Off Topic Archive

Locked: washer for appartment? Possible to hook up to a kitchen sink???

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 5th, 2006 12:17 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
2085 posts
25 upvotes
Calgary

washer for appartment? Possible to hook up to a kitchen sink???

Update:

I'm only looking for a washer now. I will hang dry.

Can you hook a regular washer up to a kitchen sink??

I'm looking at buying a washer and dryer for my apartment.

I'm getting sick of spending approx $80 on laundry a month ($2 wash & $2 dry)

I'm just looking for something that I can plug into a standard 120volt outlet and hook the washer up to the sink.

How well do they work?
Any suggestions on models?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
MY HEATWARE - Available upon request
MY EBAY - Available upon request
Share:
15 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
2085 posts
25 upvotes
Calgary
:arrowu:
Nov 24, 2005
697 posts
5 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
make sure you read your lease closely, some prohibit the use of washers and dryers in the rental units.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2003
3306 posts
19 upvotes
Mississauga
mrsmagoo2001 wrote:make sure you read your lease closely, some prohibit the use of washers and dryers in the rental units.
A lot of them do because they cause suds to back up in the water distribution system. Not pleasant for everyone else in the apartment building when they have soap suds coming out of their kitchen sink drain :| .
SMSEM v2.6 - Master System/Game Gear/Sega Genesis emulator
2600K-4Ghz|Asus P8P67 PRO|16GB DDR3-1600|HD7950 3GB|Mushkin Enh Eco 2 240GB|1TB|2TB|Creative SB XFi|BD-RW|2x 24" LCD
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
2085 posts
25 upvotes
Calgary
My lease aggreement says nothing about washing machines, etc. I just read it over :D .
Feb 3, 2005
957 posts
Haier (Chinese brand) has got an apartment washer that you could hook up to your bathroom sink. You could only do small loads but it's pretty neat. Plug in to an outlet, turn on the fountain to the water level you want, and then put the tube in the sink and you're set. One of my relatives bought me one when I was living in an apartment and I found it to be very convenient. I didn't need a dryer, I just let it dry naturally.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
2085 posts
25 upvotes
Calgary
gamovafan wrote:Haier (Chinese brand) has got an apartment washer that you could hook up to your bathroom sink. You could only do small loads but it's pretty neat. Plug in to an outlet, turn on the fountain to the water level you want, and then put the tube in the sink and you're set. One of my relatives bought me one when I was living in an apartment and I found it to be very convenient. I didn't need a dryer, I just let it dry naturally.
Thanks for the reply!

It sounds pretty neat, but I'm looking for something similar to an actual wash and dryer.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2005
2389 posts
1130 upvotes
Toronto
If you buy a portable washer, it already comes with the hose attachments and adapter to hook up to your kitchen sink without you having to convert anything. On the plus side, it is 120V, whereas if you buy a regular washing machine, you'll have to convert your outlet to 220V to handle it and buy the hoses to hook up.

I had a portable washer (sold it a couple of months ago) and never had a problem with the suds clogging up. It had a built-in timer where the water would drain out, stop for a few seconds and then continue on..
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2002
4688 posts
4625 upvotes
Toronto
cluless wrote:On the plus side, it is 120V, whereas if you buy a regular washing machine, you'll have to convert your outlet to 220V to handle it and buy the hoses to hook up.
Uhhh... Pretty much all washing machines are 120V standard circuit appliances.
Yes, Here's to the few
Who forgive what you do
And the fewer who don't even care.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2001
5086 posts
27 upvotes
Vancouver
hoob wrote:Uhhh... Pretty much all washing machines are 120V standard circuit appliances.
Not here in BC, i've never seen a 120v washer/dryer...
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2003
3306 posts
19 upvotes
Mississauga
grant wrote:Not here in BC, i've never seen a 120v washer/dryer...
My washer is 120V, but not my dryer.
SMSEM v2.6 - Master System/Game Gear/Sega Genesis emulator
2600K-4Ghz|Asus P8P67 PRO|16GB DDR3-1600|HD7950 3GB|Mushkin Enh Eco 2 240GB|1TB|2TB|Creative SB XFi|BD-RW|2x 24" LCD
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4518 posts
260 upvotes
Victoria
Typically you'll have two circuits for a w/d. One 120 for a washer and another 240 (or sometimes 120) for the dryer.

You can get both a portable washer and a portable dryer for your appartment. There's something called a "ventless" dryer available now (or condenser dryer). They're usually a washer and dryer combined into one.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
2085 posts
25 upvotes
Calgary
I think I'm just going to get a washer for now.

Can I hook a regular washer up to the kitchen sink (not a portable one)?
× < >