• Jul 16th, 2012 5:41 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2006
2451 posts
873 upvotes

Warranty: Well done SONY!

In 11/2012, I bought an OBox SONY 5K for $399 with a free 2-year extra warranty from FS.

I was always in a nice camera pouch and was not used that much. This spring there was some "shadow" on the LCD screen alike to some coating going off. I went to FS which referred me back to SONY (first year is the manufacturer's warranty, after it is FS).

I brought it in myself to SONY repair facility in Burnaby. They kept me informed of the process by e-mail. The last one signalling me that the repair was completed and the 5K on its way.

Eh... They send me an all new 5K in a shiny packaging box! Thank you SONY.

This is a reminder to myself who lately orders a lot from the U.S. that warranty is indeed important.

P.S.: A few years ago, FUJI wanted to make me pay a ridiculous amount for an LCD that was half garbled despite me buying their P&S because of their 2-year warranty. I guess some brands are to be trusted more than others, isn't it Mr Fuji.
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
You mean 11/2011? Because November 2012 hasn't happened yet unless you're from the future ;)
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
1868 posts
174 upvotes
Southern ontario
Yeah, sony warranty is amazing. a decade ago i had send a sony trinitron 21inch monitor to the depot for service. it was "lost" in the depot. they gave me the newest top of the line 21 inch back then.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1026 upvotes
Amazon (or somebody) need to find a way to rate companies on theirr warranty support and not just singular products.

If Sony is this much better than the competition for warranty support I'd be more inclined to buy from them.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
2553 posts
194 upvotes
I had a similar situation like op. They fixed it for me on the spot lol. Also free coffee.
Protip : You save more money when you're not on RFD! :lol:
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18021 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
Its nice to hear good stories about companies that stand behind their products. Most of the time, we rarely hear the good, just the screwjobs who leave customers getting the short end of the stick.

I have only had 2 repairs made on Sony products. One was for a busted remote which they fixed. The other was some buzzing noise on the Bravia LCD which they replaced the entire board and the unit worked wonderfully.

Sony stuff may be pricey and not the most cutting edge, but at least their warranty appears to be decent. Let's hope it does not go downhill as other brands have done.
Nov 18, 2011
513 posts
13 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Sony has great customer support my 2 examples. My digital camara broke 3 days before the warranty ended I took it in for repair they fixed it no questions asked.. My tv had a recall I had issues 4 yrs after it was purchased they sent a tech to my house to change the defective part.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)