Off Topic Archive

Locked: Watch got wet. Will it ever work again?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 2nd, 2006 12:38 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Nov 7, 2004
302 posts

Watch got wet. Will it ever work again?

I guess i did not seal it right because when i opened my mio ulitimate watch, there was condensation inside. it had been raining that day. i put in new battery but no life.
Share:
20 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2004
4134 posts
254 upvotes
if it's a digital watch... it's probably done for.
"I live my life a quarter-mile at a time, for those 10 seconds or less... i'm free."

11 Never Summer Heritage, 08 Rome Targa
08 Nitro Eero Ettala 155, 07 Rome 390
07 Capita Outdoor Living 154
Cervelo Soloist Carbon Ultegra
Deal Fanatic
Sep 5, 2002
6618 posts
939 upvotes
I dont know, its difficult to say.

If its just fresh water it shouldnt hurt the electronics. You could dip your computers mobo into distilled water, dry it off again and it would most likely work fine.

If its been in salty water, maybe try to rinse it with a saline soln or something sterile first, make sure its non-corrosive, non conductive, and is as pure as possible.

For now leave the case open (ie the back panel off) and let it fully dry out. Then re-test it. Or blow it dry with compressed air.

It also depends how far you take a part the watch.
Originally Posted by uruha:
I saw a customer returning a book at Costco + telling the employee that the book was good.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
20372 posts
1594 upvotes
Take out the battery now! Then open as much as you can, and let it sit for a few days. My MyFi got wet, and I was able to let it dry.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
3821 posts
242 upvotes
Calgary
JohnB wrote:I dont know, its difficult to say.

If its been in salty water, maybe try to rinse it with a saline soln or something sterile first, make sure its non-corrosive, non conductive, and is as pure as possible.
If you cant avoid stupid advice then dont give any.

Saline is conductive and will leave salt when it evaporates.
[OP]
Banned
Nov 7, 2004
302 posts
It got wet in the rain. it worked in rain but by time i got home it was dead. i thought a saline solution is salty water. it is digital watch. heart rate monitor. not even the light comes on. my digital camera fell in river once and resumed working a few days later.im drying with blow dryer. thanks for the advice.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2005
2986 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver
I have a swiss army watch, the seal never worked properly after I changed the battery so sometimes when I wash dishes or cars for a prolong time, water gets in, the whole thing would fog up inside and I can't see a thing. My fix is put it on my laptop (ON) overnight, I must have done it over 20 times by now works like a charm. :)
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4988 posts
2 upvotes
whoa. watches that have bad seals, that get soaked on the inside after it rains?

that's not good. all my watches, even those cheap night market ones do well in the rain. :confused:
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
11917 posts
218 upvotes
A heat source is your friend. My preference is bending a desk lamp down until the shade almost comes in contact with the watch....it gets very hot under there and evaporates off any water.
[OP]
Banned
Nov 7, 2004
302 posts
im guessing that i did not put seal in right when i replaced battery. it is an expensive watch.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4988 posts
2 upvotes
deep wrote:A heat source is your friend. .
i thought google was.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
3821 posts
242 upvotes
Calgary
politicallyincorrect wrote:im guessing that i did not put seal in right when i replaced battery. it is an expensive watch.
You are sure that (a) The battery is good and (b) you didnt put it in backwards?????
Deal Fanatic
Sep 5, 2002
6618 posts
939 upvotes
Cough wrote:If you cant avoid stupid advice then dont give any.

Saline is conductive and will leave salt when it evaporates.
JohnB wrote: If its been in salty water, maybe try to rinse it with a saline soln or something sterile first, make sure its non-corrosive, non conductive, and is as pure as possible.
Yikes sorry about that I didnt mean saline, as it is a saltwater sol'n. I guess you were not able to understand the next few words I wrote.

My advice isnt stupid, its generally how you try to "repair" a cheap quartz watch thats wet. Aside from the saline of course.

So lose the attitude.
Originally Posted by uruha:
I saw a customer returning a book at Costco + telling the employee that the book was good.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
3821 posts
242 upvotes
Calgary
JohnB wrote:Yikes sorry about that I didnt mean saline, as it is a saltwater sol'n. I guess you were not able to understand the next few words I wrote.

My advice isnt stupid, its generally how you try to "repair" a cheap quartz watch thats wet. Aside from the saline of course.

So lose the attitude.
The term is distilled water
[OP]
Banned
Nov 7, 2004
302 posts
tried two new batteries and even tested with volt meter.
put battery in both ways. but negative is supposed to face up.
× < >