Warranty on Apple vs Samsung phones

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2017 6:17 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19791 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
I had two issues with my iPhone can't remember the generations, keep in mind except for the first I owned every iPhone released so I can't pinpoint which. Anyways, I never have a problem Genius Bar replacing it.

Samsung. I never keep them long enough for me to have any issues until last year with my S7 edge where I had a dead pixel. Thinking the Samsung Store at Sherway Gardens works like Apple where they'll just replace it, they gave told me to go to Heartland location to get it serviced.

I'm thinking, **** here we go, the BS.

Happy to say I was wrong, I walked-in. The girl reviewed it to see if indeed it was a defect and after two minutes she filled out the forms for service. She said it will take 2+ hours.

They replaced the display, I cannot tell it was even worked on. I was very pleased.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
6089 posts
4352 upvotes
Doubleshot wrote: Actually Google store is better...Much better and easier to deal with than apple

Apple requires me to go into store with an appointment or protracted phone call...Google is just an email and replacement phone is couriered to me with a coffin to send old one back ...

Apple has fallen behind
Doubleshot wrote: Nope...Apple warranty process is garbage compared to google store
Doubleshot wrote: I shipped it in with their prepaid label ..

Google doesn't have physical stores and don't make you waste time like apple does to go in store to make an appt or make you call and have them try to troubleshoot and waste 20mins before agreeing

Google just email and reply within 12hrs that a replacement is on the way
:lol: Google shill
Apple offers the same option as Google in addition to going to a store. When your phone is broken on Thursday/Friday, you won't have a phone for at least 3 days whereas one can go to an Apple Store and get a refurbished/new phone within minutes. If you are shipping the phone by going to one of the courier's locations, that's more work than going to an Apple Store because you have to pack the phone.
Nov 7, 2016
237 posts
69 upvotes
Canada
Apple, definitely! Not only to they have brick and mortar stores but they also do express overnight shipping. No hassle!

Plus, if you want a second hand phone, definitely go with Apple. Their warranty is tied to the device, unlike Samsung who tie theirs to the BUYER. So even if you buy a used S8+, or BNIB and aren't the original buyer, you're out of luck. And that, right there, is really shitty. (That's only to state less known facts, unlike Apple's more polished OS and apps, faster RAM and memory management, mute button while in a call without the need to unlock your phone etc.)
Please fill out this field.
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1338 posts
451 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
hvwozq wrote: :lol: Google shill
Apple offers the same option as Google in addition to going to a store. When your phone is broken on Thursday/Friday, you won't have a phone for at least 3 days whereas one can go to an Apple Store and get a refurbished/new phone within minutes. If you are shipping the phone by going to one of the courier's locations, that's more work than going to an Apple Store because you have to pack the phone.
Why ? Google services is 24/7 and they ship out replacement phones a lot quicker than apple . I can request a replacement via email at 3am with one email...Apple store is horrible..Have to talk and make appt with the genius first..Never goto apple store for service..Always do it online..What is this..The 90s? Have to goto bricks and mortar stores tens of km away swarmed with people?

Apple stores are a lot further than a local UPS store... Closest apple store to me is 15km...Ups stores are everywhere

Apple doesn't even have 24/7 online support directly via phone and can't even remote in to do settings or other issues you have

Going to an Apple store? Really? There's what 5-6 in GTA? How's that convenient? No holidays..Only open during working hours...To fix or replace a phone will require hours to go there, make an appt with a genius ...

How's that easier than sending an email at 3am on good Friday and getting a replacement sent?
Last edited by Doubleshot on Apr 16th, 2017 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1338 posts
451 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
TwitchyPuppy wrote: Apple, definitely! Not only to they have brick and mortar stores but they also do express overnight shipping. No hassle!

Plus, if you want a second hand phone, definitely go with Apple. Their warranty is tied to the device, unlike Samsung who tie theirs to the BUYER. So even if you buy a used S8+, or BNIB and aren't the original buyer, you're out of luck. And that, right there, is really shitty. (That's only to state less known facts, unlike Apple's more polished OS and apps, faster RAM and memory management, mute button while in a call without the need to unlock your phone etc.)
You forgot worst part...Horrible screens on iphones using outdated tech with poor performance..But that will be fixed with iPhone 8 since they finally got Samsung to make their screens
Nov 4, 2015
79 posts
41 upvotes
Halifax
TwitchyPuppy wrote: Apple, definitely! Not only to they have brick and mortar stores but they also do express overnight shipping. No hassle!

I can't comment on Samsung, but if you buy a used google phone (pixel, nexus) google certainly will honor the warranty. LG also does as well based on my experience.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
6089 posts
4352 upvotes
Doubleshot wrote:
Why ? Google services is 24/7 and they ship out replacement phones a lot quicker than apple . I can request a replacement via email at 3am with one email...Apple store is horrible..Have to talk and make appt with the genius first..Never goto apple store for service..Always do it online..What is this..The 90s? Have to goto bricks and mortar stores tens of km away swarmed with people?

Apple stores are a lot further than a local UPS store... Closest apple store to me is 15km...Ups stores are everywhere

Apple doesn't even have 24/7 online support directly via phone and can't even remote in to do settings or other issues you have

Going to an Apple store? Really? There's what 5-6 in GTA? How's that convenient? No holidays..Only open during working hours...To fix or replace a phone will require hours to go there, make an appt with a genius ...

How's that easier than sending an email at 3am on good Friday and getting a replacement sent?
Doubleshot wrote: You forgot worst part...Horrible screens on iphones using outdated tech with poor performance..But that will be fixed with iPhone 8 since they finally got Samsung to make their screens
What a shill

Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
3668 posts
567 upvotes
Is this documented somewhere? I looked up their warranty site and can't seem to find this detail: http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/warranty/
Is this something they only tell you when you arrive at the store asking for help? I always thought it was just tied to IMEI/Phone serial number.

Apr 4, 2017
615 posts
512 upvotes
Doubleshot wrote: Why ? Google services is 24/7 and they ship out replacement phones a lot quicker than apple . I can request a replacement via email at 3am with one email...Apple store is horrible..Have to talk and make appt with the genius first..Never goto apple store for service..Always do it online..What is this..The 90s? Have to goto bricks and mortar stores tens of km away swarmed with people?

How does this work? I'm dealing with Google now and they require you to ship back your phone FIRST and then they will ship you a replacement phone. I prefer Android and the Pixel has been an amazong phone, but Apple just replaces on the spot with no hassle.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2012
2319 posts
620 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Doubleshot wrote: Actually Google store is better...Much better and easier to deal with than apple

Apple requires me to go into store with an appointment or protracted phone call...Google is just an email and replacement phone is couriered to me with a coffin to send old one back ...

Apple has fallen behind
Really? We had the complete opposite experience.

We have a Pixel and Google gave us a run around for the same issue twice. And even once we got them to fix it, it took almost a month to get the phone back.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)