Food & Drink

Locked: Warning: Maki Maki Japanese all you can eat (Mississauga)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2006 12:57 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2003
7387 posts
3684 upvotes
GTA

Warning: Maki Maki Japanese all you can eat (Mississauga)

Hi guys,

If you are looking to visit them, you MUST read this post

I posted up a thread yesterday to ask for a place for Japanese all you can eat: http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=334191

So i had my mind set on umi until today i heard on the radio that there's a restruant just around the corner, which is called Maki Maki, a very new restruant.

I went in there, it look nice, but don't get fooled. Tables are small, very crowded. You can't even talk, the next table will basically be be hearing your discussion.

I got my seat very quickly, it was around 6:40pm i entered the resturant. They sattle us in a small table in the middle of the place, then i asked for the sofa seat, which looks far more comfortable than the one we were at. They fullfilled our request. 5 mins later, they come back and tell us "Sorry it's been reserved, you have to move". Turns out it was reserved for their friend/family. So i move back to the original table which is basically RIGHT next to the another table.

Ok fine, table is a table, i came here for food. Decent menu, but not even close to the markham ones. The promotion is supposed to have free crab leg, steak and also big tampura shrimp. So i put through the first sheet of order and patiently waited for the food to arrive. Waited for 10 mins, nothing. Waited for 25, nothing. Asked the waiter, he said it's coming shortly. Alright, that's fine. Waited another 10 mins (35 mins total now), asked another waiter, he tells me "Sorry because alot of people put through an order at the same time, so we can't fullfill all" and walked away. Meanwhile, i see people that are coming in later than us got their food?!?! 2 mins later, i found out they are the friend of the employees there. We were about to walk out, 10 mins later (now 45 mins), a plate of steak pieces came!!! OMG. Took us 30 second to finish it (that's how small it was, and we are small people). That's fine, as long as foods are coming and it's "all you can eat", what do i care? The steak didn't taste too bad, so we were looking forward to the other dishes. Waited another 30 mins (1hr 15mins at this point), the second dishes arrived and guess what it was? SALAD.

This continutes to go on until 2 hr into the dinner, we have came to a conclusion that the 15 dishes we ordered on the first sheet, only 4 came and the other got lost. So we put through another order. At this point, we only want to eat and get out. We put through another 8 dishes or so. VERY quick this time: 50 pieces of sushi + shashimi arrived for 2 person!! We were SHOCKED!! We thought about it, we were convinced that they put the first and 2nd order together, on top, they added more! Mind you, there's a policy of $0.5/pcs for left over food. So now what? We have to finish all. We got ourself jammed with 50 pcs of sushi and shashimi, we can't even try other food. We had to tell them to stop bringing the food up.

Cost? $20.99/person. Two person = $41.98. 10% service charge = $4.2 and of course tax on top. Guess what? They charged us $41.98+tax then 10% on the total = $4.9 in service charge??

I wasn't the only one that got upset. THe two table next to me turns out to be a "walk in" customer as well. Co-incidence, they got the exact same service. They told me they rather drive to markham than wasting money there. What does that tell us?

I would stay away from them until other positive review comes up. I was a very very very upset customer seeing them serving all their friends and family before us. Kicking us away from a table because their friends wanted it. Missing order of food, then just throw us a plate of rice to make us full. Charge us service charge on the taxed amount. I think this is as bad as customer service can go. Food is decent, but service is horrible. Why don't i go to T&T and buy some Japanese food for less money. At least i wont' expect customer service, on top of that, I can sit in front of my TV watching my favourite TV show while enjoying JAPANESE food. Enough said, horrible restruant, don't WASTE your money there, please do yourself a favour.

In order to survive in this competitive market of business, customer service could be the key.

Chris
126 replies
Deal Addict
May 5, 2005
2206 posts
1 upvote
GIVE UP ON AYCE!

[QUOTE]Cost? $20.99/person. Two person = $41.98. 10% service charge = $4.2 and of course tax on top. Guess what? They charged us $41.98+tax then 10% on the total = $4.9 in service charge??[/QUOTE]

you could have eaten at a Chinese restaurant for the same price AND brought home leftovers.

order
fried or steamed sea bass
e-Fu noodles or Cantonese noodles
deep-fried sweet and sour fish
fried rice with salted fish and chicken
fried shrimp
mmmmmmmmmm

AYCE = no leftovers
Nov 9, 2004
239 posts
OMG, i was at the restaurant too!!! Where were you sitting? I was with my family (3 of us) sitting near the sushi bar. Are you the one who we asked 'we thought it was weird that the two of you were eating such a big plate of sushi.'? I mean, the food wasn't bad but it took so long that we constantly feel hungry. We ordered few pieces of sashimi and they must have brought out 30 for us (not that we're complaining but that filled us up and we can't eat the other food). The waiters look very lost and the 10% service charge is just absolutely pathetic. They don't deserve the 10%, certainly not the way they were running around tonight. We got an ordering sheet with orders on it already initially, wth!

There was this guy in suit just floating around (like a cop on walking and policing on the street) and doing NOTHING... absolutely nothing!

Good thing is they give pop by the cans so you can ask for a couple more to enjoy after you leave. :D Least they can do after dinging people 10% service charge involuntarily.

Most people there were friends of the owner, so obviously they get preferential treatment by having their food faster... which I don't think is right. We're all customers and if they think just having their friends as customer is enough, they should just not open the restaurant and invite them over to their house.

Enough said!
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Thanks for the info. People at work were looking for places like this for lunch but I will blacklist Maki Maki for now.

But keep in mind it is a new restaurant so maybe their service just has some kinks to work out before it is running smoothly.
Nov 9, 2004
239 posts
keanefan wrote:GIVE UP ON AYCE!

you could have eaten at a Chinese restaurant for the same price AND brought home leftovers.

order
fried or steamed sea bass
e-Fu noodles or Cantonese noodles
deep-fried sweet and sour fish
fried rice with salted fish and chicken
fried shrimp
mmmmmmmmmm

AYCE = no leftovers
It's different, if the food came out fast and service is good, I have no problem paying that kind of money. The food were actually not bad, just that the speed of it (we were there for 3 hours) really killed the mood of it.

I am a bit sick of chinese food everyday, AYCE japanese is something different once in a while.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2003
7387 posts
3684 upvotes
GTA
Jucius Maximus wrote:Thanks for the info. People at work were looking for places like this for lunch but I will blacklist Maki Maki for now.

But keep in mind it is a new restaurant so maybe their service just has some kinks to work out before it is running smoothly.
Let's HOPE for that. I wouldn't mind going back if they make a change. But this REALLY gave me a bad impression about the restruant. Especially the "friends come first" part.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2005
2030 posts
490 upvotes
Should've went to Umi.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
1362 posts
toronto
Jucius Maximus wrote:Thanks for the info. People at work were looking for places like this for lunch but I will blacklist Maki Maki for now.

Where is this place?
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2003
7387 posts
3684 upvotes
GTA
bumhamthorpe + Mavis is major intersection

Grand park drive + bumhamthorpe is the actual intersection where there's a Tim Horton.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2006
1144 posts
3 upvotes
North York
keanefan wrote:GIVE UP ON AYCE!
I agree, I think people just expect too much when they go to an AYCE restaurant.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
1386 posts
13 upvotes
somemale wrote:I agree, I think people just expect too much when they go to an AYCE restaurant.
No, i think the OP is right. Some of the japanese AYCEs I went to actually had decent service and food that's timed right. I don't want to wait 30 minutes for first dish and 2nd dish after another 30 minutes.
Dec 26, 2004
292 posts
10 upvotes
Mississauga
cy wrote:bumhamthorpe + Mavis is major intersection

Grand park drive + bumhamthorpe is the actual intersection where there's a Tim Horton.
so is this UMI then?
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2002
1680 posts
3 upvotes
I guess it's somewhat understandable tho..

If you just opened and restaruant and have family/friends that supported you all the way you'd want to try and be nice to them

It's inexcusable that they totally ignored their "paying" customers but I can see how it happened.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2006
1379 posts
609 upvotes
Toronto
Another bad review on an AYCE Mississauga Sushi place... I gave a thumbs down to Mojimi last week... practically the same kinda review too... terrible service.

1 more place to try though... Umi... we'll see what happens.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2002
1680 posts
3 upvotes
don't forget hon tei :)
Banned
Jul 18, 2006
607 posts
1 upvote
OP, at this AYCE place, bring along a sturdy plastic bag, and dump all you CANNOT eat into this. Throw it under another table or anywhere in the bathroom garbage when you feel it's safe to do so.

Do this only if you feel the service was horrible. At least you SHOULD have done this, not that you should do it in the future just because you feel like it. If the service is bad, then do it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 19, 2003
8137 posts
770 upvotes
never will match HoSu on the east side, the one that was beside the KBBQ AYCE and closed down

they pushed out food UNcooked and expected us to eat it. also, everything tasted like **** and wasn't prepared properly

Another place to avoid in Mississauga:
Yummy BBQ near Hurontario/Dundas
-Absolute **** food, "sweet n sour something" that tasted rotten and the dishes were all mediocre or worse
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
cy wrote:bumhamthorpe + Mavis is major intersection

Actually there is no Tim's at that intersection. The closest Tim's is farther East on Mavis in front of Square One.

Now there is a Country Style Donuts just West of Grand park drive & Bumhamthorpe near the Esso station, but no Tim's.

If you head South on Grand Park Drive, the first thing you will pass is a plaza with Shoppers Drug Mart, Staples, Winners, etc. In that plaza is Umi Sushi and a Vietnamese place called Pho Mi.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
Jucius Maximus wrote:Actually there is no Tim's at that intersection. The closest Tim's is farther East on Mavis in front of Square One.

Now there is a Country Style Donuts just West of Grand park drive & Bumhamthorpe near the Esso station, but no Tim's.

If you head South on Grand Park Drive, the first thing you will pass is a plaza with Shoppers Drug Mart, Staples, Winners, etc. In that plaza is Umi Sushi and a Vietnamese place called Pho Mi.
There is a Tim Hortons/Wendy's on the corner of Central Parkway and Mavis (which is right across the street from the Grand Park plaza). UMI Sushi is in the plaza right next to T&T, with Winners and Staples.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Raggie wrote:There is a Tim Hortons/Wendy's on the corner of Central Parkway and Mavis (which is right across the street from the Grand Park plaza). UMI Sushi is in the plaza right next to T&T, with Winners and Staples.
OK, I didn't know about that one. It looks to be a shade closer than the Tim's in front of Square One. Thanks for the info. :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)