Scammers and Warnings

Warning: Desijatt - Bad Seller / No-Show Seller

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2011 12:12 pm
Member
Dec 1, 2005
285 posts

Warning: Desijatt - Bad Seller / No-Show Seller

[FINAL UPDATE: Feb 9] Desijatt has been banned from RFD by mod MP3_SKY for 1 year, effectively immediately. Thank you to all RFD members who stepped up to support this case.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/warning- ... st12406133

FACTS OF THE CASE

I am making this post to warn all RFD users of the seller named Desijatt.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/members/desijatt-182989/

From my last dealing with Desijatt about a failed deal, I deem this individual to be a manipulative liar who refuses to honor his sale and who has repeatedly failed to show up to meet despite multiple verbal and written confirmations.

The following is a summarized chronology of my case. I will stick to only the facts of this bad sale, backed up by exact quotes from Desijatt sent to me by PM on RFD or by SMS to my phone.

The deal in question is for an Apple iPad 3G which he posted on RFD for sale on Jan 31:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/ipad-16g ... fi-999027/

On Feb 1, he replied to my offer by PM for the first time. We then exchanged a rapid series of PMs, during which he confirmed that the sale was legitimate and that the iPad was genuine and unopened.

As a general rule, I exercise great caution in screening sellers to avoid scammers. To this end, I always ask the seller to correspond with me not only by PM but also by SMS and by voice (phone) so that there will be no room for misunderstanding of the terms of a private sale.

Desijatt gave me his mobile number, and we spoke to each other by phone on Feb 1. He again confirmed with me the condition and price of the sale. I requested that we would meet at the Apple store in Eaton Centre. I told him that I will ask the staff at the Apple store to verify the serial on the device to make sure that it is legit. Further, before paying him in full, I told him that we will open the supposedly sealed iPad in the store together to ensure that it is not a fake and that it is not damaged or stolen goods. Desijatt agreed. We set up a time to meet in the afternoon of Feb 2.

On Feb 2, just half an hour before the time set for our meet-up, he sent me a SMS telling me that he could not come because of bad weather. I was already near the store waiting for him. Although I found it to be odd that he would choose only to notify me this late, I reluctantly accepted his explanation and asked him for an alternate time. He wrote me back the following messages by SMS:

Desijatt (Feb 2th, 2011 12:04 PM): "Around 2Pm would be soonest."
Desijatt (Feb 2th, 2011 12:04 PM): "Ok this is fine I am confirming"

I waited for him for the second time for over an hour, during which time I repeatedly tried to reach him by voice and SMS without any success. At first, I was quite worried that he might have been in an accident on his way to meet me. It soon became apparent that he had skipped out on our deal and had deliberately chosen not to respond to my earlier messages.

Between Feb 2 and Feb 3, I tried to reach him again by PM, SMS, and phone. He did not respond until, on Feb 4, I sent a PM notifying the mod at RFD that I intended to post a warning in this forum about this seller and a PM notifying Desijatt himself of my complaint. Almost immediately, I received a flood of PMs from Desijatt acknowledging that he had knowingly skipped out of our meet-up, pleading with me not to file the complaint, and agreeing again to meet with me for the sale:

Desijatt (Feb 4th, 2011 11:12 AM): "I'm sure we can resolve this matter somehow. You have every right to do whatever you feel is right. but let me know what i can do to help i'm sorry"
Desijatt (Feb 4th, 2011 11:14 AM): "I don't have an excuse nor am i going to try to make up a pathetic one."
Desijatt (Feb 4th, 2011 12:05 PM): "the item is still sitting on my Desk SEALED. I can promise a tomorrow MEET WITH NO TRICKS"

However, Desijatt also sent me a PM demanding that I would remove a post I had made in one of his threads selling an Apple product in which I alerted other RFD users that this individual had flaked out of a previously agreed sale:

Desijatt (Feb 4th, 2011 12:13 PM): "also this is a personal matter please change your comments on my ipod thread otherwise i will not do this transaction."

Once more, I reluctantly accepted his explanation and agreed to meet with him on Feb 5 for the sale. Again, I demanded that we would speak on the phone to confirm the deal. We spoke to each other by phone in the evening of Feb 4. I meticulously went over once more the terms of our sale, including location and examination of the iPad by the Apple store staff to ensure that it is legit before I would pay him in full. I also told him I would temporarily block out for now my negative posts about him but would reinstate them immediately should he again fail to follow through on this deal. Once again, he agreed to my demands and gave me his assurance that he would show up this time with no delay or excuse.

On Feb 5, just hours before the time set for our meet-up, he sent me a PM retracting his previous promise:

Desijatt (Feb 5th, 2011 11:51 AM): "Please respond back and let me know if it is possible for us to meet tomorrownthis [sic] is adequate time in advance"

I replied back by both PM and SMS, telling him that this is not possible, especially given the terms of the sale to which he had repeatedly agreed yesterday. I also notified him by PM, SMS, and voice that I would be at the Apple store on time waiting for him. He has since not responded to any of my messages, yet again. However, I knew that he had read at least one of my PMs to him on RFD because of a private message receipt I received back from him.

Not surprisingly, he did not show up at the Apple store (for the third time). I tried to contact him by SMS and phone from the Apple store without success. My last message to him was a voice mail left to his mobile number, telling him that he had failed to honor this deal and that I would report him as a bad dealer on RFD accordingly.

AFTERMATH

As these events transpire, several RFD users have alerted me to a previous bad dealing by Desijatt that had led to a temporary ban of him back in Jul 2009:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/warning- ... te-751100/

I was aware of Desijatt's prior negative BST feedback, but I was also aware of the many positive ratings he had received in other sales since then. As such, I decided that I should practice due diligence in giving every benefit of doubt to this individual who may have reformed. Alas, I was wrong in my judgment, as proven in this case.

Although I had not lost any money by paying him in advance for this sale, I had lost many hours of my time over this ordeal and had taken time off work for the meet-ups. I had considered dropping this matter in silence after he failed the first time to show up for the sale, but I decided to try to reconcile with this individual as I believe he deserves a second chance so that he would not be labeled forever with a scarlet letter because of a first-time mistake. Sadly, Desijatt has proven me wrong.

I will not speculate on Desijatt's true intentions behind this prank he had pulled with this sale. I know that most RFD users are very clever and savvy shoppers, so that I can safely leave the speculations to those who may be more qualified to do so. Undoubtedly, Desijatt will respond to this thread with his excuses and false accusations. I simply want to report my true experience dealing with Desijatt and let the facts speak for themselves. This way, these facts may serve as a fair warning to others who are considering making a purchase from him.

Lastly, I invite other RFD users who have had bad dealings with Desijatt to post their experiences with this manipulative individual.

UPDATES

[UPDATE: Feb 6] See the excellent sleuthing by RFD master user JAC on further info and past bad seller behaviors of Desijatt:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/warning- ... on-592011/

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/armani-g ... ost7764515

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/warning- ... st12384628

[UPDATE: Feb 6] Mendesb, Sponsored RFD Poster, has posted a personal account of his bad dealing with the seller Desijatt:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/warning- ... st12386932

[UPDATE: Feb 8] Reputable RFD member, djoutcry, has provided a new testimonial sent to him by another RFD user of Desijatt's bad seller behavior:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/warning- ... st12404905

SUMMARY

1. Practice extreme caution when dealing with Desijatt about a sale.
2. If Desijatt repeatedly makes late requests to change meeting time and place, be suspicious that he may not show up for the sale.
3. Use multiple forms of communications (preferably written) when corresponding with Desijatt that can then be traced in case there is a dispute.
23 replies
Banned
Sep 21, 2008
733 posts
3 upvotes
it's funny. To start i pm'd him last night telling him i would not be able to make it today. On the phone when we spoke last night he made it very clear i HAD to show up like i owed him something. get one thing straight buddy i owe you nothing.

Now. over the course of the last week. i think he's left me 15 voicemails about 20 pm's and about 50 calls missed calls. Due to weather and other circumstances i was unable to make it to our meetings i didn't leave him hanging i pre-warned him last minute whatever it may be. I did tell him i cannot make it.

I've had 20 good transactions in the past year and one bad one. you have ZERO transactions. maybe its because they way you constantly pester people. FYI to anyone dealing with this guy in the future. HE will bug you NONE STOP till he gets what he wants
[OP]
Member
Dec 1, 2005
285 posts
The benefit of having written records is that they are time stamped and can be checked by a neutral third party. I am saddened that you have found this situation to be "funny". Let me debunk the accusations put forth by Desijatt:
Desijatt wrote:
Feb 6th, 2011 2:24 am
it's funny. To start i pm'd him last night telling him i would not be able to make it today.
This is a lie. The PM in question was sent on Feb 5th, 2011 11:51 AM. This was already stated in my original post. I received no other correspondence from him prior about the cancellation. To the contrary, in a previous PM from the afternoon of Feb 4 and during a phone call from the evening of Feb 4, he again confirmed that he would show up today (Feb 5).
Desijatt wrote:
Feb 6th, 2011 2:24 am
i didn't leave him hanging i pre-warned him last minute whatever it may be
This is also a lie. For the second attempt to meet up on Feb 2, he just frankly did not show up, without any prior warning whatsoever. Again, in a PM from Feb 4 I included in my original post, he openly acknowledged that he did not have an excuse for flaking out.
Desijatt wrote:
Feb 6th, 2011 2:24 am
he's left me 15 voicemails about 20 pm's and about 50 calls missed calls.
This is another lie. The number of voicemails and calls are greatly exaggerated. Once again, if the mod demands it, I can submit a call log on my phone that shows how many calls I have made to this individual (as well as the calls he made to me). More importantly, his admission that he had received my messages is ample proof that he chose to deliberately ignore my correspondence when he failed to show up for the sale (a total of three times).
Member
Feb 17, 2006
322 posts
2 upvotes
I purchased a brand new Blackberry 9780 from Desijatt, no issues at all the phone works great. We met up in about an hour after the first PM and he was on time for the sale.

It seems this could have been an isolated incident
[OP]
Member
Dec 1, 2005
285 posts
This is why I was so puzzled at first. Unfortunately, this is not an isolated incident, as Desijatt had been previously banned by RFD for another infraction.

Still, despite of the fact that I knew of Desijatt's faulty BST record, I also saw that he had made good sales with other RFD users. As stated in my original post, it was largely the reason why I continued the negotiation with him to meet again even after the fact that he had flaked out on me. It is also why I was so meticulous in my writeup of this case, making sure that the entire account of this bad sale was properly documented.

I have my theories about why he chose to act this way, but I decided to stay off any conjecture and to stick to the facts only in my original post. I have great faith in the intelligence of our RFD community, and we can all guess as to the possible motives why Desijatt decided not to honor the deal. Even if he is just holding out for another seller, I am still puzzled as to why he simply would not just withdraw his sale post or reply to all subsequent inquirers (including me) that the item has been sold off. I would have never given a second thought and would just move onto another seller if I was told that the item was already sold or was no longer for sale when I first contacted him. I am certain there are parts of this story that are entirely hidden from me which only Desijatt would know.
jsanghavi wrote:
Feb 6th, 2011 4:19 am
I purchased a brand new Blackberry 9780 from Desijatt
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 14, 2006
8115 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto
to1337ca wrote:
Feb 6th, 2011 5:03 am
This is why I was so puzzled at first. Unfortunately, this is not an isolated incident, as Desijatt had been previously banned by RFD for another infraction.

Still, despite of the fact that I knew of Desijatt's faulty BST record, I also saw that he had made good sales with other RFD users. As stated in my original post, it was largely the reason why I continued the negotiation with him to meet again even after the fact that he had flaked out on me. It is also why I was so meticulous in my writeup of this case, making sure that the entire account of this bad sale was properly documented.

I have my theories about why he chose to act this way, but I decided to stay off any conjecture and to stick to the facts only in my original post. I have great faith in the intelligence of our RFD community, and we can all guess as to the possible motives why Desijatt decided not to honor the deal. Even if he is just holding out for another seller, I am still puzzled as to why he simply would not just withdraw his sale post or reply to all subsequent inquirers (including me) that the item has been sold off. I would have never given a second thought and would just move onto another seller if I was told that the item was already sold or was no longer for sale when I first contacted him. I am certain there are parts of this story that are entirely hidden from me which only Desijatt would know.

That's my bet... ah well. Some people contact multiple sellers to secure a deal, and cater to whoever gives them the most $ for it.

Nice detailed post though!
[OP]
Member
Dec 1, 2005
285 posts
Nice thought, mcg. If such is the case, why doesn't he just tell me that there is a higher bid and that he plans to sell this off to someone else? Were I to receive such a reply, I will just move onto another seller. Why did he agree to meet with me and then flake out thrice? Following your theory, does this mean that he might be holding out for another seller for 5 days, all the while pretending to sell the item to me?
mcg wrote:
Feb 6th, 2011 5:14 am
That's my bet... ah well. Some people contact multiple sellers to secure a deal, and cater to whoever gives them the most $ for it.

Nice detailed post though!
Both of you (mcg and jsanghavi) are RFD power users with exemplary BST track records, whereas I am a RFD newbie. Perhaps this makes me a target which Desijatt can feel free to discard at will. By contrast, any seller (including Desijatt) would be foolish to try to pull this trick on either of you, as your established reputation will instantly put the community on high alert against such an individual. My voice is a small one compared to yours.
jsanghavi wrote:
Feb 6th, 2011 4:19 am
It seems this could have been an isolated incident
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 14, 2006
1818 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
Great read, very well written post OP.

As far as DesiJatt being a bad seller: if DesiJatt knows that he has received X amount of calls or text messages, shouldn't he have contacted OP back via phone or sms instead of ignoring him for a couple of days and reverting back to PM'ing him? :S

I mean, sure let's say OP WAS being annoying or whatever, ignoring it won't really make it stop...if someone did not pick up my calls, I'd call until they picked up or called me back :S. And if I was receiving call after call from the same person, I would pick up and discuss the matter to clear things up and avoid "unnecessary nagging" phone calls

Anyway, bottom line: I agree with mcg, DesiJatt was probably holding onto it for another seller, but did not want to tell OP in fear that if the other deal falls through he can't use OP as a backup sale.

That is just my opinion about this whole ordeal from an outside vantage point.

I think apologies are in order from potential seller to potential buyer.

Sorry DesiJatt. I really don't mean to pick on you. Maybe you should plead your case if you're willing. But so far, your post looks quite immature and exaggerated.

And sorry OP for this happening to you here on RFD.
to1337ca wrote:
Feb 6th, 2011 5:38 am
Both of you (mcg and jsanghavi) are RFD power users with exemplary BST track records, whereas I am a RFD newbie. Perhaps this makes me a target which Desijatt can feel free to discard at will.
I highly doubt this is the case
SCAMMER THREADS
SCAMMER GOT PWNED
Banned
Sep 21, 2008
733 posts
3 upvotes
There is no Case to plead. I did not opt out for a higher paying buyer I was busy today with family events all day. I tried to get out of them but could not. anywho i'll just keep the ipad and open it. Still sealed i still have it. as i told the buyer i ended up with 2 from 2 different family members as gift. planned on keeping one but ill give one to my brother or something just keep both.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 14, 2006
1818 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
Family things just don't happen sporadically without you not having the time to contact the buyer ahead of time to inform him. Nevertheless, meeting the buyer would end up being a 1hour (MAX) ordeal anyway. I'm sure you could have contacted him well ahead of time or at least made some time for him.

Anyway, I don't see this being resolved as both parties seem to feel that they are both right in their own way and that they did not have any wrong doing.

Since no actual transaction has not taken place, DesiJatt is not really a scammer, and since this is an isolated issue, I also doubt he was a time waster either.

EDIT: Took a second look at DesiJatt's feedback, seems to me you've "wasted" another member's time back in March of 2010...

I don't know anymore...

Side note for OP: the title threw me off, I thought you thought DesiJatt was a bad seller because he did not take a shower...lol?
SCAMMER THREADS
SCAMMER GOT PWNED
[OP]
Member
Dec 1, 2005
285 posts
Desijatt,

Once again, a quick logic check reveals faults and gaps in your argument. Here are two quotes in which you tried to explain about your prior obligations as an excuse of flaking out on our meet-up.
Desijatt wrote:
Feb 6th, 2011 6:10 am
I was busy today with family events all day.
Desijatt wrote:
Feb 6th, 2011 2:24 am
i pm'd him last night telling him i would not be able to make it today.
If both of these statements are true, then they imply that you were aware of these family obligations the evening prior when I spoke to you on the phone to confirm our meeting. If such is the case, then why did you assure me on the phone that you would be able to meet with me on that day?

If either or both of these statements are false, then they imply that you were not being truthful from the start. How can anyone trust your subsequent claims?

---

djoutcry,

Nice find. I decided not to report that negative feedback in my original post because, like you, I was unable to locate further information on it, unlike the event from Jul 2009 that was well documented for which Desijatt was banned.
djoutcry wrote:
Feb 6th, 2011 6:18 am
EDIT: Took a second look at DesiJatt's feedback, seems to me you've "wasted" another member's time back in March of 2010...
Thanks, title corrected. You are very clever.
djoutcry wrote:
Feb 6th, 2011 6:18 am
Side note for OP: the title threw me off, I thought you thought DesiJatt was a bad seller because he did not take a shower...lol?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 16, 2001
14338 posts
1292 upvotes
Oshawa
He's been doing this for years. It's time to kick his ass out of here.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/warning- ... te-751100/
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/armani-g ... ost7764515
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/q6600-hd ... ost7458129
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/warning- ... on-592011/


He's also been warned multiple times for too many threads, and from the amount of brand-new merchandise he's selling, it appears he's running a business without being a sponsored poster.
These are his Kijiji ads. Obvious he's a business.
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-PostersOther ... dZ47595503

Phone number: 416-827-5139

Email address:
ferrarienzo450@hotmail.com

Alias: Soulja
Blacklisted brands: Sony, Lenovo, Dell, Vizio
Banned
Sep 21, 2008
733 posts
3 upvotes
JAC wrote:
Feb 6th, 2011 7:03 am
He's been doing this for years. It's time to kick his ass out of here.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/warning- ... te-751100/
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/armani-g ... ost7764515
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/q6600-hd ... ost7458129
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/warning- ... on-592011/


He's also been warned multiple times for too many threads, and from the amount of brand-new merchandise he's selling, it appears he's running a business without being a sponsored poster.
These are his Kijiji ads. Obvious he's a business.
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-PostersOther ... dZ47595503

Phone number: 416-827-5139

Email address:
ferrarienzo450@hotmail.com

Alias: Soulja

didn't know i ran a business :-0
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 14, 2006
1818 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
Desijatt wrote:
Feb 6th, 2011 7:53 am
didn't know i ran a business :-0
...yes because every normal person owns and wants to get rid of:
- iPhone 4 BNIB
- HTC Desire BNIB
- BB Torch x2
- BB Bold x2
- iPod touch BNIB
- the iPad in question
- 325451 cameras...

$.t.*.u and get out of this forum. I hate punks like you.

Banned.

/thread.

Side-note: "Soulja"...lol hahahahahaa
SCAMMER THREADS
SCAMMER GOT PWNED
[OP]
Member
Dec 1, 2005
285 posts
Is there a mechanism on Kijiji and Craigslist to report Desijatt's behaviors as well? This is relevant because the iPad in question was most likely (disclaimer: this is based on extreme similarity with the ad posted here) advertised there also:

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell ... Z257815373

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/ele/2190272366.html

In fact, these two ads were part of the trail that led me to RFD and my eventual decision to buy from Desijatt, mistakenly believing that he was trustworthy.

I know that each post on Kijiji and Craigslist can be individually flagged, but this will not protect the community at large by casting a general warning against a specific bad seller such as Desijatt.
djoutcry wrote:
Feb 6th, 2011 3:05 pm
...yes because every normal person owns and wants to get rid of:
- iPhone 4 BNIB
- HTC Desire BNIB
- BB Torch x2
- BB Bold x2
- iPod touch BNIB
- the iPad in question
- 325451 cameras...

$.t.*.u and get out of this forum. I hate punks like you.

Banned.

/thread.

Side-note: "Soulja"...lol hahahahahaa
× < >

Top