None
SCORE
+3
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2005
1034 posts
32 upvotes
Brampton
Fact is, a few people will have bad experiences at any retailer. The OP's post wont really do anything, but I can understand his/her frustration. Just don't shop there any more and move on.
May 28, 2012
8886 posts
1502 upvotes
Saskatoon
When we were looking for wood furniture we checked out a lot of places in town. I was surprised to find the same exact brand at Leon's as at another place...and it was significantly cheaper in price. I looked closer and could tell that, although it looked the same, it wasn't made the same. There were many construction shortcuts on the cheaper one; for example, more veneers, the finishing is not as good and no dove-tail joints.
Aug 13, 2012
9 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Oh my goodness!! I know how you feel! We just bought a sofa sectional and an entertainment unit from Leon's in July 2012. The entertainment unit arrived and the delivery guys did not put it together properly! It had gaps and I told them. They claimed this is how it is. Plus the light on one of the piers was not working! So I called Leon's and they said they'd send a technician. The technician came a few days later and he said he didn't have the part!! And that he couldn't put the entertainment unit together by himself. He needed another person to hold the bridge while he re-fits it. Why would he not bring the part (the light) when they told him that was what was not working??????? Anyway, the tech says he will call the next day and set up another appointment. 2 weeks later, He still has not called back and has not come back. So I call the store and they take a message saying they will leave a message with the tech. Still nothing.

The sofa sectional we bought came a couple days after the entertainment unit. It was so poorly made and looked a lot different than the store model that we picked from. The color was darker and the cushions on the back were completely uneven and weird looking. There is a huge gap between the cushions near the sectional part (the Chaise part). We call the store and they claim someone will call us back. We waited and waited, a week later, no one calls us back. A couple days ago I asked to speak with a manager. They put me through to "Shelby", some woman that works there, which now I do not believe is even the manager. Anyway, I tell her about both problems. She says she will call the tech right away and he will call back. Guess what? No one calls back!

I call her back today and she claims that she faxed him the info and left another message with him. I told her this is unacceptable. 3 weeks later and no resolution. She didn't care. She just listened but said nothing. Then I asked for a number for head office. She says they don't give that out. (I am thinking they don't have one). Then I ask who her supervisor is and she tells me Rob but he's not there.

I will be calling them and trying to get a hold of Rob, when he is supposedly back on Thursday.

Unfortunately, we did not know how bad Leon's was. Very poor follow-thru, very poor customer service, and very poor quality items. Had we known, we would have only shopped at The Brick (where we bought our other furniture items.)

I told her that she could come pick up the sofa and entertainment unit because I will be filing a dispute with the credit card company. She said: "That's fine". That's fine? Wow, awful service. Anyway, we did buy this stuff on their financing option which is with Dejardin's Visa. I am going to call them tomorrow to see if they can do something.

As the original poster said: "WARNING DO NOT BUY from Leon's Furniture'. I second that! I am very surprised by the terrible service from a company that had so many commercials and fools people into thinking they are a huge operation and a good company. They are not!
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15038 posts
744 upvotes
w4rrior wrote:
Jun 6th, 2012 10:18 pm
Fact is, a few people will have bad experiences at any retailer. The OP's post wont really do anything, but I can understand his/her frustration. Just don't shop there any more and move on.
I just use cheapo furnature but if I was going to spend real money (like hundreds on a matress or couch) I'd just buy a Costco membershop and get it from there.

You'd be hard pressed to find any legit complaints for them. Likely that could mostly be said for Ikea as well.
Sign the petition from MP Sonia Sidhu demanding government 'dump the duties and taxes' on cross-border purchases
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/petitio ... s-2013921/
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
1840 posts
80 upvotes
I bought a couch set from Leon's clearance section, it was a great deal and I was happy with the purchase.

Also bought a king mattress when they had their bed sale. Paid for the bed, bed got delivered with no problems, bed's been great. No problems so far.

When you're dealing with a large furniture chain such as leon's, there is bound to be a small percentage of people that will be unhappy about something. Maybe for every 1 person that is upset about something, there are 99 other satisfied customers. It just so happens that upset people are usually a lot more vocal than the satisfied ones.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2001
2318 posts
229 upvotes
Ajax
Just wanted to point out that most of the quality issues in this thread are happening at manufacturing level.
Just wanted to share a personal experience on this:

My father in in the furniture business and deals with several importers. I asked him to get me a couple of leather sofas cheap, my only request was that they are chocolate brown. I paid a really small amount for both and thought I had landed a deal. Right from the get go it had problems, spring giving way etc etc. So I open up the bottom, pull the felt off and see that what looked to be wood of the worst quality.
I mean the wood was just cheap cheap wood. I swear to they told somebody at the factory in China to get some loading skids and make frames from them. Not only that, they used nails to secure the springs in the wood which was super dry, resulting in the nails just flying out. They weren't even full boards, there would be gouges or giant slivers missing from what should have been a 2x2 or something.

Externally the couch looked fantastic, you would not know the sub par material used in the construction of the frame unless you flipped it over and pulled the felt off the bottom. I paid little enough that it wasn't a big deal to me, but this thing was falling apart from week one. Just a thought about really paying attention to what you pay for, not all manufacturers in China are bad, but some are obviously playing games.

The reason the drivers at Leon's want to get out as fast as possible is to avoid unpacking inspections. There are a lot of people who will find fault with the smallest thing and hold up their entire day. As a former owner of a furniture business I can attest to this. It got to the point where I would insist they pack the furniture in front of me at the plant so I could catch problems before I delivered.

When dealing with Chinese suppliers, and this is apparently a common problem, there are 2 levels of quality. One for samples and one for actual product. If you have enough muscle like Walmart you can go in to the plants and insist upon a certain level of quality and have agents there who oversee the manufacturing process.

For people just importing, most chances are the product is shipped over in containers and kept in the original factory packaging. (makes sense, who's going to unpack, inspect and then repack an entire container load of furniture?)

If you can, try to buy your furniture from a local manufacturer who you can hold to the fire for any quality issues. If your furniture is coming from overseas then you can imagine the process involved in seeking retribution.

Sadly, it seems a lot of local manufacturers have found it cheaper to just import rather than manufacture here.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
12844 posts
571 upvotes
While I don't consider Leons most of the time. We have purchased appliances and mattresses without any issue. No problems with the store, the online shopping or the delivery.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1956 upvotes
I bought a freezer last month from Leon's. I shopped around and they had the cheapest price. Even though they include delivery in their price for most items, their delivery is normally $50 which is also than competitors who charge around $70 - $75 (Sears, Lowes). Delivery went smoothly. They called the day before to confirm and called that morning to say when they would arrive. They were there 15 minutes later. I may be at the beginning of their delivery route because I always get early deliveries with them. The delivery guys were professional and friendly. I couldn't be happier.

I have dealt with two different Leon's locations, and have always been happy with the service. My only issue was that the sales rep was pretty useless (but I had done my research beforehand) and I initially had trouble getting waited on during my first visit to the store. I think that was because I was a female shopping alone and the saleperson was a certain ethnicity. When I went back with my father, he actually approached us and spoke to my father, even though I indicated that I was the one making the purchase.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
1840 posts
80 upvotes
Cheap Cat wrote:
Aug 15th, 2012 2:30 pm
I have dealt with two different Leon's locations, and have always been happy with the service. My only issue was that the sales rep was pretty useless (but I had done my research beforehand) and I initially had trouble getting waited on during my first visit to the store. I think that was because I was a female shopping alone and the saleperson was a certain ethnicity. When I went back with my father, he actually approached us and spoke to my father, even though I indicated that I was the one making the purchase.
I always have the opposite problem. It feels like I'm always being stalked. On the weekend, sales reps would follow me as I walk around the store...keeping their distance. Once I sat on a bed or on a couch, they would swoop in and tell me all about it.
Aug 20, 2010
282 posts
71 upvotes
Cheap Cat wrote:
Aug 15th, 2012 2:30 pm
I bought a freezer last month from Leon's. I shopped around and they had the cheapest price. Even though they include delivery in their price for most items, their delivery is normally $50 which is also than competitors who charge around $70 - $75 (Sears, Lowes). Delivery went smoothly. They called the day before to confirm and called that morning to say when they would arrive. They were there 15 minutes later. I may be at the beginning of their delivery route because I always get early deliveries with them. The delivery guys were professional and friendly. I couldn't be happier.

Same experience here. I ordered a chest freezer from their website, had it delivered. Everything was on time, the delivery people didn't make a mess, generally a positive experience.

I think that the majority of the problems with all furniture stores, Leons, The Brick, etc. is that they fail on two fronts. Either delivery/installation is messed up, or they have bad warranties. It feels like many of these problems can be avoided by consumers being a little more vigilant.

If I'm spending over $500 on several items, I'd rather beg, borrow or rent a truck with friends and physically pick up the items and move them myself (with friends). I can inspect the items on pick up for any flaws or damage. I can make sure the correct items are loaded up. I can verify that all parts are in the packages. I can avoid having strangers damage my home, new items, or other property. If you want something done right, sometimes you really do need to do it yourself. If the item isn't available for pickup the day you're there, walk away. It's dodging a bullet. Go elsewhere, even if you end up paying $100s more, I'd rather give my money to a company that can give me what I want when it's convenient for me instead of working around their schedule. If it's something that's custom built, then there's more wiggle room, but for stock items, especially appliances, there's no excuse for a store to not have stock.

As for warranties, read it like a hawk. Yeah it's long and boring, but understanding the paperwork can make life easier. Ignore any claims or statements salespeople make, they're just trying to get the sale, the paperwork is all that matters. If you follow the warranty papers to the letter and still have problems with the company, then you have a serious complaint and I'll give you a sympathetic ear.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2008
1732 posts
742 upvotes
an_idiot wrote:
Mar 26th, 2012 11:19 am
I bought a fridge and stove from Leon's. No problems with the delivery and no problems with the appliances themselves, 1 year and counting.

I would like to see some evidence about the accusations of the DEMO units.
Me too. Bought a couch there last year. They delivered. (Toronto Downtown). They drilled the legs on it also. It came all wrapped up in plastic. The 2 driver/set-up guys were quite nice/professional. Gave them a tip and some much needed bottled water

The end :D
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5720 posts
508 upvotes
In going through this thread for the first thing the thing I noticed was that 2 people slammed Leons especially hard:

Post #1 from OP who is a new member ("NovaScotianKid") with 2 posts to his name - both of them slamming Leons. Both of his posts were back on March 26 and he has posted absolutely nothing since then.

Post #18 from another new member ("consumersavvy") posting yesterday for the very first time.

Neither of these posters have any credibility since they only have a total of 3 Redflags posts combined, all of them slamming Leons. I would not be surprised if this was the same person trying to keep the thread alive with a new identity. I would suspect that this is either a competitor or someone with a long standing grudge against Leons.

I think this thread should be locked.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2011
1805 posts
334 upvotes
Vancouver
If you're buying furniture, make sure the business is registered with Better Business Bureau (BBB) and has a good rating.

If you have any complaints the store is refusing to settle, or is taking too long, BBB acts as a mediator to force a resolution to your issue. If the store ignores your claim, or takes too long, their reputation is at stake.

But if you're buying from stores that don't have BBB accreditation, they have nothing to lose if they don't resolve your complaint.

Avoid "The Brick" - it seems none of their stores are BBB accredited; as well they have a terrible history on RedFlagDeals - just search the forums.

Avoid some Leon's stores - the ones with negative ratings, and the ones without BBB accreditation. But I see there are some Leon's furniture stores that are BBB accredited, and that have good ratings. I'm guessing that is why we have the two extremes in this thread - some stores have really great customer service; some stores really are terrible. And your experience will be based at which location you buy from.

If you're looking for a bed and you have a "Mattress Mart" in your area, definitely shop with them. They don't have any of those fake "50% off sales" - they have good and honest pricing. And they're rated A+ with BBB. Had a really great experience buying from them. I didn't even have to wait for shipping - they threw the bed set on the roof of my coupe, tied it down, and I was headed home for a good night of sleep.

I tell you - with something like furniture, you either buy from BBB accredited places, or you inspect the furniture before they ship it to your house (like one of the posters here suggested). If they already shipped the broken furniture to your house, it's too late at that point. Or as suggested, don't sign the delivery paperwork until you've inspected the furniture.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5014 posts
428 upvotes
Grimsby
I don't know, we've had pretty good experiences at Leons. We missed a big sale on a genuine leather couch and they gave it to me at the sale price anyway. I schmoozed the sales woman a bit and she threw in leather protection stuff for free. They called to confirm the delivery date and were there bang on at 8am, delivered it and left after I took two minutes to check for leather rips or scratches. Couch is really nice and the leather/frame have worn well despite some...spirited activities taking place on it at times. We get compliments on it all the time, my family was floored at how cheap we got it.
Feb 26, 2009
436 posts
28 upvotes
Sudbury
Does anyone have experience with Notre Dame Boys or Roy's Furniture in Sudbury?
× < >