Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
1875 posts
573 upvotes
Brampton, ON

Wasps in the backyard!

This problem happens every year but this year seems to be particularly bad. I cannot see a nest but they always go under the top part of the fence especially in the corner of the yard.

I have tried the 2L bottle method using a sugar base as well as a 2L bottle of meat. They unfortunately do not seem to be interested at all.

I have now sprayed the suspected area twice with some "Wilson one shot" spray that is targeted towards wasps but it did nothing either.

Online says to try peppermint oil as they hate the smell of it so I may try that next.

Any other suggestions?
15 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1671 posts
869 upvotes
Ottawa
You can't just spray the "suspected" area. You need to find the nest and spray it.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
2678 posts
86 upvotes
GTA
sandav wrote:
May 17th, 2018 4:20 pm
You can't just spray the "suspected" area. You need to find the nest and spray it.
+1

you need that stuff to penetrate their nest and get on the wasps themselves
the foam will expand to fill their nest, and coat them all with the substance
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
2718 posts
1822 upvotes
The presence of wasps is really not usually a concern. The type we have in Canada aren't very aggressive, and they are good for the environment, just like bees. Don't attack them, and they won't bother you. Their nest only survives one season, so they'll go away in the fall. On occasions when we've had wasp nests in our yard, they come out and buzz around a bit when I pass just a few inches away with the lawn mower, but they're never aggressive.
Jan 1, 2013
806 posts
231 upvotes
Durham
I don't have this problem, but there are many old wasp nests in the various peaks around my roof but have never seen much wasps around since I moved to this house. I would assume they build nests much higher then a fence?
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2581 posts
2101 upvotes
Vancouver
Exp315 wrote:
May 18th, 2018 10:27 am
The presence of wasps is really not usually a concern. The type we have in Canada aren't very aggressive, and they are good for the environment, just like bees. Don't attack them, and they won't bother you. Their nest only survives one season, so they'll go away in the fall. On occasions when we've had wasp nests in our yard, they come out and buzz around a bit when I pass just a few inches away with the lawn mower, but they're never aggressive.
Maybe the wasps in Ontario are tamer, but the wasps here in BC can be really unpredictable. I had one fly into my sandal one time and sting me on the bottom of my foot. I was sitting reading a book at the time. It took two days before I could walk normally.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
2718 posts
1822 upvotes
Kiraly wrote:
May 18th, 2018 10:38 am
Maybe the wasps in Ontario are tamer, but the wasps here in BC can be really unpredictable. I had one fly into my sandal one time and sting me on the bottom of my foot. I was sitting reading a book at the time. It took two days before I could walk normally.
I'm in BC. Any wasp that gets trapped between your foot and your sandal is going to be annoyed and try to sting you! Once while I was cycling I had a wasp accidentally fly into the small ventilation hole in my helmet and get stuck between the helmet and the top of my head. It was stinging me while I was frantically trying to come to a stop, undo the buckle and rip the helmet off. Ouch! But hard to blame the wasp. Incidentally this is why your bicycle helmet should have mesh over the ventilation holes. :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
1875 posts
573 upvotes
Brampton, ON
sandav wrote:
May 17th, 2018 4:20 pm
Issue with this is that I can't see the nest. I always see them around a particular corner of the backyard going under the fence but that's it. I will look again today since the weather is too cool for them to be flying around.

Thanks for the advice.
Aug 31, 2006
914 posts
78 upvotes
I know it seems silly but try one of those paper wasp nests. My mother has a couple in her yard and it's been effective. It's probably not 100% but it's worth a shot.

Feb 17, 2013
32 posts
11 upvotes
The beasts are most likely to sting near their nest, so if you're gonna probe for it, then wear really thick clothing--maybe a denim or leather suit.

Sometimes they've built a hive hidden inside a wood structure or metal channel. In that case spraying the the entrance/exit hole heavily usually does the trick.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
1875 posts
573 upvotes
Brampton, ON
vanessie wrote:
May 18th, 2018 3:32 pm
I know it seems silly but try one of those paper wasp nests. My mother has a couple in her yard and it's been effective. It's probably not 100% but it's worth a shot.

Thanks for the suggestion. I guess the point of a fake nest is to prevent other wasps from making a nest nearby due to territory issues.

I assume my wasps have already established a nest so I wonder what their reaction would be if I put that monster right beside them lol.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
1875 posts
573 upvotes
Brampton, ON
fletch39 wrote:
May 18th, 2018 5:15 pm
The beasts are most likely to sting near their nest, so if you're gonna probe for it, then wear really thick clothing--maybe a denim or leather suit.

Sometimes they've built a hive hidden inside a wood structure or metal channel. In that case spraying the the entrance/exit hole heavily usually does the trick.
I only spray in the evening when there is little to no wasp activity and luckily haven't been stung yet. I also do a wide spray as you suggest because I have no idea where exactly their nest is.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
5394 posts
1158 upvotes
Whitby
flyingnurse wrote:
May 18th, 2018 11:16 am
Issue with this is that I can't see the nest. I always see them around a particular corner of the backyard going under the fence but that's it. I will look again today since the weather is too cool for them to be flying around.
Sounds like the nest is in the ground, that's common with yellow jackets.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6081 posts
744 upvotes
Years ago they had formed a nest in a hollow under my neighbors front steps. It had to have been an enormous nest because there were large numbers of wasps all over the neighborhood searching for food. The neighbors had ignored the situation allowing it to get completely out of control and after I got after them they got an exterminator in who took care of it. With the nest gone all the wasps disappeared.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
1875 posts
573 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Zamboni wrote:
May 19th, 2018 7:02 am
Sounds like the nest is in the ground, that's common with yellow jackets.
My explanation about location isn't clear but it isn't underground for sure. It's near the top of the fence near the horizontal piece of wood of the fence.

I have sprayed another round of the wasp spray. I again looked under the fence but can't find a nest but they all go there though...

I will see how it looks at the next nice day of the week.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)