• Jan 26th, 2015 8:44 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 20, 2011
38 posts
4 upvotes
WOODBRIDGE

Warning with Primus

I signed up for Home and Internet services with Primus Telecommunications back in April of 2014. To get our Internet service activated itself took nearly 5 weeks and this isn't even the biggest problem.

When my Internet service was finally activated in May of 2014, everything seemed fine. I was glad to finally have Internet and just put up with it to get back with the work I needed to get done during the downtime.

In January of 2015, I noticed that the speeds were chugging; pictures took a while to download, uploading photos took hours, streaming was constantly buffering. I investigated this by running some speed tests and found out I have been getting 3Mbps download speeds when I signed up for 25Mbps!!!!!

I called Tech Support and they promised the problem would be rectified in less than 3 days. A week and a half later I finally got the proper Internet speed I should be getting. On the phone, tech support even suggested I call customer service to get a credit for all the months I haven't been getting service because as a customer "it was unfair".

I made a call to their Billing Department and that led nowhere. Only got a small credit for the week and a half it took to get my speed back up, and there was no manager to listen to my story of not getting the service I was supposed to be delivered.

I had to tweet to @PrimusHelps to even get the ball rolling on the technical fixes.

It has been a nightmare. They called my house after tweeting to their page and they said they can only credit me for this month because we must notify them within 45 days of the invoice for any disputes.

Basically, he told me that you're screwed, thanks for the money, you can't get it back and we won't credit the future months for a mistake on our part, but here's a $15 credit as a courtesy.

I really hope this isn't happening to anyone else signed up with Primus or any ISP; especially the not-so technologically-savvy who don't know how to check their Internet speeds and are probably paying for a service they are not getting.

Nothing seems to get done in their organization unless it's brought into the social media spotlight.

I've already emailed this story to several news outlets, tweeted them, the whole nine yards. Does anyone know if I have any advantage in this situation?
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
7228 posts
709 upvotes
Waterloo
dont blame primus there a 3rd party blame rogers or bell i understand its a hassle sometimes dealing with 3rd party but there hands are tied
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2023 upvotes
Nowhere
sassysue wrote:
Jan 26th, 2015 1:58 pm
dont blame primus there a 3rd party blame rogers or bell i understand its a hassle sometimes dealing with 3rd party but there hands are tied
There is only so much blame you can attribute to a 3rd party. The OP is Primus' customer, Primus needs to go after Bell if there is an issue with Bell. But Primus is known for terrible service. My father had a nightmare experience with Primus as well. They even cut off his internet two weeks early even though he had given the required 30 days notice and then charged him a ridiculous early cancellation fee that was significantly more than a month's service let alone the 2 weeks. They were impossible to deal with. The CSRs were rude and refused to help. When I got involved, I was hung up on when I asked for a supervisor. When I finally got a supervisor, she was equally unhelpful. I would have escalated further but my father was so frustrated and just wanted to be done with them that he just paid the cancellation fee.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
7228 posts
709 upvotes
Waterloo
i had primus before and i agree worst customer service experience ever now im with acanac and never have any issues
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
2746 posts
1311 upvotes
Edmonton
Unfortunately, you get what you pay for. Primus is a reseller and you will only get the better service from the big guns. I've been there and done trying to save money when I have to compromise service. Jump ship!
[OP]
Jun 20, 2011
38 posts
4 upvotes
WOODBRIDGE
sassysue wrote:
Jan 26th, 2015 1:58 pm
I agree with you; it was a Bell tech who did the initial set up outside of our home, but he put us on the wrong loop. Complete incompetence if you ask me. Primus tech support even downplays the Bell techs they have to send out. I just hope no one else is getting screwed like this.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2023 upvotes
Nowhere
starchoice wrote:
Jan 26th, 2015 2:32 pm
Unfortunately, you get what you pay for. Primus is a reseller and you will only get the better service from the big guns. I've been there and done trying to save money when I have to compromise service. Jump ship!
Not true. I had horrible service from Bell (like so many others) which was why I moved to Teksavvy. Teksavvy has gone down in recent years but it will never even come close to being as bad as Bell and the other big guns.
Mar 26, 2010
854 posts
57 upvotes
Scarborough
Primus is terrible. They didn't want to refund me any money for providing a broken internet connection for two months, so I wrote a review on dslreports.com and they refunded me some of the money. I'll never go back to them, not worth it. I spent too much time talking to them, and they kept running me in circles.