Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 17, 2006
263 posts
3 upvotes

Warning: Don't use Home Depot for garage doors & installation in Ottawa

Here's my story:

1. Bought a garage door & opener and [rfdlink=87]Home Depot[/rfdlink] in Sept with installation
2. Was told I'd get a call to schedule measurements from a third party
3. Got the call from "Garage Door People"; appt done. I stayed home on the day. No body showed up. Then I got a voice message saying someone had come to my door and there was no response. WTF?
4. I called back to schedule another appt only to be told the persn who does that was not in that day... Called again on another day & scheduled appt for Oct 30. Installer showed up and took measurements. Told me would call in 4-6 weeks to schedule an installation.
5. December 17 still no phone call; I call the woman there says "we have your door, but haven't received the opener from [rfdlink=87]Home Depot[/rfdlink]. It's not our job to call you if there's a delay. It's [rfdlink=87]Home Depot[/rfdlink]" After a lot of back and forth she told me if she receives the door opener she'll schedule an installation on Dec 19.
6. Dec 19 comes along and no phone call. Now, how am I supposed to know that she received the opener? Am I supposed to sit here and wait for someone who might or might not show up? Is it not common decency to call & confirm with a time frame? I ended up calling & she says someone will be here around 10:30am. No apology, no sense of consideration. Plain rude, actually.

I will be writing a formal complaint to both [rfdlink=87]Home Depot[/rfdlink] and Garage Door People. This is unacceptable.
9 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
187 upvotes
Yes, they suck. I have similar experience getting them to replace a garage door opener. I was so pissed in the end, I refund the whole thing and get the guy to repair my existing one.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
1965 posts
124 upvotes
I heard so many horror about HD installation stories, I even saw one on TV wasn't sure it was on Global or CFTO about replacing the roof on a rainy day with very heavy downpours.
Banned
Apr 4, 2006
490 posts
6 upvotes
yep...horrible service when it comes to installing..though in my case we bought for $99 during one day sale and i called a guy up from kijji.ca and he installed for $60!!!! Did an amazing job that I referred 2 additional folks.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24027 posts
4311 upvotes
Call Holmes on Homes on them, LOL. That would be funny--calling him on the very chain he endorses :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5759 posts
188 upvotes
GTA
Try googling HD installations and you will find all kinds of horror stories from poor workmanship to expensive pricing!!!!

sk
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
1965 posts
124 upvotes
sunnybono wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2008 1:06 pm
Try googling HD installations and you will find all kinds of horror stories from poor workmanship to expensive pricing!!!!

sk
Very true.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4650 posts
1043 upvotes
Kitchener
Home Depot is only as good as the subcontractors they contract out to do the work. some may luck out and get an awesome contractor while others won't. Was your garage door deal the one they had for a free upgrade to a premium door? Home Depot would of had to find the cheapest contractor around to make a profit on that deal
Banned
Sep 11, 2008
404 posts
3 upvotes
GTA West
ES_Revenge wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2008 12:40 pm
Call Holmes on Homes on them, LOL. That would be funny--calling him on the very chain he endorses :lol:
He's had an episode when it happened, he said "a large international hardware store", and Lowes wasn't in the country yet. ;)
Mortgage Agent Licence M08006899
Mortgage Brokerage Licence 11157