Shopping Discussion

Warning SCAM- Renuvica and Nuvella creams online order

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 22nd, 2017 8:36 pm
Tags:
Apr 2, 2017
7 posts
1 upvote
Exactly the same thing happened to me...I saw it on FB and thought I would try it...my CREDIT CARD COMPANY phoned me to warn me...nothing they could do about the charge but to tell me to phone this bunch of SCAMMERS and get a cancellation number from them at least stopping them from anymore charges!! If the credit card companies are aware of these thieves why are they still allowed to operate ?
Apr 2, 2017
4 posts
Fell for it as well because they linked the product sample page to a Costco survey. And nowhere in the webpages before validating your credit card information did they indicate the order is attached to any sort of membership. But once they verified the credit card information, they already have all your personal info. In all respects, this sounds like a scam so I fail to understand why it's so hard to prosecute against them. Last time I checked, the definition of free product sample means free product sample, not 50% off product sample in 15 days and 100% in 30 days. To the best of my limited understanding of English, that's not free; that's called a trial.

Either way, don't know about the other provinces, but according to Ontario's Consumer Protection Act, "You don’t need to give the business a reason for cancelling. For most contracts, the company has 15 days to return your money...If the contract was for a product, they are responsible for picking up the product or paying for it to be picked up if they want it back."

So you don't have to send it back as per their request. If they want it, they have to come get it.

In addition, please help everyone else out by reporting them to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre by calling 1-888-495-8501 or emailing info@antifraudcentre.ca. If they receive enough complaints, they will help shut them down. Obviously, it will just pop up again under a different name, but if you do nothing about it, it will just keep perpetuating itself. Personally, I'd like to do what I can to make their life as difficult as possible. And yes, I cancelled my card already and filed a complaint. But since my credit card company is not willing to protect me, I've applied to another card elsewhere.
Apr 2, 2017
7 posts
1 upvote
Thank you for the email address...I have just sent off an email asking why, since this "company" is so well known to them, all the cc companies etc they are not being shut down? I also note that almost everyone is cancelling their credit cards...Capital One just told me to get a cancellation number from the scum of the earth and I would be good....is this enough? I must stress that Capital One were right on top of this and phoned me right away .
Apr 2, 2017
7 posts
1 upvote
That email address is NOT good.. my email was returned to me :(
Oct 13, 2014
785 posts
291 upvotes
Somewhere, ON
yangdt00 wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2017 8:24 pm
Either way, don't know about the other provinces, but according to Ontario's Consumer Protection Act, "You don’t need to give the business a reason for cancelling. For most contracts, the company has 15 days to return your money...If the contract was for a product, they are responsible for picking up the product or paying for it to be picked up if they want it back."
That is of little benefit since our Provincial Legislation is not extra-territorial and those companies tend to not have a Canadian presence.
“When you marry the right woman, you are ‘complete.’ If you marry the wrong woman, you are ‘finished.’ And, if the right one catches you with the wrong one, you are ‘completely finished.'"
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
8568 posts
2744 upvotes
Ottawa
rcmpvet wrote:
Apr 4th, 2017 7:15 am
That is of little benefit since our Provincial Legislation is not extra-territorial and those companies tend to not have a Canadian presence.
Username checks out. Winking Face
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Oct 13, 2014
785 posts
291 upvotes
Somewhere, ON
^^^^^ - ??? Lost me there.
“When you marry the right woman, you are ‘complete.’ If you marry the wrong woman, you are ‘finished.’ And, if the right one catches you with the wrong one, you are ‘completely finished.'"
Apr 2, 2017
4 posts
Either way their return address is a Canadian postal code and they have separate customer service phone number for their Canadian accounts. I tried calling the US number and they didn't have my account on file. This means if they want to come after me for membership, when they're clearing running a scam and have little chance of winning, I wholly welcome it. I will not be travelling to the US and if they decide to charge me in Ontario, I'm protected by Ontario laws. Plus, if they do decide to come after me in court, I can return the products in court when I see them, effectively rendering their case obsolete.

No matter what, they'll have just as difficult a time prosecuting me as I will trying to prosecute them. The point is, whoever has the cash will be the winner. And since I haven't paid them yet, they're going to have a very difficult time collecting.
Last edited by yangdt00 on Apr 4th, 2017 10:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Apr 2, 2017
4 posts
MaureenS wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2017 10:42 pm
Thank you for the email address...I have just sent off an email asking why, since this "company" is so well known to them, all the cc companies etc they are not being shut down? I also note that almost everyone is cancelling their credit cards...Capital One just told me to get a cancellation number from the scum of the earth and I would be good....is this enough? I must stress that Capital One were right on top of this and phoned me right away .

That email address is NOT good.. my email was returned to me :(
Sorry, you're right. Seems like that e-mail is an old one. The website is http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/scams-fraudes/rep-sig-eng.htm and the new form can be found at https://www.services.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/?ipeReferer=CAFCFRS. You will need to sign in using your GCKey, which is the same as your CRA MyAccount if you've filed your taxes before and have an account.

And getting the cancellation number should be good, but according to the company, the cancellation is contingent upon you shipping back the product and paying for the shipping. This means there is essentially no risk to the company because you've paid for the shipping both ways. For a scam and a fraud, that does not sit right with me. And according to my credit card company, unless you fulfill the conditions of their policies, they cannot guarantee that you're fully protected, you can only file a dispute. Credit card companies will always try to retain their customers by promising the moon, but at the end of the day, the best way to ensure nothing is again withdrawn from the card is to cancel it and not open another one with them.

Are you protected by filing a dispute? Probably. Is there a possibility the company can still withdraw funds from your account if it's still active? Yes. Since my card company was not able to guarantee that future funds will not be withdrawn from my account, I cancelled my card.
Apr 2, 2017
4 posts
I win!

As an update, i wrote to customer service from both Nuvella and Renuvica and told them to come pick up the product themselves as per Ontario's Consumer Protection Act and indicated that I will be filing a dispute with the RCMP and Ontario Consumer Protection (https://www.ontario.ca/page/filing-consumer-complaint).

For your reference, here's the e-mail I wrote to them. I also included with it the notification of consumer complaint from Consumer Protection Ontario (https://www.ontario.ca/page/filing-consumer-complaint).

Dear Sir/Madam:

Please see PDFs.

This is a warning to you as well as legal protection to myself only, as I no longer want your product. According to the Consumer Protection Act, “You don’t need to give the business a reason for cancelling. For most contracts, the company has 15 days to return your money…If the contract was for a product, they are responsible for picking up the product or paying for it to be picked up if they want it back.”

Thus, if you want your product, you can come pick it up yourself. Please do not reply, as it will be ignored, unless you are coming to pick up your product. I will also be filing a complaint with Consumer Protection Ontario.

Today, I received the following from both customer service:

Dear _____,

Thank you for contacting email customer support.

We regret the inconvenience you have faced.

At this time we have been able to review your account and noticed that the order that you have placed for the products Nuvella and Renuvica was ordered on March 28th, 2017.

The program that was agreed upon when you placed the order was per the Terms and Conditions that this is a 14 days trial for Nuvella and 18 day trial for Renuvica in which the customer has the privilege of using a product for the cost of shipping and handling at this time. Then, after the trial period has expired, the customer is charged for the full price of the monthly supply bottle received during your trial period. Thereafter, automatic shipments are sent out and charged to the customer every month, eliminating the need to remember to reorder their favorite product. A customer is not obligated to continue automatic shipments and can request cancellation at any time.

However, we assure you that your account for the products Nuvella and Renuvica has been cancelled out effective from April 4th, 2017 and all your bank details have been deactivated. There will be no future shipments or additional charges applied on the account.

You are no longer required to send the product back.

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to email us or call our 24/7 helpline and speak to our Customer Support Executive for complete guidance.

Regards,

Email Customer Support

CA # 1- 844-340-2713

Dear _____,

This email is to confirm that your account with Nuvella has been canceled as of today. You will not receive any future shipments or charges. We are sorry to see you go.

If you change your mind and want to begin receiving this product again in the future, or if you need further assistance, please contact our Customer Service Team. We'll be happy to assist you in any way we can. Our customer service team is available 24/7 for your convenience and can be reached directly by calling 855-456-1836, or by replying directly to this email.

Thank you again, for your order, we appreciate your business!

Sincerely,

Nuvella | Customer Service Team

855-456-1836 | customerservice@trynuvella.com
Apr 3, 2017
1 posts
Yes I too have scammed. Same products but came up that Sears were closing their stores and they were clearing samples. If I tried it and wanted to buy it I could do so at another store. No reference to a need to cancel my order within 14 Days. Even worse product is supposed to 100% guaranteed but I can't even get it out of the bottle to try it. If there is law suit count me in.
Sep 13, 2015
1 posts
Montr
Also got caught - first time in 2 decades of buying stuff online :-( Also went down the Sears rabbit hole...

So... I called VISA, found the original Website (https://www.trynuvella.com/), but there's nowhere to purchase... went through my history and found the transaction part of the website (https://www.trynuvella.com/ca2/skin/upsell2.php). Now unfortunately their terms & conditions, just this side off legality... say they'll charge you after 15 days if you haven't returned the product to them AND they'll sign you up for a recurrent monthly subscription. Nowhere else is this mentioned. There wasn't much VISA could do - the rep explained that in the past they'd refunded these types of charges and gone after the merchant but since it wasn't technically illegal, they had lost their case; I'm a long standing customer, the rep sympathized and told me to call the number in the T&C to cancel the subscription and see what I could do, meanwhile he gave me a credit which covered a good chunk of the damage and transferred me so I could cancel my card (it was up for renewal in any case, so better safe than sorry).

I called the number in the T&C (855-456-1836) and spoke to rep there - as with others in this thread, he first offered a 30% refund, then a 50% refund if I returned the product (they probably believe most people won't follow through) - I found this little gem in the T&C : "...simply contact a Customer Service Representative to receive return instructions and self-addressed, prepaid postage." and told him that he had to send ME the prepaid postage. He put me on hold after that and later came back and offered the 50% refund without returning the product. So I took it - it was the best I was going to get.

I wrote to VISA afterwards to let them know of the resolution if they wanted to amend their credit - I felt bad being credited more than what my out of pocket was going to be - but I'm still mad at these scammers, so I'm sharing this far and wide! I also urged VISA to alert their customers when the first small transaction showed up since by the time the second one is billed, it's too late. So going for keywords here : NUVELLA HYDRACOREINFO.COM TALLANSTOWN

Make sure you get your cancellation/reimbursement emails before you hang up - if ever you're billed again, those are good enough for the credit card companies to be able to reverse the charges.
Apr 2, 2017
7 posts
1 upvote
Since everyone on here seems to be getting new cards with new numbers I phoned Capitol ONE Mastercard back and asked if my card should be replaced. He told me not to replace my card, that they would not use it again for fear that the credit card company THEN could go after then as they would then be absolutely breaking the law. I asked if he felt that there might be any chance of them giving or selling my CC number...he said none at all and even if they did then the result would be jail time and that these people like to stay just THIS SIDE of the law. He also told me they would be monitoring my card now....I have learned my lesson and will make sure to deal with HONEST online companies from now on hoping for karma to strike these SCAMMERS!
Apr 9, 2017
1 posts
1 upvote
This to inform you about another case: got caught 2x (wife and me) 2x charges...

...seems to be illegal practice in Ontario since 2005, however since it's online the transaction can take place anywhere in a different jurisdiction so that Ontario law does not apply. However, in their terms and conditions , there is no jurisdiction location mentioned (I doubt that's legal despite fluffy online business rules). So the consumer get's no idea where the company is and might assume in his home location where his home country rules apply.

Further, it should not mention 'Free trial" since misleading, but rather "sample" if so no cost associated, how can you do a trial with cosmetics which you will have to use to test (so consume)?
Are you going to send back the used cream t avoid costs?? This is obviously nonsense...and it's just set up to trap and mislead the consumers...abusing the ignorance of the consumer and misleading through using the word "Free" understood/interpreted by almost everyone as no cost! (and so getting less critical to the details mentioned in the T&C).

Their webpage should mention right in front ordering a free sample enrolls automatically in a subscription if not in time, I am sure that nobody would order then if it's just t get enrolled for trial period!!!!!!!

Further, it states (in the T&C) that only one trial per household is allowed. My house hold got 2 subscriptions charged. How is this possible.

Also the price of the product should be mentioned on the front... so all is constructed to to hide the real deal and intention, this is probably why Ontario has forbidden these practices already in 2005.
The law where the ordering individual is located should apply. But this seems to be grey zone so far allowing to rip off consumers in the meantime.

Is it possible to review with a lawyer? Specialized in cyber business rules.
Apr 11, 2017
1 posts
Happened to me too. 161.35 was taken from my acount today.
It's a scam, alright ! I pushed for quite a while and was given a refund of only 30%.
I was told by one operator that I must send both products back in order to cancel and further costs. She also stated that I could not stop the order for the Renuva, because I had not paid the $68, yet. Whaaa?
I called back to another number as was told that the Nuvella was now mine but the Renuva has to be back in a month.
Hell, It's going back tomorrow.
Just a note: There was a lot of noise in the background, and I found it difficult to hear the operator. "Oh. They are making some announcements." It was clearly a pep rally, and I heard the main voice say, "four thousand dollars", and then a lot of cheering. Cheering because they ripped so many people off.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel