Shopping Discussion

warning: be careful buying drives from Bureau en Gros - Ste-Dorothee Mega Centre

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2012 4:36 am
Oct 8, 2012
1 posts
MONTRÉAL

warning: be careful buying drives from Bureau en Gros - Ste-Dorothee Mega Centre

I went to Bureau en Gros (Staples Canada) Ste-Dorothee (Laval, Que) Mega Centre, to get the flyer special ($5 for 8GB Core Micro USB flash drive). When I asked the staff for one, he handed me off to another guy who handed me a drive from an off-floor area. When I asked about more, he pointed me to an on floor display, which was not where he had gotten the first drive. All the drives were encased in the antitheft alarmed boxes, so no person in the store could get at the drives, and the boxes are only removed by the cashier.

When I went home and examined it, the package had been previously sliced open. This made me suspicious, so I scanned it with my antivirus, and it had been infected.

It had a file called "! My Picutre.SCR" on it, which was a virus called "TR/Crypt.CFI.Gen"

So, anyone shopping here, should be very careful with drives, and format them.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2493 posts
83 upvotes
should have inspected the device prior to you departing from the store. I never bring home opened packages unless absolutely necessary.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
4307 posts
515 upvotes
I would have definitely noticed it was open, I am not purchasing brand new opened item, i want brand new sealed if that is what my dollar pays for.
Friends don't let friends sign up with BHELL!
Bell free since 2010.
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2012
1098 posts
37 upvotes
akz wrote:
Oct 9th, 2012 10:22 am
I would have definitely noticed it was open, I am not purchasing brand new opened item, i want brand new sealed if that is what my dollar pays for.
+1
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1958 upvotes
So what happened when you took it back to the store?
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
10367 posts
12611 upvotes
Montreal
a post by a singular po'd experience .as a warning ? Am sorry but never had any issues with Staples ...............shall RFD post them all ?

We all had bad experiences with some stores but ............a warning ? lol. One one off poster ?Learn to shop kiddo .Useless thread
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2011
1721 posts
427 upvotes
akz wrote:
Oct 9th, 2012 10:22 am
:arrowu:

People that buy "new games" from GameStop/EBGames. :facepalm:
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
13360 posts
683 upvotes
OP will never be back.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Jul 17, 2012