Shopping Discussion

Warranty protection as a 2nd buyer?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2018 7:59 pm
Nov 24, 2017
178 posts
76 upvotes

Warranty protection as a 2nd buyer?

Is there a fast and hard rule as to how warranties work if you are not the original purchaser of a product?

Looking to buy an item that an acquaintance bought on their credit card who has since decided against it but is willing to sell it to me for a reduced amount, at a price I consider quite reasonable.
As this person is suddenly moving out of the country, my concern will be, as it is not yet registered but I will have the 4 week old receipt, will I be able to use it for warranty purposes if a problem develops at a later date.
Naturally I won't be able to chase them down for help if needed. Or assuming a return would be charged back to their credit card.

Any or all input appreciated.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
4495 posts
3437 upvotes
London
if u have the receipt for the item that should be all u will require
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
2290 posts
2343 upvotes
Toronto
Yes..the warranty should be able to transfer..
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17374 upvotes
Markham
Depending on what the item is, you may get warranty protection even without a receipt. I've recently made claims on warranty (no receipt) on a Fiskars pruner (lifetime warranty) and a Moen faucet (replaced cartridge). In both cases, the manufacturer replaced the item for free.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
3872 posts
2505 upvotes
Smiley22 wrote: Yes..the warranty should be able to transfer..
Not always, for example for graphics cards some brands will allow but others don't
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5010 upvotes
Toronto
Technically, most written warranties specify that it only applies to the original purchaser. However, in this particular case, item hasn't been registered and OP has the original receipt, so manufacturer doesn't know that OP wasn't the original purchaser.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9473 posts
2650 upvotes
Most, especially extended warranties only apply to the original purchaser. Every time I see a Lenovo or Thinkpad listed for sale with an extended warranty, I know that the extended warranty is not valid on resale. How do i know? I bought a Thinkpad T460S from the buy and sell section a while ago and tried to transfer the extended warranty - Lenovo refused, the extended warranty is only valid for the original purchaser was the response that I had received. I would have to have the original purchaser make the extended warranty claim should there ever be an issue, fat chance with that.

Luckily, I haven't had a problem with the computer at all.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)