Scammers and Warnings

Warning: Scam for high end name brand clothing

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2017 12:02 pm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
7992 posts
Had the same pitch few years ago in the SQ One parking lot, except the story then was that he had just finished a fashion show and had all these clothes that he didn't want to take back with him.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
This was on the radio today. It was not briefly mentioned, they spent a good five minutes describing the scam.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
2239 posts
[IMG] ... 864385.jpg[/IMG]

Sorry... but really the old saying caveat emptor rings true. I agree with MrKapp, he isn't misrepresenting the product at all. You either want to buy it or not.. Same with the whit van 'scam' - they say it's high quality equipment, so what... Take a look at it and if you don't agree, don't buy the stuff.

I live on the third floor of a military dorm (it's the top floor), I call it my penthouse suite... is it? NOPE but I still call it that to other people.
Feb 2, 2009
502 posts
Well, looked like today was my lucky day because it was my turn to be approached by this Italiano, "Antonio", an Armani clothing designer. This happened in the Eagleson park and ride in Western Ottawa. Pretty similar pitch:
works for Armani as a clothing designer;
came to Canada for a trade show;
heading back to Italy tomorrow morning;
couldn't find his way to Montreal and asked me how to get to 417 (I thought, WTF, 417 is literally behind you! So something was fishy).
I gave him the direction. As a thank you gesture, he wanted to thank me with a token of appreciation;
He stopped the car and started pulling up those leather look-alike jackets, and showed the label "something Armani" and proceeded to take out a cigarette lighter and lit up a fire close to the jacket and showed me that it was real because it was burnt (I wouldn't know either way!)
then he not only wanted to thank me with one leather jacket that retailed for over $1000+taxes, but four, one for the wife :) He didn't want to pay thousands of dollars as tax in shipping them back to Italy and he couldn't find one single Italian today(supposed he would want to give those goods to his own people).
He insisted I held the shopping bag and he put the four jackets in it.
He told they were gifts for me...then he said, he just needed a small favour. You see, tomorrow would be his son's 10 year old birthday and he desperately wanted to give him something. I asked what he wanted to give to his son. He said an IPAD 3 and asked me if I knew about it. At that point, I figured I should really go home. I pretended I never heard of IPAD, and he started getting really irritated. I handed him the bag back and wish him a good journey to back home.

This Italiano drove a SUV with a license plate BXXT 612. At some point during the show, I asked for his phone number, he gave me a 416 number saying that was his Canadian based number. I ranged it with my cell, sure enough, his Iphone picked it up. Well, if you are reading this, "Antonio", it was nice meeting you :)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8452 posts
makaveli191 wrote:
May 30th, 2012 7:17 am
Sarcasm? You buy counterfeit clothes? I agree it's a bit much to call it a scam without more information, but I heard that exact same pitch as OP.

GTA must be full of cheap Italian foreigners who don't want to pay thousands of dollars worth of product.

It doesn't pass the smell test. I know of some places where you van get some crazy deals for audio systems if you like.

Hint: look for a white van in a random parking lot
The last time those guys approached me they were selling speaker systems and projectors but they've moved up to Cadillacs that reak of weed smoke smell... When I asked he said he had none of that to sell unfortunately haha
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14342 posts
XtremeModder wrote:
Jul 27th, 2013 10:51 am
The last time those guys approached me they were selling speaker systems and projectors but they've moved up to Cadillacs that reak of weed smoke smell... When I asked he said he had none of that to sell unfortunately haha
Horrible inventory managing skills.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4778 posts
A guy at Esso gas station was trying to sell a Samsung galaxy to people, lol

Once I started taking down his license plate number he got in his car and took off, lol. When confronted he said he had a business license and he was allowed to sell it anywhere.

They disappear really fast when you start dialing the police station number....tell em you need to verify with police about their business @ whatever place
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2010
1985 posts

Everyone is lucky to find these Italian sellers except me.
Penalty Box
Aug 20, 2012
10421 posts
Pacific Ocean
Mehhh... this scam has been going on a while. Saw this post in 2011.

Italian Style Clothing - GA Milano leather jacket scam
by Vanguy Mar 20, 2011 ... 680/2.html

Company Italian Style Clothing
Product / Service GA Milano Leather Jackets
Location Vancouver, British Columbia
Category Footwear and Clothing
Views 2828

In Vancouver, BC 5:15pm March 19, 2011 at Waterloo and W.Broadway.

I had just come out of the bank and a guy pulled up in a new black Chrysler 300C drove up and stopped. He rolled down the window and told me he was lost and asked if I could give him direction to the airport. Well dressed and well spoken with an Italian accent. I gave him directions and he offered my a leather jacket to thank me.

Thought he was very gracious and refused, he insisted and introduced himself as Aldo a representative from an italian company that sold high end leather jackets, Armani, Gucci, GA Milano, etc. Told me he had been in a show at the Convention Centre and had these samples (they were labelled sample) left and didn't really want to take them back to Italy. He then offered to give me the rest of the jackets he had if I were to buy one for $1500. I declined but eventually ended up giving him $300 for seven jackets.

Two in a brown suede material and five black "leather" jackets, various styles. They were all wrapped in plastic with GA Milano lablels. They are not leather but rather what I'm told is referred to as "Pleather" made of a PLC derivative which actually feels, to my touch, very much like my good leather coat, (see how good my touch is). Smooth talker, very personable, had a map of Vancouver on the dash and what looked like an airline ticket folder visibe:.

He had an Italian passport in the compartment between the seats that showed he had been in Uruguay and Chile in the past month|. Very smooth'. Felt like a dummy afterwards, but will offer them to some of my staff'. He is a w/m, 6" tall, 185 lbs, italian accent, dark hair, very well groomed and very well dressed?.

I knew I had been ripped right after it happened, remembering the "if it is too good to be true, it is too good to be true" mantra;. I jumped on the computer and was floored to see the extent of this scam?.

Reports from different Europe, USA and Canada that are very similar. 67c45a
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
19492 posts
Poormond Hill
For those who have been approached by these scammers, can you tell the difference between a genuine one and a fake one?
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Jul 3, 2006
227 posts
This exact same guy stopped me while I was walking downtown a couple years ago. He game me the same sales pitch and the same card.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)