• Nov 24th, 2017 12:02 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2007
1908 posts
81 upvotes
Mississauga
Same thing for me in Southern Mississauga - this time with watches. Claims to have been at a watch convention and needs to sell his remaining watches before he goes back to Italy or he will have to pay massive tax.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
15548 posts
1196 upvotes
Thornhill
Was it at a mall? Tell him you work at the Armani store inside and would like to check the tags for authenticity.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
12389 posts
3008 upvotes
Here 'n There
Ironsmack wrote:
May 30th, 2012 1:45 am
So i was in the parking lot of a brampton mall and i was texting my friend inside my car. Some dude parked beside me and started doing his sales pitch about his "High End" clothing surplus. He said he was in town for some fashion show and doesnt want to pay taxes, blah blah. I let him do his sales pitch.

But i manage to film halfway through his pitch.

Also, this is what his card looks like:

[IMG]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-CLvF ... AG0675.jpg[/IMG]

Just a head of warning :cheesygri
Guy selling stuff out of his car in a parking lot. Hmmm, what was you first clue? LMAO!
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11594 posts
1654 upvotes
City of Vancouver
We need someone to capture a screen shot of the scammer's face.

The accent seems real?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Aug 28, 2010
998 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
Same dude gave me the sales pitch at Hwy 427 and hwy 27
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7260 posts
512 upvotes
Toronto
I don't know anything about fashion, I don't read GQ and don't know much about armani.

I saw those photos and even I was like that logo doesn't look right. Isn't armani some sort of stylized eagle V looking thing.

Sure enough I googled the logo and that EA crap doesn't even look close to similar to the real logo.

A fool and his money...
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2007
1908 posts
81 upvotes
Mississauga
Becks wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2015 8:13 pm
We need someone to capture a screen shot of the scammer's face.

The accent seems real?
Real accent. Even real looking Italian passport (for the quick second he flashed it).

Black ford edge. I have the plate # too
Nov 24, 2013
222 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto
And this has been going on for how many years? Are the police just incompetent or do they just not care?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2007
1908 posts
81 upvotes
Mississauga
jankay wrote:
Mar 25th, 2015 2:48 pm
And this has been going on for how many years? Are the police just incompetent or do they just not care?
Whats illegal? At least in my case, the guy was quite careful not to claim they were something they were not. Sleazy sales sure, but I doubt what they do is illegal. Even if it was, you really think police have resources to track down something as minimal as this?
Nov 24, 2013
222 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto
fido1984 wrote:
Mar 25th, 2015 3:40 pm
Whats illegal? At least in my case, the guy was quite careful not to claim they were something they were not. Sleazy sales sure, but I doubt what they do is illegal. Even if it was, you really think police have resources to track down something as minimal as this?
I don't know for a fact whether what he is doing illegal or not but if it is then I dont think this case is as petty as you say so considering the number of people who have been scammed over the years (provided that it is illegal of course).
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2007
1908 posts
81 upvotes
Mississauga
jankay wrote:
Mar 25th, 2015 7:49 pm
I don't know for a fact whether what he is doing illegal or not but if it is then I dont think this case is as petty as you say so considering the number of people who have been scammed over the years (provided that it is illegal of course).
For the sake of argument, assuming it is illegal, how many victims do you think there would be in any one jurisdiction? Probably not enough for the local police to devote resources to stop it unless someone gets significant evidence of the crime. Also, I'd assume this is more of a buyer beware type of incident. I mean really, you're buying something out of the back of a vehicle....
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9011 posts
3449 upvotes
Toronto
Happened to me by Dufferin & Steeles parking lot. Two italian guys pulled up beside my car, I told them my profession and they go on asking where's the Airport as according to one of them, are lost....lol..... and driving a porsche. Hahaha....

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Apr 23, 2014
848 posts
249 upvotes
GTA, ON
5 years after OP's experience- same stuff happened to me in TD bank, Mississauga. Looks like it was a different guy perpetrating the scam, but the same general script.

He asked for directions to the airport, thanked me profusely and insisted on giving me free Armani leather jackets (since he was done with his sales convention, and if he takes it back to Italy he would have to pay duty). I refused stating I can't accept- he said if it would make me feel better, maybe help pay for his daughter's iphone.

I said that i was broke- thanks but no thanks. Have never seen an expression change from being so friendly to downright morose!
Sep 14, 2007
612 posts
165 upvotes
Aldersyde, AB
Happens in Calgary too. Was approached in a HD parking lot 4 years ago by an older gentleman with exact same pitch for shirts and suits. I speak italian and he did as well. Told him I have a closet full of suits with tags on but he still persisted.

Well across the street in Lowe's parking lot yesterday, exact same thing. Black Ford Edge and different guy, but this time Armani leather jackets. Recognized scam right away and had some time so thought I'd mess with him. Phony italian accent and dressed like going to play inner city basketball. Says to me 'You look italian' and asks if I speak. I said 'Very little' so he rambles off something that resembles gibberish so I reply with three sentences in italian and he says 'maybe we speak english' Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes My best guess is he's russian. Worst italian accent I've heard. Kevin Kline is more believable.

Somehow, he has three jackets in my size and wants to give me as a gift for giving directions to the airport. Bags them up, hands to me, says thank you and gets in the vehicle. I wait, wait, wait. Start to walk away and then he yells out, 'think you could help me out with some cash to get some gifts for my family?' Offer $20 but he doesn't accept. Wants to follow me to Best Buy to purchase iPad, headphones etc. I tell him if my boss will let me use company credit card, I'll do it. I pretend to phone my 'boss', really my nephew, and get declined. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes I run story after story and after 45 minutes, he's so pissed off, takes back bag and drives away.

He actually took a lighter to the jackets to somehow show they are not flammable.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)