 11th, they showed up and the technician didn't have the right equipment to install Fibe 25, he could only do Fibe 16 but even that didn't work, the red light kept coming on on the modem and I eventually told him to stop trying since it wasn't even what I had ordered anyway. Re-schedule for Friday, the 14th with the right technician/equipment.

On the 14th, waited all evening, no one showed up or even bothered to call me to explain their absence.

Called back on the 15th, answer : it's Saturday, all the departments are closed it'll have to wait on Monday. We'll call you back Monday to tell you what's going on.

Waited all day Monday, nobody called.

I called back Tuesday, Jan 18, and asked to speak to a supervisor. They transfer me to a BILLING supervisor, who clearly was clueless about installations etc. But she wouldn't bother to find me someone who knew what they were doing (it seems no one knows what they're doing there anyway). Her solution: make me pay 79$ for a "express" install, on Wednesday night. With a promise she would credit the 79$ on my account.

Wednesday, 5pm, the technician calls me, says he won't show up because my "SLAM" isn't the correct one outdoors, and he can only go up to Fibe 16, not 25. Basically the exact same answer as Tuesday the 11th.

Thursday, spoke to the same supervisor because I had insisted she calls me back the day after to install to follow-up, she offered absolutely no help.

I sent a email to the attention of the office of the general manager later Thursday, but I'm not holding my breath.

At this point, I don't think I can expect anything from them. Basically on one end, the technician washes his hands (as he should if he's not provided the proper equipment for the install) and Customer service as no clue what's going on (left hand doesn't speak to right hand).

I basically paid for this 4 months bundle (only 10$, but still...) and don't think I'll ever get the promised service. And we haven't even touched the TV subject yet!!!!

BTW awais, remember the phone/fax # and dept name?
Mar 4, 2007
329 posts
32 upvotes
Anything from Bell should never been advertised as a good deal.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
5805 posts
514 upvotes
Greely
What do you expect? It's Bell. Land of the lost customer service.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2005
1925 posts
83 upvotes
I am surprised as the among of hassle for everyone to get this deal. I had the Bell Performance Plan for 4 months now. It is ending on 6 Feb. 2011. I called 15 days ago to cancel because of the 30 day cancellation policy. I am not going with Bell because they throttle me down to about 10kbps between 8pm-10pm every night. Yes, just a measly 10kbps. My home VOIP phone just chokes and I can't use my home phone anymore.

Other than the above problem, I had no problems with Bell. The technician came the day he promised. He was scheduled for 8am-12noon. He showed up at 11:55am. So he is legit. He took 2 hours to get everything including getting his lunch. He broke off for lunch as he was waiting for the activation for HQ and he was just starving. He did come back at 2pm. But my internet was already running fine at that time.

It just took a bit of time for the internet to be active after going into the modem's webpage and going through the registration.

Yes, there was talk about "DSLAMS" and stuff like that while he was activating my line with HQ. Overall it was a decent experience. I had many frustrations with the THROTTLING but that is a separate topic. The installation was fine. $9.99 + 13% was a dream come true for internet service these days.

I did pay Bell another $5/month to get another 40GB. So I had 65GB/month. That was more than what I need per month. I normally use about 40GB per month.
Rogers Wireless: 200 day min.|100 bonus min.|Unl. incoming|2500 TXT|Call Display|Voicemail|Call Manager|Call Forwarding|My5 Local|6GB data|100 LD Canada|GRRF = $17.50+$7+$10+$10+$10+$30+$5+$2.58+tax-$32credits-10%bundle disc.=$62.06 tax incl.
Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=37224
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5034 posts
1274 upvotes
No development since last Thursday, haven't heard from them at all. My email to the Office of the general director probably went missing somewhere by the way things have been going.

Anyway, today I got a nice marketing letter in the mail, GOOD NEWS Bell Fibe is now available in your neighbourhood, enjoy the newest fiber optic technology and blah blah blah. Be one of the first to enjoy this cutting edge service.

Man, I don't know whether to laugh it off or feel insulted. Obviously the letter was adressed to my home, but not my name, it was just a marketing letter sent to the whole neighbourhood, but they've failed to give ME the service for the past 2+ weeks now. Since they now seem to promote the service in the neighbourhood, I hope they're ready to have a lot of dissapointed/angry customers in the area...

As a shareholder, I should start getting worried. Results have been strong since the Teachers takeoever fiasco but, I simply don't understand how they can sustain it long term.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5034 posts
1274 upvotes
Here we are, another week past. They promised to show up at 6pm last night, and much like Friday the 14th, they simply never showed up/called. Nothing, nada.

I just don't know what to do anymore. I have the supervisor's name and rep # but, I mean, clearly he, too, doesn't know what he's doing. Sure, he should be held accountable for his actions, but clearly speaking with him won't yield me any tangible results. He already promsed a "corporate gesture" (his words) once the service is installed/in function, but obviously it doesn't appear like that will happen any time soon.
× < >