Shopping Discussion

Warning SCAM- Renuvica and Nuvella creams online order

[OP]
Mar 19, 2015
37 posts
1 upvote

Warning SCAM- Renuvica and Nuvella creams online order

While browsing the internet my sister somehow ended up on this company's website and out of curiosity placed order. They initially charged $15 and sent 2 bottles of cream. Now yesterday she saw a charge of $161 on her credit card and she called them and now they are telling her that she agreed for the trial period and they can refund her only 50% of the $161!

Has anyone encountered this type of fraud? What can she do? Can she go to RCMP or Police for this?
Last edited by AnitaTh on Mar 24th, 2017 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thread Summary
Test
85 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
1942 posts
886 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Happens all the time.

Strictly speaking, it's not a fraud. Somewhere in the T&C that 'your sister' agreed to when making the initial discounted purchase, there is a clause that allows for regular purchases at the higher price.

'Your sister' clicked on 'I agree' or something similar, likely even agreeing also that she had read the T&C, when she apparently didn't.

She can contact her CC and ask for a chargeback - they may or may not, since the company will be able to provide proof that 'your sister' agreed to this purchase through the T&C. She should definitely contact them to prevent future charges.

'Your sister' should also contact the seller and make it clear that she no longer wants to participate in any subscription services for this product and let them know that they are no longer authorised to charge the credit card.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Sep 8, 2006
392 posts
150 upvotes
Edmonton
AnitaTh wrote:
Mar 24th, 2017 9:17 am
While browsing the internet my sister somehow ended up on this company's website and out of curiosity placed order. They initially charged $15 and sent 2 bottles of cream. Now yesterday she saw a charge of $161 on her credit card and she called them and now they are telling her that she agreed for the trial period and they can refund her only 50% of the $161!

Has anyone encountered this type of fraud? What can she do? Can she go to RCMP or Police for this?
Have her cancel her credit card right away / issue new card with different number so that they can't make subsequent charges when you are pursuing the charge back.
[OP]
Mar 19, 2015
37 posts
1 upvote
She has called them and told to cancel her account. She sent an email also with the same details. She tells me that there was nothing mentioned about the trial period or anything. Right now she is waiting to get refund of 50% after that she can cancel the card, right? If she changes it now she won't get that refund.

I am reading others also scammed like this form different company. Seems Police and card companies knows about it but not doing anything!
Simby wrote:
Mar 24th, 2017 11:02 am
Have her cancel her credit card right away / issue new card with different number so that they can't make subsequent charges when you are pursuing the charge back.
[OP]
Mar 19, 2015
37 posts
1 upvote
They are telling her that trial period was for 14 days. She received her items on 13 March, so trial period ends on 27th March. Hopefully she can get full refund!

She tells me that before she could read that anything page changed! Now she learned lesson;)
ALLCAPS wrote:
Mar 24th, 2017 9:58 am
Happens all the time.

Strictly speaking, it's not a fraud. Somewhere in the T&C that 'your sister' agreed to when making the initial discounted purchase, there is a clause that allows for regular purchases at the higher price.

'Your sister' clicked on 'I agree' or something similar, likely even agreeing also that she had read the T&C, when she apparently didn't.

She can contact her CC and ask for a chargeback - they may or may not, since the company will be able to provide proof that 'your sister' agreed to this purchase through the T&C. She should definitely contact them to prevent future charges.

'Your sister' should also contact the seller and make it clear that she no longer wants to participate in any subscription services for this product and let them know that they are no longer authorised to charge the credit card.
[OP]
Mar 19, 2015
37 posts
1 upvote
They gave me address of that company -Nuvella Ltd., 1116 Wilson Ave, Toronto and google maps shows that's an address of Shopping mall. Can she go to the police with this information?
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
3963 posts
1732 upvotes
:lol: Go to the police? Police won't do anything because your sister didn't read what she was getting into. If you file chargeback with the credit card issuer, they will send proof that there is a fine-print, and your sister agreed to it even if it is without reading, and the chargeback will be refused. Contact the company, they know they are sketchy but they do it legally, get whatever refund you can, and take it as a lesson learned.

Source: Second hand experience
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1018 posts
446 upvotes
Somewhere, ON
This has been well documented over the years. Incidentally the 14 days start when the order is placed. Here are the latest two reports on this type of product:

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/consumer-charged-4 ... -1.3239027
https://www.thestar.com/business/person ... seman.html
“When you marry the right woman, you are ‘complete.’ If you marry the wrong woman, you are ‘finished.’ And, if the right one catches you with the wrong one, you are ‘completely finished.'"
Nov 18, 2013
169 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
Take the 50% refund, cancel the card and lesson learned. You won't get anymore back than that. They have all the legalities worked out in their terms and conditions and there's no way around it. The credit card companies hear about this repeatedly and they can't do anything about it because legally, the terms were accepted when the "trial" purchase was made.

Bunch of scumbag scammers.........
Mar 25, 2017
1 posts
AnitaTh wrote:
Mar 24th, 2017 9:17 am

Yes I was caught with the same hook. I agree with everything you have said. It was very clear to me that it was a free trial, no mention of 14 days, and even the postage ended up being more than the amount advertised. They also sent their Renuvica cream that I had declined. I also paid two other amounts from somewhere in Ireland on the same deal. Altogether just over C$14. 00 instead of the C$1.95 advertised originally. I spent almost an hour on the phone to the company in Florida, Beauty Impressions, and the most they would offer is the 50% refund on the $161.25 charge for what is really just a sample bottle.

I have also arranged to send back the Renuvica on the understanding that my "subscription" to that product will be cancelled when they receive the return. Otherwise I would be looking at paying another exorbitant amount for that small jar. I will see what I can do about getting the charge reversed on my credit card and cancelling my card. Altogether it has been a lesson in not buying something through these types of unknown suppliers.
Mar 26, 2017
2 posts
I had a similar experience but may have a better outcome. I too ordered the "free" sample of "Nuvella" and received a tub of "Rejuvica" with my order, even though I did not order it. I too had multiple charges for shipping and handling (4 different companies). I was alerted by my credit card company that an authorization for $149 occurred on Sunday morning just after midnight on the 14th a.m. I set up these alerts with VISA months ago, they are annoying but this time it paid off. I was able to cancel on the 14th day, which should mean that I get a full refund.

The skin cream company, which changes it's name constantly, still charged my card $149 then offered a 30%, then a 50% refund, instead of the 100% refund that I am owed. I got a Return Authorization # for the Rejuvica and shipped it back via Canada Post for $15 (with a tracking #). I spoke to VISA, who at first said that since I accepted the 50% refund I could not make a dispute. Again I argued, I did not accept a 50% refund as final payment. I told VISA that I told the skin cream company " go ahead and deposit whatever you want into my credit card account, I am owed a 100% refund". VISA finally said that based on the email records and my bank records, I was within the 14 day window, and once my returned product has been verified, VISA will proceed with the dispute. Wish me luck.

This kind of fraud is disgraceful. Thousands of people are being swindled by unscrupulous thieves who are getting away with it because of a poorly regulated and monitored on-line market. Even my bank was reluctant to dispute this charge, based on the historical successes of this company against their complainants . I would aggressively participate in any co-operative movement against this and other companies taking advantage of on-line buyers and making a bad name for on-line business. This smells like a natural for a class-action lawsuit.
Mar 26, 2017
1 posts
Careful about this free trial scam. the terms and conditions are not visible, this free trial is a trick to trap you. after loading google chrome beta a pup-up showed up asking to claim a free product for loading the app, asking to pay $1.99 for the delivery using credit card only . 15 days later $149.99 another transaction went to my credit card.. that's when i heard about.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

OFFER TERMS: By placing an order, you will pay USD$4.95 Shipping & Handling to receive a 30 day supply. You will also be automatically enrolled in our membership program. The program will charge you USD$109.79 on the 15th day of your order date for a monthly supply and USD$109.79 every 30 days thereafter until you cancel. You can cancel at any time by calling 855-456-1836. If you cancel before the 15th day of your order date, you pay the USD$4.95 S&H of your 30 day supply. If you cancel after the 15th day of your order date, you shall pay for the 30 day supply plus any future supplies without refund.

CAREFULLY READ AND UNDERSTAND THESE TERMS BEFORE ORDERING ANY PRODUCT THROUGH THIS WEBSITE ATTENTION:
[OP]
Mar 19, 2015
37 posts
1 upvote
Completely agree with you. She got her 50% refund but lost $81 for 2 bottles of cream- Such an expensive lesson! She has not opened bottles and now afraid to use it- you never know what is inside by scumbags!

We wish we can do something like a class action lawsuit against them.

I tried to see how she was duped- tried to order online with prepaid card with $2 balance and saw that T & C were not visible at all! Going to try and take screen shots. Her Tangerine master card CSR were not helpful at all. It seems that all Credit card companies they know those merchants but are not doing anything to protect innocent customers.
garybirch7 wrote:
Mar 27th, 2017 9:10 pm
I had a similar experience but may have a better outcome. I too ordered the "free" sample of "Nuvella" and received a tub of "Rejuvica" with my order, even though I did not order it. I too had multiple charges for shipping and handling (4 different companies). I was alerted by my credit card company that an authorization for $149 occurred on Sunday morning just after midnight on the 14th a.m. I set up these alerts with VISA months ago, they are annoying but this time it paid off. I was able to cancel on the 14th day, which should mean that I get a full refund.

The skin cream company, which changes it's name constantly, still charged my card $149 then offered a 30%, then a 50% refund, instead of the 100% refund that I am owed. I got a Return Authorization # for the Rejuvica and shipped it back via Canada Post for $15 (with a tracking #). I spoke to VISA, who at first said that since I accepted the 50% refund I could not make a dispute. Again I argued, I did not accept a 50% refund as final payment. I told VISA that I told the skin cream company " go ahead and deposit whatever you want into my credit card account, I am owed a 100% refund". VISA finally said that based on the email records and my bank records, I was within the 14 day window, and once my returned product has been verified, VISA will proceed with the dispute. Wish me luck.

This kind of fraud is disgraceful. Thousands of people are being swindled by unscrupulous thieves who are getting away with it because of a poorly regulated and monitored on-line market. Even my bank was reluctant to dispute this charge, based on the historical successes of this company against their complainants . I would aggressively participate in any co-operative movement against this and other companies taking advantage of on-line buyers and making a bad name for on-line business. This smells like a natural for a class-action lawsuit.
Mar 26, 2017
2 posts
...to clarify, they charged my credit card card on the 14th day of our "agreement". Their Terms and Conditions clearly say the card will be charged on the 15th day. I would guess that I, and anyone else in my position has a strong legal argument to recover the entire refund based in this point alone. Be careful to check the date that you were charged.

The other issue - the 2nd product sent but not ordered is behind this whole problem. I will be following up on this scam and will update you.
Mar 31, 2017
1 posts
1 upvote
Caught in this as well, last night. not sure if everyone else received a call once you completed the purchase. they said that my card didn't go through. That's what triggered me to believe there was a problem with this whole thing. I told them to cancel the order immediately several times. She wanted to put me through to her supervisor and I said no again and to cancel the order. she said that since my card did not go through there was no order. I checked my email right after and there was no message about the order last night but this morning there wer 2 messages about the orders , one of which I didn't order. I called my cc - BMO and they were fully aware of this company and the scamming they are doing He said the 2 small amounts were in fact charged to my account. We cancelled the card immediately. I'm usually skeptical about these things but they used a veil of an article with the Sharks Tank cast to validate it. All for a little vanity. Hopefully we can get the message out to our friends and family.