• Jun 23rd, 2019 1:35 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 15, 2007
186 posts
81 upvotes
LAval

Washer that won't break in 5 years?

Shopping for a washer, currently sitting on an almost 11 year old Whirlpool Cabrio that's still kicking along with hiccups. So many choices out there but they all look the same to me. Some say Maytag is the way to go, some say top load only vs front. What's out there that you would buy?
38 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2137 posts
1455 upvotes
SW Ontario
Whirlpool top load ... it replaced an AEG front load, and I don't think I'll ever go back to front loading ... just too many issues and I find they don't seem to clean as well.
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10817 posts
5158 upvotes
Brampton
No Samsungs

I would consider LG steam models.

For barebones
Whirlpool
(Maytag whirlpool are made by the same company)

Fancier (read pricier)
Miele

For HE front loaders youll want to use a low sudsing low residue soap to help reduce issues.
Ive had good experiences with

Ecos
Nellie's
Persil
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
2955 posts
1755 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
m5love wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2019 3:05 pm
Shopping for a washer, currently sitting on an almost 11 year old Whirlpool Cabrio that's still kicking along with hiccups. So many choices out there but they all look the same to me. Some say Maytag is the way to go, some say top load only vs front. What's out there that you would buy?
These days, you spend your moneys and you take your chances. Sadly, seven years is the average life expectancy of the ironically labelled "durable goods".
It's really a crap shoot, as failure rates among all manufacturers varies by product and model.

I'm leery of Samsung and LG. More so Samsung, after their recent washing machine debacle and lack of replacement parts for their refrigerators. If you stick with North American products, you at least stand a chance of being able to obtain parts.

We really should be outraged at this nonsense. There is a right to repair bill introduced to Parliament in regards to electronics, and while there is some crossover to appliances, I feel it should extend to all parts on every manufactured product.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11709 posts
3049 upvotes
GTA
Search forum, same question has been asked multiple times.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3233 posts
782 upvotes
Oshawa
m5love wrote:
No guarantee that it won't break. It all depends on how you use it ... and mainly ... luck with electronics ...

We still have the MOFFAT dryer ... bought in 1988 and it is still working!

The MOFFAT washer (top load) was working from 1988 until it died in 2014 ... replaced with a MayTag (top load) ...
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14549 posts
3852 upvotes
London
m5love wrote:

If you are into old school machines, Costco carries the Maytag commercial washer
https://www.costco.ca/Maytag-4.0-cu.-ft ... 70597.html
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1806 posts
1139 upvotes
If it's in a basement, where people aren't going to see it, I would buy an older used quality top loader set for a few hundred bucks and call it a day. They aren't pretty but will last 20 years.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
12220 posts
3015 upvotes
Montréal
Adhere to the KISS principle, more features/complications/questionable designs, more prone to failure.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
6096 posts
843 upvotes
LG washer. Used mine for 9 years+ in my previous house without issue. Bought another LG set for my current house.
Aug 13, 2011
544 posts
102 upvotes
Scarborough southwes…
I have a 2010 top of the line Samsung pair. The washer has been rock solid and Silvercare actually seems to work as promised.
The dryer started making loud noises less than a month past warranty period. Still works but even after I opened it up and tightened all the bits not sure what's shaking.
Samsung said nothing they can do since warranty over. Would cost like $150 to have guy just show up at door. any repair would be extra on top.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5543 posts
1686 upvotes
Space
I have a Samsung set from 2013 I believe. No issues. If I was going to replace my set now, I’d look at whirlpool. That’s what most appliance techs seem to recommend.
[OP]
Dec 15, 2007
186 posts
81 upvotes
LAval
So in conclusion, it's a lucky draw. I'm eyeing the Maytag from Costco with the Costco warranty. Let's see.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
10999 posts
8200 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Maytag Top Loader HE
Stainless Still Drum
No Agitator (uses HE technology)
Ours is about 10 years old now
It’s a workhorse
And we’ve had no issues whatsoever
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1248 posts
398 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Just had a new stove delivery. The guy told us that Samsung and LG stoves are the worst - 3 years on average, he said, so I probably wouldn't buy their washers, either.